Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/13/2006 8:03:50 AM EDT
I'm virtually clueless on Enfields yet, but have just started thinking about getting one. Went to an auction this weekend that had 2 on it. Wasn't able to stay to watch them sell tho. But one was labeled a "British Enfield 303", and one was labeled a "US Enfield 303".  The US had "US Property" stamped on the rec. I didn't find any other markings that were significant, at least to me, on the rifle. So what exactly was this? I wasn't aware that the US had any No 4's in 303. I knew that Savage made some, but I thought these were under British contract (?) and thought they owned them?

Now on the K31. Were the walnut stocks made on the earlier rifles, and the beech on the later ones? Or was there specifically a reason for 2 different kinds of wood? Thanks. Greg
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 9:42:34 AM EDT
[#1]
I don't know about the k31 question, but the us enfield would be one of the savages made for lend-lease.  Made in the US for use by britain.  I have one and it has both US and British proof marks all over it.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 12:44:54 PM EDT
[#2]
yep the walnuts were used on the early year guns, im not sure but i think up till the early 40's or late 30's. you may find a later produced gun with a walnut stock or vice versa due to the rearsenaling of them in the 50's. if you can get a nice us enfield for around $150 and the brit for around $100 you'd be doing pretty good. enfields seem to be drying up a bit of late.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 12:48:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Willie-
The last year K31's were made in Walnut was 1945. I have a Beech 1946. There are some exceptions, but that is the general rule. Also- they were made from 1933 to 1958 if that helps.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 6:35:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks to all for the replies! They had a K31 on the auction too. I've got a '49' model and wanted to look at this one. This one was a '40' or '41'. I thought it looked pretty rough, so figured I'd keep looking. As far as the Enfield, that's what I thought it might be, but I was expecting to see the manufacturer's name on it somewhere. Figured it was a Savage, but didn't know when I couldn't find the name. Thanks again. Greg
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 7:44:00 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
As far as the Enfield, that's what I thought it might be, but I was expecting to see the manufacturer's name on it somewhere. Figured it was a Savage, but didn't know when I couldn't find the name.

The only No4 Enfield with a maker's name on it is the Longbranch, which was made in the Longbranch factory in Canada.

The Savage, as you've learned, were all stamped "US Property" and are easy to spot.

The other makers are identified by the prefix or suffix of the serial numbers. Fazakerly, BSA and Maltby are the British makers.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 2:04:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Swingset: Theres a new post today from a member that bought a No. 4 Savage, says his is marked Savage, rifle, mag, and bayonet. So, whats the deal? I'm not trying to argue with you, but just wondering what to look for. I know the best thing to do is buy a book on the Enfields, but haven't got that far yet. Thanks. Greg
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 2:16:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Savage marked darn near every part on their Enfields with a squared S. That is probably what the gentleman you are quoting was talking about. They also have a lot of "flaming bomb" US government acceptance marks.

Here is a site with some pics:

enfieldrifles.profusehost.net/gh11.htm

Link Posted: 2/15/2006 5:01:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks again to everyone that replied to my questions. I realize I wouldn't have any (Yea, right!) if I'd get a book on the Enfields, but I've got a couple of rifles in line ahead of the Enfield right now that I want to get first. But they're definately on the list! Thanks. Greg
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top