Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/10/2001 6:23:41 PM EDT
Hello everyone, I'm new to the board.  I have a question though.  My buddy and I each ordered one of those Century AR's the other week, and they showed up today.  His AR came with a lower receiver marked Century Arms AR-15 on the left side of the magwell.  His lower also looked to have a cold blue oxide satin finish.  All in all, it looked very nice.  My AR on the other hand had a DPMS lower receiver.  It looks parkerized, and not blued like my friends.  It's marked D.P.M.S. Becker, MN. USA next to the bolt release catch, and stamped CAL. 223-5.56, MOD: C-15, S/N: C2XXX

I've never owned a civilian AR before, the only experience I have had with them was in the Army with A2's.  Can anyone tell me anything about this receiver?  Is it any good?  How can I tell if it's postban or preban?  

I thought Century was making their own receivers and putting them on their AR kits???

Thanks for your help.
Link Posted: 12/10/2001 6:28:10 PM EDT
[#1]
DPMS is a quality manuf., don't worry...  Defense Procurement Manufacturing Service.  Go look at dpmsinc.com
Link Posted: 12/10/2001 9:04:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Is this a fluke?  I'm not complaining, but I thought that Century was using only their receivers.

Anyone else have any info?  How can I tell if it's stainless steel, carbon steel, or aluminum?

It looks cast, and has a parkerized finish to it.
Link Posted: 12/11/2001 2:28:29 AM EDT
[#3]
You didn't mention your AR15's serial number.
This is what OLY has to say about Century Arms AR15s:
www.olyarms.com/serialnumbers.html
SN TBOR1791 - TBOR1991 1991 1991
These receivers are made from Berrilium copper, and are a bright Gold color when polished. They are a collector series of 200 only receiver sets (w/A1 uppers) to commemorate the 200th Anniversary of The Bill Of Rights, hence the "TBOR" serial number pre-fix.

SN CIA0001 - CIA3402   10/28/1996 07/14/1997
These receivers were made under contract with Century International Arms.  These are NOT factory Oly firearms & ARE post ban guns.
NOTE ON CIA GUNS
www.olyarms.com/cia.html
Century International Arms & the "CIA" brand Centurion 15 Rifles
A version of the AR-15 named the "Centurion-15" was produced by Century International Arms in 1996, and 1997. The lower receivers uses on the rifles were manufactured by Olympic Arms under contract for CIA. However, the only parts used for the manufacture of these rifles that were actually manufactured by Olympic Arms are the receivers themselves, and the safety selectors (which in this case happen to be reversible).
There is often much confusion over these weapons, as to whom is responsible for there proper function, as well as product liability. In every case, regardless of question, all responsibilities with regards to product liability is the sole responsibility of Century International Arms.

Link Posted: 12/11/2001 11:13:11 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Is this a fluke?  I'm not complaining, but I thought that Century was using only their receivers.

Anyone else have any info?  How can I tell if it's stainless steel, carbon steel, or aluminum?

It looks cast, and has a parkerized finish to it.

It is cast aluminum (all Century rifles are).  Finish should be annodized (neither parkerization nor blueing work on Aluminum).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top