Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/7/2004 2:43:07 PM EDT

This is what I plan to have as my basic go to arsenal for after the AWB sunsets.  Some of it will take a while to acquire, but I hope to have it all eventually.

Items in bold are ones I already own, which is part of the reason I put them on this list.

AR-15 chambered in 6.5 Grendel, with aftermarket trigger, Harris Bipod, quality glass

Colt LEO M4 semiauto carbine, in 5.56mm.  Aftermarkets will include KAC foregrip, Bushnell holosight, M6 light/laser combo, and Eagle 3-point sling.

.22lr Bushmaster upper for M4gery, plus .22lr can, firing Aguila SSS rounds.

SIG P226 9mm

Kel-Tec P3AT .380 cal

Benelli M1 Tactical 12 Guage

Walther P-22, using same can as .22lr upper reciever

What do you think?  What am I missing?  Any gaps to fill?  All the rounds (except 6.5 Grendel) are cheap and readily available.  One suppressor for rifle and pistol.  I can hit anything from 'danger close' to 800+ meters with this arsenal.

Link Posted: 9/7/2004 3:16:45 PM EDT
[#1]
What about the FN Five-seveN Pistol? Or did you say the grip was too big.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 4:13:24 PM EDT
[#2]

I handled one, and found the grip somewhat uncomfortable.  I still may buy one if the price goes down, but I will not consider it one of my 'go to' guns.

Link Posted: 9/7/2004 6:06:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Come on get some more evil guns like an AK or an UZI. You are too PC with that arsenal.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 6:10:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Got .308?   FAL, G3, AR-10, Model 700. What about an AK, everyone needs a damn AK man?  
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 6:27:16 PM EDT
[#5]
I would change the 226 to a 228.  It can hold the 226 mags but is more concealible.  

I'd also change the shotty to an 870, but I prefer pumps.  With a barrel change you could be shooting trap/skeet with the same gun.

I'd ditch the weird caliber and stick with .223/5.56 for the long-range.  I'd also install a Magpul stock on the lower, and have just 3 uppers (.22lr, long range, and M4).

I'd dumpt the Holosight and stick to the Aimpoint, or the Eothingy if you must.  I'd also buy a railed forend and lever mounts for the vert grip and light.  An ACOG would be even better than the dot sights.

I wouldn't bother with the bipod, or if you have to have it make it detachable.  Learn to shoot off of improvised rests; you'll be more versatile that way.

I would also be inclined to go with a FAL of some sort.  A FAL carbine, in my opinion, is the best all around firearm you can own.  If TSHTF tomorrow, I'd grab my DSA and my Kimber and head for the hills.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 6:29:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Get a real light. One meant to go on a rifle.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 6:33:39 PM EDT
[#7]
learn to shoot off of improvised rest? why would you do that when you have a bipod? Bipods are great once you learn to shoot off of them there is nothing ebtter I hardly go afield without a harris anymore I have several my favorite is 10.5- 27 inches which allows prone or seated firing I may be wrong on exact inch size dont quote me, from a seated position I can fire right around 1" groups on a good day. I cant do near that good firing off hand.

edited to say of course you should know how to fire from field expedient rest also, but if you have a bipod use it.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 6:36:05 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Oh yeah, and ditch the laser.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 6:38:33 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
learn to shoot off of improvised rest? why would you do that when you have a bipod? Bipods are great once you learn to shoot off of them there is nothing ebtter I hardly go afield without a harris anymore I have several my favorite is 10.5- 27 inches which allows prone or seated firing I may be wrong on exact inch size dont quote me, from a seated position I can fire right around 1" groups on a good day. I cant do near that good firing off hand.

edited to say of course you should know how to fire from field expedient rest also, but if you have a bipod use it.

Because I don't want to tote it.  To me the bipod is extra weight, something extra to get snagged, and something extra to break.  I had one on my 700 and ditched it in favor of shooting off of improvised rests.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 6:42:45 PM EDT
[#10]
at least carry a small set of collapsible shooting sticks with you, I often tiomes can not find a suitable branch, rock, abandoned car, or sleeping bum to rest my rifle over.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 6:45:16 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Oh yeah, and ditch the laser.

Agreed.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 9:24:35 PM EDT
[#12]
No 1911???

Shame!

- BG
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 10:29:59 PM EDT
[#13]
I'd buy some sort of AK, ammo is dirt cheap, mags are almost free and they are unbreakable.  For 400 bucks you can add a gun with a set-up of mags and a chinese mag vest for special occasions.

I have a P-22, it has the worst trigger ever installed on a gun intended to actually fire.  A silencer will only allow others to hear you bitch about the trigger.  But they are cheap to silence.

Benelli is the only way to go, I have a 19.5 inch rifle sight bbl and a 26" vent rib if I ever want to go hunting.

Can you really hit anything at 800 meters??  I hear that all the time, I shoot at 600 and 1000 all the time, most walk on guys can't hit shit.  Not to pick on you, but if you never shoot that far, maybe some time on the range before trying it for real.

The only question I have with anything 6.5mm is what will survive?  There are several different 6.5mm cartridges coming out, if the military buys one it will be a boom for it's maker.  I'd consider buying my 6.5mm gun last and give it a little more time to shake out.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 10:38:52 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

This is what I plan to have as my basic go to arsenal for after the AWB sunsets.  Some of it will take a while to acquire, but I hope to have it all eventually.

AR-15 chambered in 6.5 Grendel, with aftermarket trigger, Harris Bipod, quality glass ammo is not easy to find my suggestion would be to get a AK

Colt LEO M4 semiauto carbine, in 5.56mm.  Aftermarkets will include KAC foregrip, Eotech Bushnell holosight, M6 light/laser combo, and Eagle 3-point sling.Great choice
.22lr Bushmaster upper for M4gery, plus .22lr can, firing Aguila SSS rounds. why?

SIG P226 9mm Colt 1911 in .45acp   9mm's are worthless

Kel-Tec P3AT .380 cal ok

Benelli M1 Tactical 12 Guage ok

Walther P-22, using same can as .22lr upper reciever get a browning Buckmark and dump that .22 upper idea once and for all

What do you think?  What am I missing?  Any gaps to fill?  All the rounds (except 6.5 Grendel) are cheap and readily available.  One suppressor for rifle and pistol.  I can hit anything from 'danger close' to 800+ meters with this arsenal.

I put my response in red
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 5:42:30 AM EDT
[#15]
Add a bolt action 30 cal.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 9:08:57 AM EDT
[#16]

Something I should point out here, which I initially failed to do in my first post.

The SIG P226, Walther P-22, Kel-Tec .380, and Benelli M1 are all currently in my arsenal, which is why I included them in this list.  Also, I already own the Bushnell Holosight, and M6 Light/Laser combo.  

Many of your suggestions are very valuable, but as you can see the main purchases I need to make are in the AR department, which I am sorely lacking in currently.  

As far as shooting out to 800+ meters - you are right, I can't hit anything that far.  However, I have a three day Scoped Rifle Operator's class coming up later this month, which will help my long range marksmanship skills a great deal.  Also, there is a 600 yard range less than one hour from my home, which I intend to go to more often once I get a good long range weapon.

Link Posted: 9/8/2004 11:21:01 AM EDT
[#17]
Instead of nit picking yours I will list what I would consider the basics...

Combat style:

1. AR-10T (long range with authority)
2. FNFAL (power and reliability)
3. AK-47 (SAR 1) (shitty climate)
4. AR-15 in M4A3 format (all around)

For Hunting

5. Remington 11/87
6. Rem 700 varmint rifle in 243
7. Rem 700 Sporter in 300 Win Mag (big game)

For the fun of it...

8. Ruger 10/22
9. anything NFA MG

Handguns:

10. Glock 21 (power with capacity)
11. 1911 (target and history)
12. Ruger Mk 2 (just fun)
13. Glock 36 (45 power yet compact)

Now, there are others  that I think everybody should have but this covers most niches with a solid amount of overlap in capability...
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 7:35:18 PM EDT
[#18]
Nice start but as a minimum as long as I'm spending your money I'd also pickup:

1. A .308 bolt action with decent glass. If you'd rather have a 30'06, 7'08, .270 or similar then that'll work also.
2. A 1911 pattern .45. Government size, commander size, officer size, take your pick. (or get all 3)
3. A .357 revolver

Then if there was money left over:
1. A big bore bolt action, i.e. .375 HH
2. .308 battlerifle: FAL, AR10, M1A, whatever turns you on
3. 10/22
4. .45/70 lever gun

Link Posted: 9/8/2004 7:51:00 PM EDT
[#19]
I would ditch the 6.5mm idea for a .308. Bolt, FAL, AR10, or M1A. I would lean towards the bolt but if you have to have a semi I'd choose the FAL or M1A. Hell I'd pick the Garand over some weird ass cartridge. Not saying the 6.5 is bad it's just that the benefits don't overcome it's rarity.

And as for the .22's. They're great and all but there's not much a .22 can do that your Benelli can't do better in terms of food gathering.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 8:02:33 PM EDT
[#20]
Add a USP tac.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 2:07:27 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
I would ditch the 6.5mm idea for a .308. Bolt, FAL, AR10, or M1A. I would lean towards the bolt but if you have to have a semi I'd choose the FAL or M1A. Hell I'd pick the Garand over some weird ass cartridge. Not saying the 6.5 is bad it's just that the benefits don't overcome it's rarity.

And as for the .22's. They're great and all but there's not much a .22 can do that your Benelli can't do better in terms of food gathering.

I like the 6.5 mainly because it uses USGI 5.56mm magazines, which I have plenty of.  Also, initial reports of this cartridge are very impressive, IMO.  Also, I own a Garand, and original 1911A1, just don't consider them Go To guns.  I also have  a Polytech M14S, but I just haven't taken a liking to it as I had hoped.  Big problems getting the magazine to seat correctly, and the operating rod unseats itself almost once per magazine.

Add a USP Tac

Don't have one of those yet, but I do have a fullsize in .40, which I really like.  I just like the SIG slightly better, that's all.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top