Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/27/2009 7:40:29 PM EDT
I posted an earlier thread that got locked because someone tried to give me stupid advice but thank you to all those who helped. Now that I think I'm going to take the plunge, what short barreled

upper should I get? I'm very new to this so any help would be appreciated. I want a barrel less than 14.5 because I don't feel like paying $200 for 1.5 in. What's the pros/cons of something

like at 10.5 or 12.5 upper? In the SBR world who's considered the most reliable or is it pretty much the same as always (colt, noveske, lmt)? I'm also think about going all out while I'm at it and adding a

suppressor.  If I were to go with a short barreled upper do I have to pay for another stamp on the suppressor? Sorry for all the questions and thanks for the help!
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 8:28:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I posted an earlier thread that got locked because someone tried to give me stupid advice but thank you to all those who helped. Now that I think I'm going to take the plunge, what short barreled

upper should I get? I'm very new to this so any help would be appreciated. I want a barrel less than 14.5 because I don't feel like paying $200 for 1.5 in. What's the pros/cons of something

like at 10.5 or 12.5 upper? In the SBR world who's considered the most reliable or is it pretty much the same as always (colt, noveske, lmt)? I'm also think about going all out while I'm at it and adding a

suppressor.  If I were to go with a short barreled upper do I have to pay for another stamp on the suppressor? Sorry for all the questions and thanks for the help!

Your welcome for the previous info!
Personally I have a 10" upper (223) and am having a 300 whisper upper (8.5") being built (with a little help in my spare time) and will be looking at getting a 5.5" 22LR dedicated set-up in the future.
Bang for the buck (aside from the used market) I would say LMT is an excellent option.  If 10.5" is good enough for the SEALS .. then you ought to be OK.
You will need approved paperwork with appropriate tax-stamps on each NFA item.  Yes, you will need to spend another $200 in tax for a suppressor.
I currently have a SureFire can waiting on a F4 that will go on my 10" gun and a SAS 30 cal can (also waiting on a F4) that will be attached to the 300 Whisper!

welcome to the dark side!

ETA:  I think I have always liked the 7.5" upper with a collapsable stock .. I might have to do one of them once I have some more disposable income!
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 7:36:30 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Your welcome for the previous info!
Personally I have a 10" upper (223) and am having a 300 whisper upper (8.5") being built (with a little help in my spare time) and will be looking at getting a 5.5" 22LR dedicated set-up in the future.
Bang for the buck (aside from the used market) I would say LMT is an excellent option.  If 10.5" is good enough for the SEALS .. then you ought to be OK.
You will need approved paperwork with appropriate tax-stamps on each NFA item.  Yes, you will need to spend another $200 in tax for a suppressor.
I currently have a SureFire can waiting on a F4 that will go on my 10" gun and a SAS 30 cal can (also waiting on a F4) that will be attached to the 300 Whisper!

welcome to the dark side!

ETA:  I think I have always liked the 7.5" upper with a collapsable stock .. I might have to do one of them once I have some more disposable income!

Thanks! Now I guess I'll start looking through the SBR pic thread to see what length I prefer...
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 8:19:30 AM EDT
[#3]
I went with an A2 upper with an 11.5" barrel not sure why maybe because  the one in the movie Heat looked cool  or possibly because of my 20" and 16" middle and I wanted them to all look similar ...or I just didn't know what I was doing or a combination of all ...either way I'm very happy with what I have...I would like to do a suppressor but I know nothing about them at this point so I have research to do and most likely a few questions to ask
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 6:28:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Don't forget, you'll need enough barrel length past the gas block to accomodate the suppressor...   Measure twice before you buy.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 8:51:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Don't forget, you'll need enough barrel length past the gas block to accomodate the suppressor...   Measure twice before you buy.

How much would I need?
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 12:26:34 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

How much would I need?

Depends on the suppressor.  Some go back over the barrel, some don't.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 12:53:38 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I’ve been looking at SBR’s too.  Not sure what I would do with it besides blow a lot of expensive ammo but it would be fun.
There are any number of companies that make SBR’s   I’m no expert but the names that you mention are a good start.  ADCO also has some as well and they have a way cool one on their sight someplace that has the PRI free-float forearm.  I don’t think it is one of their offered guns/ uppers but it sure looks bad-ass!  (I think it is in some other category that has nothing to do with SBR’s on their website but I wish they had some info on it.)  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top