Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/23/2003 8:08:59 AM EDT
What are the differences between the Mosin Nagant M38 Short Rifle and the Russian M44 Carbine? They look about identical. I understand that they are fun to shoot so I thought about getting one. I just thought a carbine length rifle in this caliber would be kind of fun. Opinions?
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 8:30:43 AM EDT
[#1]
There might be some picky small differences that I'm not even aware off.

The main difference is that the M44 has a side folding bayonet and a small cutout in the stock to allow it to fold.

I really like the M38 but it does seem to recoil even harder than the M44.

Both have fireball visible in the daylight and the noise and concussion to match.

There was some doofus at the range last time without hearing protection that got VERY angry with me making so much noise shooting.

Go figure. <G>

Dennis Jenkins

Quoted:
What are the differences between the Mosin Nagant M38 Short Rifle and the Russian M44 Carbine? They look about identical. I understand that they are fun to shoot so I thought about getting one. I just thought a carbine length rifle in this caliber would be kind of fun. Opinions?

Link Posted: 5/23/2003 10:11:39 AM EDT
[#2]
Yeah, the bayonet is the primary difference.  My advice...buy one (or more) of each!  
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 6:27:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks guys!
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 8:17:35 PM EDT
[#4]
There's also the "M91-59" which looks like the M38 but started out as a long barreled M91-30 & was cut down.  
The rear sights on a M91-59 are the original long barreled sights, but with the teeth ground off the rear ladder for the longer ranges....7.62x54 shooting close enuff to the same point of impact out of either the short carbine or long rifle at typical combat distances.  
The M38 has a normal rear sight (not certain if the M44 uses the same, their sights are supposedly regulated for shooting with the bayonet extended).
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 7:05:00 PM EDT
[#5]
As I understand it the Mosin Nagant 91-30 was the main Russian battle rifle in WWII. The M-38 was the carbine version of the 91-30, and the M-44 is a modified version of the M-38 with a folding bayonet and slightly different stock.
The Finns made a version designated the M-39 and is very much sought after.
Check aztecguns.com for some very good prices.
Jim
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 4:51:56 AM EDT
[#6]
One other tip...

If you're looking at an M38, make sure you get one with an M38 stock vs the M44 stock with the bayonet cutout.
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 5:58:51 AM EDT
[#7]
The other main difference is age.  M44s were prodused post war, up until 1947 I believe, whereas M38s were not.  

Pepperbelly is correct, the 91/30 was the main battle rifle used.  The M38 was originally designed for use by artillery and calvary troops.  Then they came up with the bright idea of putting a sharp pointy thing on the end.  Thus the 44.

The Finns produced more than just the M39.  THe desirability of the M39 is it is considered one of the most accurate mass produced battle rifles ever.  That's not to say that all M39s will outshoot all other battle rifles, just overall they are more accurate.

11M
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 11:14:54 AM EDT
[#8]
I have a M-28 on the way from Aztec Guns. From reading, it sounded like they usually have some pretty decent rifles. It should be here Tuesday or Wednesday.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top