Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/17/2005 7:03:25 PM EDT
Okay,I finally picked up a standard 10/22 (brand new) a couple weeks ago.Brought her home and put 20 rounds thru her to try her out-ran fine,me likee.

So I go home for supper tonight and decide to do a little plinking.I go out and hit the spinner twice,then I have nothing-the hammer apparently followed the bolt forward on a live round.I eject the live round (with no firing pin mark) and chamber the next round.It goes bang,but the hammer again follows the bolt home.

I sit there with it empty and manually work the action-hammer never stays cocked after you pull the trigger.I take it in the house and dis-assemble and everything looks O.K..I put it back together and it functions fine-take her outside and ran 50 rounds thru her without a hitch.

WTF?Am I missing something?Any suggestions or ideas?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 10:31:13 AM EDT
[#1]
Maybe it just wanted to be stripped down and played with.  Brand new should have a light coat of oil on it already right?  Sometimes the spring on the bolt handle assembly gets a little stiff (in my rifle anyway) but a little oil fixes that right up.  Not sure what would cause this hammer problem.  Oil is the answer for everything
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 12:03:27 PM EDT
[#2]
The first thing I would check to clean the gun thoroughly including the chamber.  I would also check the inside of the receiver where the bolt rubs to see if the paint is "balling up" and increasing the resistance to the bolts movement.  The last 10/22 that I bought new came from the factory with  a painted receiver (both inside and outside).  I finally removed the paint from the areas that the bolt rubs on to keep it from increasing the friction and slowing the bolts closure.  After cleaning the rifle, lubricate the bolt and try it again.

The 10/22 has a design issue  -- the hammer will release before the bolt is all the way home.  If  there is a little carbon or "paint"  that keeps the bolt just a little open, the hammer will still release when the trigger is depressed -- in this case, most of the hammer's energy is used moving the bolt forward and not enough remains to fire the round.  This problem is best addressed by cleaning the gun and in my guns case, removing some of the paint inside the receiver.

Link Posted: 9/18/2005 3:22:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks guys!
When I first got it,I didn't totally disassemble it-just cleaned and oiled it.After the troubles,I took it completely apart and cleaned everything (including the extra paint ).

Shot her again this morning with no problems-Hopefully she'll be 100% from now on.

Now I just need to hang out in here and figure out the upgrades!

Link Posted: 9/19/2005 2:21:56 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Thanks guys!
When I first got it,I didn't totally disassemble it-just cleaned and oiled it.After the troubles,I took it completely apart and cleaned everything (including the extra paint ).

Shot her again this morning with no problems-Hopefully she'll be 100% from now on.

Now I just need to hang out in here and figure out the upgrades!

Head over to rimfirecentral.com if you havent already.  Read through the forums there and you'll get an idea of things to upgrade, as well as some DIY mods.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top