Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/15/2008 6:23:21 AM EDT
After all the discussions (and arguing with silentype ) I decided to get the STG556. Picked up a 4th gen from a local dealer for a good price. I just couldnt being myself to pay the cash for the AXR (though I think its worth every penny) and I didnt want to pay 2400.00 or sit and wait for the Steyr/Sabre defense in this political climate. I'd post a pic but I figured you all knew what they looked like. I got the railed model and slapped my aimpoint on it. Now Im off to the range for it's torture test.
Link Posted: 11/15/2008 7:02:08 AM EDT
[#1]
You will like it Mike.
Phessor

Quoted:
After all the discussions (and arguing with silentype ) on the topic I decided to get the STG556. Picked up a 4th gen from a local dealer for a good price. I just couldnt being myself to pay the cash for the AXR (though I think its worth every penny) and I didnt want to pay 2400.00 or sit and wait for the Steyr/Sabre defense in this political climate. I'd post a pic but I figured you all knew what they looked like. I got the railed model and slapped my aimpoint on it. Now Im off to the range for it's torture test.

Link Posted: 11/15/2008 7:57:13 AM EDT
[#2]
Good job! Range report (w/pics)! Enquiring minds want to know!...
Tomac
Link Posted: 11/15/2008 8:34:29 AM EDT
[#3]
I hit a snag. I want to clean/oil before shooting. I cant push out the receiver latch. Am I doing something wrong? Is it supposed to push straight through?
Link Posted: 11/15/2008 8:58:31 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
After all the discussions (and arguing with silentype ) on the topic I decided to get the STG556. Picked up a 4th gen from a local dealer for a good price. I just couldnt being myself to pay the cash for the AXR (though I think its worth every penny) and I didnt want to pay 2400.00 or sit and wait for the Steyr/Sabre defense in this political climate. I'd post a pic but I figured you all knew what they looked like. I got the railed model and slapped my aimpoint on it. Now Im off to the range for it's torture test.

+1 I too hopped on this bandwagon but with the optic instead.
Link Posted: 11/15/2008 9:14:01 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I hit a snag. I want to clean/oil before shooting. I cant push out the receiver latch. Am I doing something wrong? Is it supposed to push straight through?

The takedown latch is very stiff the first few times you disassemble the rifle but it improves rapidly w/use. Here's what I did:
Ensure rifle is unloaded w/no mag & manually cycle the empty action to cock the hammer pack.
Pushing down against the buttpad, press the muzzle straight down onto something that won't damage the muzzle (like carpeting). This is done to press the receiver halves together and relieve some of the pressure on the latch.
While maintaining downward pressure w/one hand, use a thumb or finger from the other to press against the takedown latch (the first time or two you may need to use something hard like a screwdriver handle to get it started).
When the takedown latch has started moving you can either grab it on the opposite side to finish pulling it out or continue pushing from the other side.
HTH...
Tomac

Link Posted: 11/15/2008 11:09:05 AM EDT
[#6]
Well Im back from the range and the STG worked flawlessly with every kind of ammo I tried including wolf and my own funky reloads (I know its not recommended) and XM193. A little too windy to sight it in perfectly but I was hitting clay pidgeons at 100 yards so I cant complain too much. I feel pretty confident in the rifle now.

Tomac, thanks for your help I will try your advice tonight.
Link Posted: 11/15/2008 2:31:41 PM EDT
[#7]
+1 on the housing lock being very difficult to move when brand new. I use a rubber mallet to  move 'em. they'll work in and not be so difficult with time and use.

Link Posted: 11/15/2008 2:36:28 PM EDT
[#8]
After a half dozen times and a bent fingernail or two the latch will break in and be secure but not too hard to push out.
Link Posted: 11/15/2008 4:00:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Well I got that part, now trying to reassemble the bolt. Anybody else think these instructions suck?
Link Posted: 11/15/2008 4:33:08 PM EDT
[#10]
The bolt is a bit tricky the first time.  let me guess, you can't get the firing pin back in?  I had a devil of a time with that one...

Link Posted: 11/15/2008 4:45:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Actually I could get the pin in but that sleeve over the bolt seemed like it would prevent the extractor from working so I thought I had it wrong. I called swatdude and he told me just stick it in the receiver and it would work. I did it a couple more times and chambered and ejected a dummy round just to make sure I had it right.
I am really happy with this purchase. Totally happy that I took it out today with no lubricant and ran about 400 rounds without a hiccup. I put it through hell today and tried to make it fail and it didnt. Now that it is all cleaned and oiled up it should be a great rifle for me. I love how compact it is. You really cant get a feel for it in the pics on the net if you dont have one. Here it is alongside my 12" SBS for a comparison.
Link Posted: 11/15/2008 5:05:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Super nice rifle dude.  i was at a show today and fondled one.  I would really like to have one, but I just can't afford one now.  Maybe later this year if things don't change.
Link Posted: 11/15/2008 7:09:42 PM EDT
[#13]
That looks like a very nice companion for your STG there, T
Link Posted: 11/15/2008 9:54:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Nice comparison with the shotgun. But to be fair to the STG, you should unforld the stock on the SBS.
Link Posted: 11/16/2008 10:02:43 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
After all the discussions (and arguing with silentype ) I decided to get the STG556. Picked up a 4th gen from a local dealer for a good price. I just couldnt being myself to pay the cash for the AXR (though I think its worth every penny) and I didnt want to pay 2400.00 or sit and wait for the Steyr/Sabre defense in this political climate. I'd post a pic but I figured you all knew what they looked like. I got the railed model and slapped my aimpoint on it. Now Im off to the range for it's torture test.

Well, I played Devil's Advocate and just told you what you already knew anyways.

It's a nice rifle. You'll enjoy it.
Link Posted: 11/16/2008 11:27:21 AM EDT
[#16]
I already do enjoy it. It ran great for me. I would love to get one of the new steyrs too but wanted to get one now!
Link Posted: 11/16/2008 10:10:47 PM EDT
[#17]
I'm not trying to baid silenttype, but I think the A3 is kind of fugly. It loses the sleek look of the A1 and A2.
Link Posted: 11/16/2008 10:27:07 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I'm not trying to baid silenttype, but I think the A3 is kind of fugly. It loses the sleek look of the A1 and A2.

+1!!

Link Posted: 11/16/2008 11:18:54 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1!!

+2!! Looks like shite.

Link Posted: 11/17/2008 9:14:24 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Too each their own. At this point I'm not pointing out anything good about the Steyr AUG A3...once I get mine I'll resume my praise.

Link Posted: 11/17/2008 10:10:59 AM EDT
[#21]
Which dealer has the Gen 4 models?  All I've been able to find locally have been Gen 1 and 2.
Link Posted: 11/17/2008 11:42:05 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Which dealer has the Gen 4 models?  All I've been able to find locally have been Gen 1 and 2.

Check with Ratworx

Link Posted: 11/17/2008 7:26:22 PM EDT
[#23]
I got mine at AJI in Mesa. Best price in AZ that I could find. If your looking for the abolute best price my boss ordered one from Atlantic firearms when they were on sale for 1499.00 last week. There up to 1589.00 no still a good price. I figured it would be a gen 2 or 3 but it was a 4th gen.
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 6:29:07 PM EDT
[#24]
I payed 1550 for mine up in Prescott...still think it's a good deal for this fine
piece of workmanship!!...like mine in OD  
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 4:08:35 PM EDT
[#25]
Just curious, who's got them in Prescott. I think you got a good deal.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top