Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/29/2002 5:57:21 PM EDT
I'm on my first-ever AR (Bushmaster Shorty) and it's been a learning experience. Biggest gripes - *only* gripes, really - are pretty frequent jams (usually feeding live round from mag after extraction but prior to ejection) and all the crud in the receiver from the gas system. I'm also having some marksmanship problems, but that's from my own inexperience with the sighting system. I'll get over it.

My Mini-14 (I know, I know) may not be as accurate, but it hasn't jammed once in almost 10K rounds and is pretty quick to clean up. Of course, accuracy isn't as good and finding decent mags is almost a full-time job. I've shouldered a few bullpups (Valmets and AUGs) & liked the balance but never got to see how they shot.

So... anyone have any recommendations for a rifle that's compact, controllable, mag-fed, accurate with open sights to about 150 yards, mechanically reliable and operationally clean?

Much obliged,
Keith C.
Link Posted: 9/29/2002 6:37:42 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't necessarily have any recommendations, but wanted to comment on your post.

If there are "pretty frequent jams" with a Bushmaster (or any other quality AR) then something is WRONG.  If you are using USGI magazines, then you need to send the rifle back to Bushmaster or have an expert look at it.  A Bushmaster that is well-maintained, regularly cleaned and lubricated should not jam at all.

Link Posted: 9/29/2002 6:42:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Do as DK Prof said with the Bushy, but for your requirements listed, get a cheap AK, a redstar trigger group, a mojo Peep sight, and go to town.  Low maint, high fun potential.
Link Posted: 9/29/2002 6:58:44 PM EDT
[#3]

So... anyone have any recommendations for a rifle that's compact, controllable, mag-fed, accurate with open sights to about 150 yards, mechanically reliable and operationally clean?

My son come onto the light

Get thee an M1A or perhapse an M1 garand
 and thou shalt not want further.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top