Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/23/2004 7:17:18 AM EDT
Will Remington 308 Win. nickel plated brass cycle through a M1A reliably?
How good is it compared to normal brass?

I know it is harder on the resizing die but I am ok with that.

I am not satisfied with millitary brass and I have made arrangements to return it to the company.
The nickle plated brass will be easier to find on the range. It is only a few dollars more than the normal stuff so I wont have trouble recovering my brass opposed to sorting through the millitary stuff to find my commercial brass.  

Link Posted: 8/23/2004 9:49:34 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 12:50:29 PM EDT
[#2]
It'll work just fine in your M1A .  I've shot a BUNCH of Winchester nickle brass out of my M1A without a single feed/eject problem.  Just remember that the comercial brass is lighter and will need a bit more powder to equal any military brass loads you may be working with.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 3:23:24 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
It'll work just fine in your M1A .  I've shot a BUNCH of Winchester nickle brass out of my M1A without a single feed/eject problem.  Just remember that the comercial brass is lighter and will need a bit more powder to equal any military brass loads you may be working with.

Maybe it has less capacity and maybe it doesn't.

A recent post on another board showed where the poster found that his '98 LC M118LR brass while being heavier had greater capacity than the compared to 308 Lapua brass.

Link Posted: 8/23/2004 8:28:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Yeah....................I read that post...................and I don't doubt the results    considering that Lapua brass is like no other.   In my mind, it is probably a different grade of brass being used by Lapua...........but I'm gonna try some of the water weighing suggested in that post to verify my field findings.

But in my case, These cases have been tested by trial.   I don't have a Chrono, but point of impact is a great way to judge such things.  If you load both cases with the same charge, same bullets &  same OAL and they group themselves an inch or so apart from each other...............there is definitely a difference in pressure caused by a difference in case volume.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top