Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/14/2005 7:46:48 AM EDT
I'd like to refinish my 1911 with Molyresin. However, my 1911's got night sites on it. rather than tape over them, and have it look liek shit here was my idea: spray the thing with moly resin, then get a Q-tip with Methyl-Ethyl-ketone and clean the moly resin off the sights before baking.

Anyone thing this would damage the sites? OR think that 300 degrees for an hour woudl damage the sites?
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 8:58:45 AM EDT
[#1]
Don't bake the sights to cure the finish. You will pop the capsules that hold the tritium gas.
You need to remove the sites.

MEK is mean stuff. I don't think I would wipe down the sights anyway with it. It will loosen the bond of the glue that holds the capsule in.
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 9:07:25 AM EDT
[#2]
shit.

that kinda sucks. now i'm gonan have to find an interesting way to do tihs without killing those sites. coudl they be removed? probably. removed without damaging them? not likely. Even if i do remove them, the frame is parked and the sights are kinda blued. shit....this sucks.
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 11:52:31 AM EDT
[#3]
Proceed at your own risks, but I've done this successfully with both Trijicon and Meprolight sights.

I used Acetone to remove the MolyResin prior to baking.  I think the acetone is less aggressive than the MEK, but it still cuts the Moly.  Buy a very fine paintbrush from the local hobby/art store.  A q-tip isn't fine enough and will leave cotton fibers in the Moly finish (ask me how I know this )

I was concerned about the heat damaging the sights, but I didn't have any problems.  However, you're on your own if you screw it up.  Trijicon told me it was a bad idea, but I did it anyway.
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 12:11:31 PM EDT
[#4]
i called up the company and they too suggested removing the sites. They said it woudl cause them to decay. Did you notice them get any dimmer?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top