Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/13/2004 1:47:28 PM EDT

Hey guys, I've been browsing through a lot of the posts here, and I am looking at either a Remington 870 or a Mossberg 590.
This would primarily be a home defense/evil black shotgun, but I would also like to be able to bring down some Pheasent with it.

Is either of these better suited/more reliable than the other?
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 1:50:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Of the two I like the 870 better. The 590 seems a little "cheaper" and I don't like the play in the pump rails.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 1:54:16 PM EDT
[#2]
For home defence or that "Evil" shotgun, really the 870 or 590 are both excellent choices with about even aftermarket suport.

If you want a dual-purpose gun, get an 870.  You can always pick up a bird barrel if you like.

That's not to say you can't shoot birds with a cylinder choke.  I shoot skeet with Improved Cylinder in my Beretta Autoloader.  The same choke that's on my 870 HD with factory mag extension and Surefire forearm light and sidesaddle.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 1:56:40 PM EDT
[#3]
I am by no means an expert, but I do know a thing or two in regard to your post. Generally, a shotgun set up for home defense is not particularly well suited to game hunting. A home defense shotgun needs to be as short as is legal to possess so that you can manuver with it in confined spaces. A game hunting shotgun needs to have a full length barrel in order toget as much velocity as possible from the cartrigde fired.
A Remington 870 is a fine shotgun and can be found for very reasonable prices. I am a fan of Mossberg shotguns because they work and function as well as the higher end guns and are inexpensive enough that if I drop one over the side of my boat, I will not have that horrible feeling of loosing a $1000 investment.
You may want to consider getting an 870 or 590 with an additional barrel. One cut to minimum legal length for home defense, and one that is full length with interchageable chokes for field use. The again, getting one of each for less than $400 total should not be a problem.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 2:04:45 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I am by no means an expert, but I do know a thing or two in regard to your post. Generally, a shotgun set up for home defense is not particularly well suited to game hunting. A home defense shotgun needs to be as short as is legal to possess so that you can manuver with it in confined spaces. A game hunting shotgun needs to have a full length barrel in order toget as much velocity as possible from the cartrigde fired.

This used to be the case.  With modern smokeless powder, it burns much quicker than the old black powder shot shells.  If a 1 oz. load of bird shot is doing 1300 fps. out of a 28" bird barrell, it's not gonna loose that much velocity out of a 18" barrell.  You're still talking over 1100 fps. or better.  Not enough to make one bit difference.  

Your skill level will matter alot more that barrell length.  Get what you can shoot, not what someone says you need.

By the way, anyone know how to do CPR on a pheasant? I got one last year with my 18" 870 and realized I shouldn't have been able to... we need to get this bird back in the air.  
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 2:04:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 2:11:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Haha, great replies guys!
The more I think about it the more sense it makes to have the Evil and Blackness requirements met first. Cuz whenever I do go hunting I go with my dad and he's got several spare long barrel shotties and I could just borrow one of his. But the home defense thing is a little lacking right now....my 24" Bushy Varminter is just too unwieldy and my Beretta 9mm is kinda sissy
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 2:12:48 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
By the way, anyone know how to do CPR on a pheasant? I got one last year with my 18" 870 and realized I shouldn't have been able to... we need to get this bird back in the air.  hr

I did not state that a short barreled shotgun could not get the job done. I did not state that it shouldn't get the job done. I did state that GENERALLY, short barreled shotguns were not particularly well suited to game hunting. A longer barrel is easier for most people to aim well when shooting birds on flight. In addition, loosing 200 fps ( using your numbers) is a big deal when wing shooting.

The member asked a general question and I gave a general answer.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 2:25:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Here's another question: What is a good site to get Moss 590 and Rem 870 accessories?
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 3:06:11 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:
By the way, anyone know how to do CPR on a pheasant? I got one last year with my 18" 870 and realized I shouldn't have been able to... we need to get this bird back in the air.  

I did not state that a short barreled shotgun could not get the job done. I did not state that it shouldn't get the job done. I did state that GENERALLY, short barreled shotguns were not particularly well suited to game hunting. A longer barrel is easier for most people to aim well when shooting birds on flight. In addition, loosing 200 fps ( using your numbers) is a big deal when wing shooting.

The member asked a general question and I gave a general answer.

Sorry buddy, but this deserves a big fat giant...

explicitvie removed because I read the mod's post and see his point, however, I am still offended by the use of the phrase "particularly well suited..." as this is the language the Gov't uses to violate the 2A at will.
go back to DU!
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 6:13:05 PM EDT
[#10]
I personally really like the Rem 870 due to it's flexablity and the wide number of accessories that enable one to configure it ready to take on anything from ducks to bucks to trucks!

I shoot a Super Express Magnum (3.5" magnum!!) that I fitted with the Hogue / Knoxx Comp Stock for recoil reduction.  BEST INVESTMENT I EVER MADE FOR MY 870!  I shot a full two boxes of 3.5 Mag last waterfowl season at a session (yup I limited out but had the "yips" for my first obx!) and felt nothing but some stock movement fore and aft on my chin - whisker tickler!!.  (lest anyone think I am a wuss or otherwise, I am 6'3" 275lb former MP Staff Sgt. and weapon instructor and can take the recoil,  but with experience just don't see the need to take recoil abuse when a better solution is right there.

What I like about the 870 is that I can/have fitted the standard police 18" or 20" bbls and fire 2&3/4 and 3" shells in my 870 as a tactical / social shotgun without missing a beat.  I had my gun smith smooth out the Remington factory dimples so I could use the remington law enforcement extended magazine tube, then I bought a spare forearm with action bars ($20 at a gun show) and just replaced the wood with a surefire tactical light and I am set for whatever

I grew up shooting an 870 (first gun from my grandfather was a 20 gauge 870 full chk pheasant gun!) so it just feels right for me.  my advise is to go with what feels best and WORKS for you

Best of luck and hope this information is useful!

CRB - Bigger_Hammer

Link Posted: 9/13/2004 6:24:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Maddog Killer - the reason most sporting shotguns carry the longer bbl is to promote a smooth swing and thus help hunters connect on their shots.

The longer bbls were preferred in ye days of old to get that last bit of umph from each shell, but in reality, most powder and thus velocity is reached at 21" according to most reading.

The longer bbl puts weight out front and helps to keep shooters (especially hunters) from stopping their swing when squeezing off their shot and thus missing behind.  

I was curious about the fact that most sporting clays (very fast moving shooters) swing 26 to 28 and even 30" bbls just to keep them swinging.

Thanks for your post and good luck with your Mossberg!  I have owned several 590s and 835s and agree they may not pretty or a slick, but they work sun up to sundown!  ( I did keep my unique 590 bullpup (36" total lenght with 20" bbl and 9 rounds capacity) just to give the guys at the skeet range heart lock when I bring out the Death Ray!!

Good luck and good shooting partner!

CRB - A.K.A. Bigger_Hammer
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 6:32:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 2:07:39 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Edited to add:

Nationwide, I think you over reacted to Maddogkillers comment about longer barrel. I believe he was just answering the question purely from a technical not a political point of view. MIKE.

Point taken.  Please see my previous post for more on this.  Thanks Mike.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 3:22:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 10:14:14 PM EDT
[#15]
as mentioned in earlier posts, please check out your local pawn shop and see if they've got a winchester 1300 in house.  barrels easy to find and inexpensive.  all standard gauges offered.  cheap.  cycle well.  

with shotguns, my humble advice is to try a cheapie which seems to fit and go from there.  

be at peace and death to doves.  
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 10:22:56 PM EDT
[#16]
870, more toys available
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 10:57:14 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
870, more toys available

But but, the 590a1 has a BAYONETTE LUG! It's MORE EVIL!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top