Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/31/2005 8:50:57 PM EDT
I've been hankering after an FAL for a while, but couldn't take the plunge to pay big bucks for a DSA.  We don't see many FALs around here - I've seen 3 total at the last 3 gunshows.  Two crapped out pieces of scrap and one "brand new" Century R1A1.  I thought I got a pretty decent price on it and figured no big deal if had to change a few parts out here and there.  My wife said to go ahead and buy it since it just happened to be my birthday.

My father was in town for a few days before Christmas, so I took the day off and took him to the range the Tuesday before Christmas.  First time out for the FAL.  It looked pretty clean, so I gave it a light oiling and headed out.  We shot about 120 rounds through my M1 and had a lot fun.  Shot about 200 rounds through one of my AR15s, and had a lot of fun.  Started off with the FAL to set the regulator.  Set the gas regulator to 7, chambered the one round in the mag, fired, and the bolt stuck half retracted.  And I mean STUCK.  I tried hammering on the cocking handle with the heel of my hand and the bolt would not retract all the way.  Pulled a urethane mallet out of my bag and tried pounding it back with that - all I did was break the damn cocking handle off the body.  OK, its aluminum and I probably should have known better.  When we got home, I just stuck the FAL in my gun safe fairly disgusted.

With year-end being the usual bitch that it is for me, I didn't get a chance to work on it until tonight.  I managed to pound the bolt back by hammering a steel cleaning rod down the barrel.  Took quite a bit of effort.  The case (when it finally came out) looked absolutely normal.  It was South African surplus .308 that has functioned perfectly in my PTR91.  OK I thought, freak occurrence with the gas regulator set to let almost all the gas out the barrel- next time out I'll start with it at 6 or maybe even 5.  

Then I started to strip the POS and learned just what a piece of crap I bought.  All the pins are rusty or had been inserted using sand as a lubricant.  Then I started to strip the bolt.  The firing pin and spring came out a crusty brown mess with the unmistakeable smell of stale body odor.  Great, at least Century used a liquid (sweat) as the lubricant on the firing pin and firing pin spring rather than sand.  I'm not sure I'm up for what the gas system will hold for me - definitely not up for it tonight.  I know I ought to send this thing back to Century, and I may, but I'm not sure I trust what they will do to it after seeing what they did with this POS.  

Thankfully its almost time to toast the New Year with the wife.  Maybe the champagne will dull the pain.     By the way - my wife felt so bad about the FAL that yesterday she bought me one of the Winchester Limited Series 1885 High Walls in .45-90.  I guess if I had invested that much in an FAL I would not have been as disappointed as I am with the R1A1.  This was my first Century rifle, and it will definitely be my last.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 9:10:53 PM EDT
[#1]
That's awful. You box that nasty thing up and all that terrible SA ammo and ship it to me for proper disposal.

Did you buy it new from a dealer? Take it back if you did. I've got a couple of Century R1A1s that run just fine. They're both built on the Imbel recievers so that takes care of most of the problems that Century seems to have.

Oh, BTW. that's not "sweat" you found, but instead "angry beaver drool"  
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 1:17:49 AM EDT
[#2]
Never heard of the pogo method for clearing a jam, huh??? There's a decent chance that there's absolutely nothing wrong with that rifle, other than operator error - a little more gas, and she *might've* run like a champ...

- georgestrings
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 4:55:27 AM EDT
[#3]
The Century's can be a real crap shoot. Some of them needs tinkering to function correctly. I built a L1A1 on a Century receiver and had to bend the magazine lips to prevent jamming. Once debugged they run alright. Since DSA has come out with a true inch pattern receiver I will someday replace this one.
Also, I found the rifle functions best with the gas regulator set anywhere from 3-5.

Good luck

MikeyBat
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 8:21:58 AM EDT
[#4]
For those that read this with little or no experience with F A Ls...

Always clean a new firearm before you shoot it. REGARDLESS of  manufacturer. These things are built by humans and that should always be a consideration.

Set the gas fully closed and work your way toward open. This will save you much time and aggrivation. When you get to a gas setting that will not lock the bolt to the rear on the last round ( metric versions), close the gas two clicks and keep on rockin'. (Inch versions do not have an automatic bolt hold open on last round feature)
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 10:39:29 AM EDT
[#5]
It's not opperator error at all, It's the fact that Century gun are built like shit! We have had the chance to fire over 12 Century built rifle's over the past several years. Fal's, CETME's, WASR-10's ect and every single one was a total piece of shit. Not one gun made it through a full mag without jamming in one way or another. Even the AK type rifles would not run, how the heak do you mess up an AK? Century sure can!  I've never seen a Century gun run as it should and I don't think I ever will as there are so few out there that do.

Century should be ashamed of themselves and I'm surprised that they stay in business with the crap they put out. If you send them your FAL you can bet they won't fix it right because I think they employe monkeys and apes to build their guns and fix them.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 2:27:43 PM EDT
[#6]
wow, it's good to see that alot of you guys aren't biased

I couldn't agree more with what Maddogkiller said... clean it, clean the damn gun!

So, I suppose that if your life depended on your brand new CCW piece, you'ed eye it over, and say "eh, looks clean" then get pissed when it jams from all the packing grease?

Not only does cleaning a gun before using it ensure that the weapon is clean, ready for use, and functioning. But, there is No better way to familiarize yourself with both the design and the operation of the firearm.

I don't buy all this Century bashing that goes on, and the fair share seems to come from gun-show commandos... you know the type, maybe 5' 3 and running about 275lbs... and they know Exactly what is wrong and right about each and every gun there.

I own two centurys  a  WASR-10  which I love, and I've never had 1 problem with it, and a FAL with a IMBEL reciever, which, after figuring out which way the gas plug goes in, works Flawlessly.

My Dad also has a WASR-10, he loves it, and he's pretty damn good with it too.

Century is Not the cadillac of guns, but, you Don't pay the cadillac price for them either.

If you don't like it, triple your buying price, and go get a DSA.

Otherwise, you can put a little more time and money into it, and probably have a fun rifle.

-Teflon
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 6:57:59 PM EDT
[#7]
I have a CETME and Two AK's from Century..All of them work great..I did take them apart and clean them first....Try it again after you clean it and fix the charge handle. I wonder if you screwed the bolt  or even barrel up pounding on it with a steel rod. Check it  clean it or send it to me for parts.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 1:39:20 PM EDT
[#8]
In reference to SkagSig40's comments - 1st off, I've gotta wonder exactly how you know what is, or isn't wrong with the rifle in question - just how did you determine that this ISN'T a case of operator error??? He obviously didn't know the proper way to clear a FTE jam, from his own words... 2nd - I've owned and shot a few Century guns, and none of them were the POS's that I constantly hear about - in fact, I'd put my SAR-1 up against ANY AK clone when it comes to accuracy and reliability... I don't doubt that Century HAS put out quite a few POS's - but look at how many guns they've put out, and consider that they most often sell to the inexperienced...

From Wags' own words, he vented ALL the action gas, then BROKE the rifle by improperly clearing the jam caused by it - and you are still sure that it wasn't operator error??? I'm not making that call just yet - and I'd be willing to bet that I could've made that rifle run(before it came to it's current state), to be honest... ANY FAL will have a FTE jam if you overly vent it's cycling gasses - and you DON'T  clear it by pounding on the charging handle, nor ramming something down the barrel...

- georgestrings
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 3:19:34 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
In reference to SkagSig40's comments - 1st off, I've gotta wonder exactly how you know what is, or isn't wrong with the rifle in question - just how did you determine that this ISN'T a case of operator error??? He obviously didn't know the proper way to clear a FTE jam, from his own words... 2nd - I've owned and shot a few Century guns, and none of them were the POS's that I constantly hear about - in fact, I'd put my SAR-1 up against ANY AK clone when it comes to accuracy and reliability... I don't doubt that Century HAS put out quite a few POS's - but look at how many guns they've put out, and consider that they most often sell to the inexperienced...

From Wags' own words, he vented ALL the action gas, then BROKE the rifle by improperly clearing the jam caused by it - and you are still sure that it wasn't operator error??? I'm not making that call just yet - and I'd be willing to bet that I could've made that rifle run(before it came to it's current state), to be honest... ANY FAL will have a FTE jam if you overly vent it's cycling gasses - and you DON'T  clear it by pounding on the charging handle, nor ramming something down the barrel...

- georgestrings

Yeah, I screwed up not cleaning it before taking it out.  First time and last time for that.  As to the gas setting, I was following the instructions I have seen in every magazine article or post about the FAL.  Start at 7?  Probably not the best idea.  No, I hadn't heard of the pogo method of clearing, but you live and learn.  Thanks, now I know.  What if still doesn't eject?  The case/blt were jammed pretty solid.

Operator error, probably.  I don't, however, see how you can excuse CAI for shipping a "new" rifle with a firing pin and spring that were rusted together.

Wags

Link Posted: 1/2/2006 3:53:20 PM EDT
[#10]
First you didn't use enough gas. So the bolt doesn't have enough steam to overcome the recoil springs in the butt. Consequently, the expanded case is jambed back into the chamber locking up the gun.

Next time use a lower gas setting, like 3. If the gun jambs like this again, remove the magazine, grab the cocking handle and pull down hard as you slam the gun butt first onto the shooting bench. Some folks just hold the gun upright and step on the charging handle. Either way it will force the expended round from the chamber. Lower the gas setting and move on.

Clean out out that 40 year old dried cosmoline with mineral spirits or gun scrubber.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 5:24:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 5:40:53 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
 I know I ought to send this thing back to Century, and I may, but I'm not sure I trust what they will do to it after seeing what they did with this POS.  

FWIW, try calling Customer Service and talking somewhat civilly to the ladies there.
I had a CETME that broke a recoil spring rod. I could not have asked for better service or quicker shipping of the replacement part.
She offered a FEDex call ticket to send the gun in, but I told her I'd replace the spring and plate. She  sent a whole new back end and i just slipped it on the gun.
Now I have a $300. gun that runs fine, is reasonably accurate, and fun. That's all I could expect for $300.
Just try calling, it can't hurt.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 6:03:41 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Ok so you have a Springfield Armory M1A and a PTR91.......and you didn't want to "shell out" the money for a quality FAL like a DSA?

Ooookkk....

Well.....ya lerned your lesson.  I hope everything works out.

We'll see.  Ordered some relacement parts and a couple of tools from DSA (yes, I know I should have bought a whole DSA).  By the way, I have a HRA M1 from the CMP ($450, shipping included) not a Springfield M1A, and I got the PTR91 for under $650, new.

Wags
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 6:59:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 8:05:48 PM EDT
[#15]
Wags-

Yeah, don't let it get you down dude. Just after I bought my Century FAL, I cleaned her before even taking her out, and then I re-installed the gas plug incorrectly. I thought she was busted, but I did some tinkering, and figured out my problem.

I also TRIED adjusting my gas setting the way all the manuals suggest, start at 7 and work down... well, after three jams, and having to wedge the stock into my hip and tug that damned cocking handle, I thought to myself, 'well, this is stupid' and dropped it to 3 then worked my way back up, till I got A jam.  Maybe not the "text-book" way to do things, but, it was sure alot less frustrating.

But now, she runs like a champ. I just had her out in the country yesterday, 3 mags: 2  1/2 slowfire, 1/2 rambo...errr rapidfire. Not one jam. Full cans of cheap walmart soda, costs less than paper targets, at a guestimated 75-100 yds (shaken up)....Kapow....   Poof*

Yeah, I love my FAL.

P.S. - No, really, try the soda thing... It's kickass.

-Teflon
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 10:26:25 PM EDT
[#16]
My second gunwas a century cetme and that was the gun that changed the way I think about guns. I now have no problem spending the money if I have it on a quality product after screwing with that POS. For starters you had to beat on the magazines to get them to lock in and if you didnt have a FTE then you would have a FTF.

I bought a FAL parts kit for 200$ a Vulcan reciever for 175$ and had my gunsmith install the barrel and check the headspace and test fire for 50$. And life is great.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 10:51:02 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

- georgestrings

The gun should not have jammed the shell like that even with the improper gas setting. I'm pissed at Century for the crap that they kick out. I did not pay for any of the guns(except 2) I fired over the years that Century built. I just had the chance to test fire many of them and I kid you not in 12 guns fired not 1 made it through a full mag with out a jam. In my book that is totally unexceptable!!!!! If I performed my job as poorly as Century does I would have been fired long ago!!!! I know some folks did get a good Century gun here and there but that is not good enough.
     Some folks have to work very hard for $300 and if they choose to spend their money with Century the least Century could do is provide a reliable gun for them that was put together properly. Century knows about their QC problems and in all these years they have refused to address them!!! That is why I hate and bash them. They screw folks over time and time again and for that reason they deserve to go under and I hope they do.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 11:16:45 PM EDT
[#18]
Sorry to hear about that , I have never had one , but have had a few friends that have and they all say also that they will never do that again, brighter picture is We all know you will enjoy the High Wall GOOD LUCK
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 11:39:44 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

- georgestrings

Yeah, I screwed up not cleaning it before taking it out.  First time and last time for that.  As to the gas setting, I was following the instructions I have seen in every magazine article or post about the FAL.  Start at 7?  Probably not the best idea.  No, I hadn't heard of the pogo method of clearing, but you live and learn.  Thanks, now I know.  What if still doesn't eject?  The case/blt were jammed pretty solid.

Operator error, probably.  I don't, however, see how you can excuse CAI for shipping a "new" rifle with a firing pin and spring that were rusted together.

Wags

Wags - The "pogo" method of clearing a jam is pretty much SOP in the military - and is nearly guaranteed to clear an FTE jam - it uses the inertia of the bolt and carrier to help free things up... As for your rifle, yeah, you should ALWAYS clean, inspect, and properly lube a gun before firing it the 1st time... Also, IMO Century guns *can* be a little rough from time to time, but I've yet to see the Century FAL I couldn't get to run - I'm not excusing poor quality, but maybe the inexperienced should spend a few more $$$, or have some help available when trying to buy a rifle "on the cheap"... Persoanlly, I would've stripped it down, cleaned and lubed it - then checked headspacing, barrel timing, and made sure the gas piston and action didn't have any binds... Another place to check is to make sure the gas tube retaining pin is in there... Bottom line is - these guns usually ARE a bit of a "jewel in the rough" - but if you want to save money, you have to be able to look things over for yourself sometimes.... As for the rusted FP and spring - FALs are built from surplus "kits" (demilled rifles) - and I could see how that area *might* get overlooked - doesn't make it right, but I could see how it could happen... Best of luck with your rifle, and don't be afraid to ask questions - I'm sure someone here can offer help if you need it.... I'm no expert, but I've sucessfully built a few FALs, and fixed a couple more - they're well designed rifles, and actually kind of difficult to screw up, IMO...

- georgestrings
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 11:50:48 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

- georgestrings

The gun should not have jammed the shell like that even with the improper gas setting. I'm pissed at Century for the crap that they kick out. I did not pay for any of the guns(except 2) I fired over the years that Century built. I just had the chance to test fire many of them and I kid you not in 12 guns fired not 1 made it through a full mag with out a jam. In my book that is totally unexceptable!!!!! If I performed my job as poorly as Century does I would have been fired long ago!!!! I know some folks did get a good Century gun here and there but that is not good enough.
     Some folks have to work very hard for $300 and if they choose to spend their money with Century the least Century could do is provide a reliable gun for them that was put together properly. Century knows about their QC problems and in all these years they have refused to address them!!! That is why I hate and bash them. They screw folks over time and time again and for that reason they deserve to go under and I hope they do.

OK, so I get that you're PO'd at Century - but you're dead wrong on this one - ANY FAL will experience an FTE jam if the gas is wide open - and will usually clear EASILY, if pogo'd... Now, why don't you just admit that you were just talking out your ass when you boldly asserted that this particular case wasn't operator error induced??? I'll readily admit that Century guns *can* be a bit "rough" - and maybe not the best choices for the inexperienced - maybe it's a good thing that you're planning on avoiding them in the future... Personally, I prefer to do my own builds on Coonan receivers, but have also built on Century receivers, too - and without much difficulty... I WOULD be willing to bet that I can make nearly ANY Century built FAL run properly - after all, it's just a kit built on one of their receivers...

- georgestrings
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 11:56:04 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:
 I know I ought to send this thing back to Century, and I may, but I'm not sure I trust what they will do to it after seeing what they did with this POS.  

FWIW, try calling Customer Service and talking somewhat civilly to the ladies there.
I had a CETME that broke a recoil spring rod. I could not have asked for better service or quicker shipping of the replacement part.
She offered a FEDex call ticket to send the gun in, but I told her I'd replace the spring and plate. She  sent a whole new back end and i just slipped it on the gun.
Now I have a $300. gun that runs fine, is reasonably accurate, and fun. That's all I could expect for $300.
Just try calling, it can't hurt.

I had a similar experience with Century - my SAR-1 came in with a cracked upper handguard, and a broken rear sight blade assy - I made a call to them, pleasantly, I might add - and they shipped me out BOTH handguards, and a new rear sight.... No complaints here...

- georgestrings
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 3:45:07 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
My second gunwas a century cetme and that was the gun that changed the way I think about guns. I now have no problem spending the money if I have it on a quality product after screwing with that POS. For starters you had to beat on the magazines to get them to lock in and if you didnt have a FTE then you would have a FTF.

I bought a FAL parts kit for 200$ a Vulcan reciever for 175$ and had my gunsmith install the barrel and check the headspace and test fire for 50$. And life is great.

Just so you know vulcan is just a renamed Hesse. Which may not be all bad. My Century with a Hesse receiver has always been 100%.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 9:41:40 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

- georgestrings

OK, so I get that you're PO'd at Century - but you're dead wrong on this one - ANY FAL will experience an FTE jam if the gas is wide open - and will usually clear EASILY, if pogo'd... Now, why don't you just admit that you were just talking out your ass when you boldly asserted that this particular case wasn't operator error induced??? I'll readily admit that Century guns *can* be a bit "rough" - and maybe not the best choices for the inexperienced - maybe it's a good thing that you're planning on avoiding them in the future... Personally, I prefer to do my own builds on Coonan receivers, but have also built on Century receivers, too - and without much difficulty... I WOULD be willing to bet that I can make nearly ANY Century built FAL run properly - after all, it's just a kit built on one of their receivers...

- georgestrings

I don't believe that the gun should have jamed that bad just because it was set on 7. The FAL has the 7 setting for a reason and it is not to jam the gun. My 2 DSA's will not do this on 7. That is one reason I said it was not Wags fault and probibly the guns due to poor quality. Wags said he followed the directions and I'm sure he is not a 3 year old trying to figure this out. Century is known to be junk and that is why I said it was the guns fault and not Wags and that is probibly correct.
I have no doubt that you can take the worst Century gun and make it run properly. I could too if I wanted to take the time to correct the problem. But that is not the point. The point is a person sould not have to "fix" a new gun no matter what the price.  This would not be a big deal if it was a once in a while thing but it is not with Century, it is a very common thing that they don't address and that is why I'm PO'd at them.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 3:03:26 PM EDT
[#24]
"I don't believe that the gun should have jamed that bad just because it was set on 7."

Actually, we don't know it WAS jammed all that badly - he just didn't know how to properly clear it - and a healthy FAL WILL experience an FTE jam with the gas wide open like that - if it doesn't, it's highly likely that the recoil springs are shot...

"The FAL has the 7 setting for a reason and it is not to jam the gun."

Gotta tell you, you're proving my point that you really don't know much about FALs - I'll stick with my position on this matter....

- georgestrings
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 4:56:15 PM EDT
[#25]
Thanks for the pointers and offers of help, guys.

No, I am not former military (that's a story for a different day), nor did we do any shooting growing up (that's part of what made the day at the range with my father so fun).  Although I haven't had any formal firearms training, I am not some 5'3" 275 lb. gunshow commando.    

My problem is I am addicted.  I like to shoot - I like to shoot a lot and I like to shot a lot of different guns and kinds of guns.  Yeah, someone like me probably should pay a little more and get a good, finished gun - its just hard to buy one when you could get two or three for the same amount.    

I've got this Century, though, and I will make it run.  I'm sure I'll be back with questions.

Wags
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 10:40:08 PM EDT
[#26]
I have 2 of the R1A1 rifles like yours and they both were just dirty as hell as you described. It took me around an hour and a half to clean the first one properly. It was so gummed up that I used acetone mixed with mineral spirits on it. I replaced the gas tubes due to outside pitting on both. I also replaced the spring for the trigger plunger on both. They both fire flawlessly,and they are accurate too. I got rid of the crappy funiture and replaced them with a set of wood for one and a set of English pebble grain plastic for the other. They both had the funky muzzle brakes on them so I dremelled them off and installed the proper 5-prong flash hiders on them. They both had a very nice park job so that was a good thing. For about the price of a standard DSA I have two nice looking, accurate, and reliable rifles. Of course you have to be prudent when replacing parts so as  not  to overpay. I found most of the replacment parts at gun shows. The inch parts are resonable in price. I have about $430.00 invested in each not counting my time. I bet I had more fun and learned more from working on those two rifles than someone who plunks down the money for a DSA, wipes it off and blasts away. Of course I had an idea of what I would be getting into when I bought my rifles. When/If I pay big bucks for a DSA I do not expect to have to do anything to it but do a routine cleaning. My advise would be to research the weapon so you have a idea on how it works. Hell thats why Al Gore invented the internet! Good Luck
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 1:37:29 PM EDT
[#27]
OK. Got my parts from DSA - new cocking handle and springs together with their tool package - bolt stripping tool, front sight tool, gas wrench and buttstock/recoil spring tool.  I stripped the FAL except I did not take the butt stock off to check/clean the recoil.  Cleaned everything well, oiled what is supposed to be oiled, left the gas system clean but not oiled per the FAL manual.  Everything went back together easily and well.  Sidenote - the bolt stripping tool really is handy.  

Took it to the range this morning to try it out.  For the first shot, I set the gas regulator to 5, one round in the mag.  It functioned, but did not lock back.  Dialed it down to 4, again, one round in the mag.  Functioned and locked open with the case getting thrown about 8-10 feet to the right.  Loaded a mag with 20 rounds and the problerms started.  I couldn't get more than 2 shots in a row off without a FTF.  The bolt would start to chamber a round then slide up over the rim of the case and get jammed, putting a small gouge in the jammed case.  This happened for the next 60 rounds.  The most consecutive shots I could get off was 3 or 4, then FTF.  Whenever I fired the last shot in the mag, the bolt would lock back.  I don't think it was short stroking - I got this same FTF regardless whether I was manually retracting the cocking handle, releasing the locked back bolt or in the middle of a string of shots.  I tried 4 different mags - same problem with all 4.

The ammo was Portugese milsurp that has functioned great in my PTR91.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 8:34:22 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 1:16:36 PM EDT
[#29]
You lost me - you wouldn't do what?
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 5:34:41 PM EDT
[#30]
Paul. What are ya talking about? You take your life in your hands everyday you can take a breath, and does Uncle Sam know you still do a shotgun open Mk1 Mod1 check on your gunhock.gif...I mean weapon?
Wags has already been scoleded many times in earler posts about shooting a dirty gun.

I'm following this thread, cause I have a metric Century FAL, 16" barrel.   With the gas fully closed it will cycle a few rounds, anything more than closed it's a single shot.  I've cleaned it, and cleaned it. The gas rod appears to be straight, it rolls smooth on a flat surface.  Multiple mags react the same way. I'm not opposed to fitting an 18" barrel, if that would make it shoot  a mag at a time. Just looking for ideas.Where do you guys find PTR's under 8 and 900 dollars?
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 6:43:08 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Where do you guys find PTR's under 8 and 900 dollars?

I got lucky at a gunshow.  Not so lucky with the FAL.

Anyway, I'm thinking either the mags aren't engaging all the way (the magwell is very tight for 3 of the 4 mags I have) or the feed ramps aren't shaped right (they are really just dimples) and that is causing my ongoing problem.  Thoughts?
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 9:21:22 PM EDT
[#32]
Have you posted this problem over at the FILES? You might get a few more"experts" looking at your posts to help you out...
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 8:19:57 PM EDT
[#33]
Its almost impossible to diagnose a serious problem like this without seeing the rifle.  Go to the FAL-Files, look up a member called Sledgehammer, contact him.  He will take a look at your rifle and if something in the receiver is not totally out of spec, fix it for you for a very nominal fee. Great guy to deal with, as good a FAL mechanic as any out there.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top