Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/27/2001 9:50:08 AM EDT
After shooting a gentlemans AR-15 a few months ago at my local range I decided I need and want an AR-15. I mostly shoot WWII milsurps(Enfields, Mausers and Mosin-Nagants) and I am not at all to familiar with the modern semi-auto's. I have about $1000.00 right now. I know I want a 20" barrell and from reading post on different forums I think I want a Bushmaster. I am looking for basic plinking with decent accuracy and with the possibility of upgrading for DCM matches in the future. So gentleman what type of rifle do I need and about how much for just the rifle(not including the mags, sling and ammo right now). Also another question. Should I order thru Bushmaster or other manufacturers direct or find a gunshow or gunshop with my specifications?
Your help would be much appreciated.
TIA
triage
Link Posted: 10/27/2001 10:05:36 AM EDT
[#1]
I believe it's always best to support your local gunshop, you'll need to go through an FFL anyway. I got almost exactly what you are describing a while back, just slightly used, for $700.
Link Posted: 10/27/2001 10:11:58 AM EDT
[#2]
You can find a Bushnaster at any gun show and most shops,or you could order one.

If you want a mach set up check out the Bushmaster web site they have alot of out of  the box mach ready guns.

[www.bushmaster.com]
Link Posted: 10/27/2001 10:21:14 AM EDT
[#3]
Poof...Clickable

www.bushmaster.com
Link Posted: 10/27/2001 8:27:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Triage --

There's really no way to "upgrade" to a CMP rifle from a standard AR15 as hardly any of the parts are useable on a real match rifle, and besided the Bushmaster CMP rifle thru Ohio Rifle and Pistol Association is about the price of the CMP upper anywhere else.

20" standard barrel is extremely heavy and isn't a match rifle, it's just heavy.  Finding a 20" government profile barrel on a new rifle is difficult.

For "basic plinking" and learning the rifle's systems the Bushmaster "M4 Carbine" with standard M16A2 stock will do great.  Minimal maintenance.  Accurate.  Reliable.

Where in Ohio you located?

-- Chuck
Link Posted: 10/27/2001 8:40:02 PM EDT
[#5]
I you are thinking about shooting in DCM matches, why not purchase a Rock River Arms National Match DCM upper and lower?  You save $ by buying them seperate.  The combined price is about $950.

You can always buy an M4 upper later.  I have a RRA and Bushy.  You can't go wrong with either.

Live Free
Link Posted: 11/5/2001 8:16:11 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks all for the replies! Chuck, sorry for not getting back sooner. I live in Strongsville at the moment. About 15 miles SW of Cleveland.

After reading hundreds of post about the AR-15 on this forum and "TFL" I have decided on the Bushmaster "XM15 E2S A2 Shorty 16" Rifle" Ordered her yesterday :^)Again, Thank you all for your replies!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top