Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 3/24/2002 3:20:18 PM EDT
Aloha all-
Well, here in Minneapolis, I went to the big Gun Collectors show at the State Fairgrounds and DPMS was selling factory second complete forged lowers for $175. The only problem with it was a milling mistake on the outside of the mag well, in other words, completely cosmetic.

I couldn't resist. Picked one up, and a basic upper as well. 10 minutes later I was out of $600 and had a new member of the "family" to put in the safe.

Can't wait to go try it out on teusday (day off)! I'm looking forward to being on board here as well!
Link Posted: 3/24/2002 3:23:11 PM EDT
Welcome aboard. Things get a little crazy here sometimes but it's pretty much a good group of guys and gals.

So, how many mags you got?
Buy more.
Link Posted: 3/24/2002 3:25:59 PM EDT
Welcome to the Black Rifle family. Don't you just love gun shows that you can buy and assemble a firearm while you go around the tables.
Link Posted: 3/24/2002 4:19:18 PM EDT
Congrats on the new family member!!

How about them Vikings!!

ColtShorty

GOA KABA COA JPFO SAF NRA

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted
and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do
these things to other people and I require
the same from them."
Link Posted: 3/24/2002 4:21:20 PM EDT
Congrats!....it only gets worse..now you need mags...lots of mags....and ammo...lots of ammo.

medcop
Link Posted: 3/24/2002 6:04:09 PM EDT
Welcome...Anything you need to know will be found here..If not they will tell you where to find it..Be safe and SHOOT THAT SUCKER
Link Posted: 3/24/2002 6:13:02 PM EDT

Originally Posted By ColtShorty:

How about them Vikings!!

ColtShorty

the same from them."

Welcome jackalope !!

and how bout' them vikings.... BWAAHHAAAAHHA !!!
DA-BEARS!!
Link Posted: 3/24/2002 7:22:36 PM EDT
Thanks all! It's allways nice to feel welcome...

Ok, only 2 Thermold 30 round mags (hey, it gets cold around here...) and one 10-rounder that came with the AR. I'm going to be looking in Shotgun news for better prices than I could find in the gun shows. And yes, I'm saving for a Beta-C, just because!

So, I know that green mags are the best...any comment on 3rd party mags like Eagle and such? I figure I should buy some at least for plinking, and save money for the good mags so I can buy some a few times a year.

Maybe I should ask that on the magazine section, but since we are here...

Link Posted: 3/24/2002 8:17:12 PM EDT

Originally Posted By SPECTRE:

Originally Posted By ColtShorty:

How about them Vikings!!

ColtShorty

the same from them."

Welcome jackalope !!

and how bout' them vikings.... BWAAHHAAAAHHA !!!
DA-BEARS!!

Oh ya!!!!!!!
You just wait until next...........

Nevermind, they'll suck next season too.

ColtShorty

the same from them."
Link Posted: 3/24/2002 9:02:28 PM EDT

Originally Posted By HMC:
Don't waste money on cheap mags- they'll just fail or break, and you'll wind up paying more than if you just bought a few of the more higher quality types.

Veterans of AR's- am I right?

Good point.

A-spending I will go! :D
Link Posted: 3/24/2002 9:21:36 PM EDT

Originally Posted By The_Jackalope:

Originally Posted By HMC:
Don't waste money on cheap mags- they'll just fail or break, and you'll wind up paying more than if you just bought a few of the more higher quality types.

Veterans of AR's- am I right?

Good point.

A-spending I will go!

fixed the smiley for ya. welcome aboard. I have to warn you though Its very addictive.
Link Posted: 3/24/2002 9:25:26 PM EDT
Welcome Aboard!!! I hope it shoots well for ya!
Link Posted: 3/24/2002 9:42:44 PM EDT
i got a lower there too. was yours complete? they had a couple stainless lowers that were $175. i paid $230 for the stripped lower, parts set, and A2 stock. also got an Aimpoint scope for $250. mags were way too expensive and pre bans were way too high...$1400? whatever.
Link Posted: 3/24/2002 10:11:47 PM EDT

Originally Posted By inferno715:
i got a lower there too. was yours complete? they had a couple stainless lowers that were $175. i paid $230 for the stripped lower, parts set, and A2 stock. also got an Aimpoint scope for $250. mags were way too expensive and pre bans were way too high...$1400? whatever.

Yes, I bought a complete lower. Really, the only problem with it (being a 'factory second') was a minor cosmetic problem which is hardly noticable at all. Forged and $175 for the whole lower. They had stripped lowers for $125. All of them went within the first few hours on the first day of the show...they were pretty popular.

I am thinking about getting a pre-ban AR before the year is up, even if it's not in the best condition... I like that the availablity of pre-ban uppers is quite good, and replacing the upper is part of the love that I have for the black rifle.

So what would one consider a decent price for a pre-ban AR? Just curious, I seem to see almost all of them going for $1200-1800 range.
Top Top