Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/17/2013 9:03:09 AM EDT
Been doing a lot of reading over the past few weeks and to quote the FAQ for this page - Suppressors are a very complicated hobby, I've learned with this.

I've decided to start off simple - a .22LR suppressor for the moment, simple - fairly inexpensive and fun right off the bat.

For hosts, I have:
Savage 93r22 TRR-SR MK.II (that's a handful...) Just bought it this last weekend with the intention of going forward with a suppressor, I actually spent an extra $125 on a brand new gun, vs a used one my LGS had, because of the threaded barrel.

Sig mosquito - Gen 1, it jams... a lot. But it's fun with CCI rounds that it actually cycles.

GSG-5  

M&P 15-22 MOE

I plan on getting an M&P 22 pistol and probably a rugar 10/22 eventually as well. Possibly another savage 93 in .17 as well.

I've done a lot of reading and why to avoid aluminium cans and go with a stainless steel / titanium one. I'm not going to penny pinch over this, so I've narrowed it down to two choices:

1. Liberty Essences

Pros: Light weight, very quiet, user cleanable, great customer service with Liberty.

Cons:  Not terribly easy to clean?  Most expensive on the market.

2. Silencerco Sparrow II

Pros: User cleanable / easiest to clean on the market, not terribly expensive, rated for 5.7mm just in case I ever go that route.

Cons:  Not as quiet as the liberty,  little heavier.  

Basically, I'm 50/50 between either of them. I'm leaning towards the Sparrow II simply due to cost and availability vs. the essence. But at the same time, no one really has said how hard it is to clean the Liberty essence and I'm looking for feed back on the essence as well.

Thoughts? Help? Advice?

Thanks!

Link Posted: 6/17/2013 9:08:34 AM EDT
[#1]
I would pick #1..If #2 is going to be heavier, I would want it quieter, that is the whole reason for getting a CAN.

Ease of cleaning is a consideration but Ive got an Outback 1 and havent had too much problem cleaning it , I do plan to send it back to Gemtech for an upgrade later on. I would think Lightweight (for .22lr especially) and Quietness would be my priorities over all things.

Suppresors are far from complicated, not sure why you had posted that. Also DB ratings on websites can be subjective at best.

To help keep your CAN from getting too dirty, stick with Standard Velocity Copper coated ammo (if you can find any). It is going to be about as quiest as subsonic ammo, which is all lead based.

Also, why are you limiting yourself to just those 2 brands? There are dozens of companies it seems. Personally, id see who had one on the shelf ready to go and then start making decisions based around that, otherwise you could have a nice long wait just for your Dealer to get it on their shelf.
Link Posted: 6/17/2013 10:22:53 AM EDT
[#2]
The Sparrow is, for me anyway, so light as to not be noticeable on the end of my pistol.

My recommendation is the Sparrow.
Link Posted: 6/17/2013 12:46:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Why is great customer service listed as a pro for the liberty but not for the sparrow? Silencer Co has amazing customer service.
Link Posted: 6/17/2013 1:52:21 PM EDT
[#4]
I vote sparrow SS. I didn't notice it to be too heavy when I shot it on my 22/45 or my Savage. I have a form 4 in for one right now.
Link Posted: 6/17/2013 2:54:47 PM EDT
[#5]
It may be worthwhile looking into a multi-caliber can, such as the SWR Octane HD 9, which can shoot .22, 9mm and .300 BLK/Whisper. It's always nice to have lots of options; you basically get 3 cans in one. I have an SWR and it is FANTASTIC.
Link Posted: 6/17/2013 4:36:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Look at the Spectre II and Liberty Kodiak TL.
Link Posted: 6/18/2013 8:19:43 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
It may be worthwhile looking into a multi-caliber can, such as the SWR Octane HD 9, which can shoot .22, 9mm and .300 BLK/Whisper. It's always nice to have lots of options; you basically get 3 cans in one. I have an SWR and it is FANTASTIC.

Has anyone done a shooting video with 22 in a 9 suppressor? My google fu came up short.

To the OP, I am with you. I am just starting this journey too and I am struggling making my mind up what to get first. 22lr, 9mm, 7.62....
Link Posted: 6/18/2013 9:18:02 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Look at the Spectre II and Liberty Kodiak TL.

For the one size fits all .22lr/multical can :  SWR Spectre II

http://www.swrsuppressors.com/products/rimfire/spectre-II#specs

.22 cans owned:
SWR Spectre I, SWR Warlock(2 ea.), SS Sparrow, Sparrow Gen. I, Outback II, TAC 67(Xcaliber Genesis Baffle UG)

If I could only have or wanted to get one .22 can it would be the SWR Spectre II    

Link Posted: 6/18/2013 11:45:14 AM EDT
[#9]
Haven't looked into the SWR suppressor..

Going to go shopping around 4-5 of my LGS and see if any of them have one of these four in stock:

Liberty Kodiak / Essence
SWR Specter II
SilencerCo Sparrow SS

Link Posted: 6/18/2013 12:09:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 6/18/2013 1:00:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Going to go shopping around 4-5 of my LGS and see if any of them have one of these four in stock:

Liberty Kodiak / Essence
SWR Specter II
SilencerCo Sparrow SS

What area of Ohio?

Link Posted: 6/18/2013 1:33:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Get the Sparrow.  I'm exceptionally happy with mine.

With subsonic on my 22/45 the only thing you can hear is a little "pfft" and the action cycling.
Link Posted: 6/18/2013 4:07:41 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Liberty Kodiak / Essence
SWR Specter II
SilencerCo Sparrow SS

What area of Ohio?

Youngstown area. Ellsworth specifically.
Link Posted: 6/18/2013 5:29:34 PM EDT
[#14]
Find a dealer that stocks the suppressor you choose. You don't want to have to wait for the form 3 from the mfg to the dealer   Better yet, find a dealer that has a range too.  That way you can shoot it whilst you wait the longest wait ever.

You can talk to Rich at RAM Enterprises in Medina (330) 722-5024.  I's a small hike from where you're at but he's a pleasure to deal with. Sadly, he has no range. It's a bit of a mom n pop shop.
Link Posted: 6/18/2013 6:02:54 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Been doing a lot of reading over the past few weeks and to quote the FAQ for this page - Suppressors are a very complicated hobby, I've learned with this.

I've decided to start off simple - a .22LR suppressor for the moment, simple - fairly inexpensive and fun right off the bat.

For hosts, I have:
Savage 93r22 TRR-SR MK.II (that's a handful...) Just bought it this last weekend with the intention of going forward with a suppressor, I actually spent an extra $125 on a brand new gun, vs a used one my LGS had, because of the threaded barrel.

Sig mosquito - Gen 1, it jams... a lot. But it's fun with CCI rounds that it actually cycles.

GSG-5  

M&P 15-22 MOE

I plan on getting an M&P 22 pistol and probably a rugar 10/22 eventually as well. Possibly another savage 93 in .17 as well.

I've done a lot of reading and why to avoid aluminium cans and go with a stainless steel / titanium one. I'm not going to penny pinch over this, so I've narrowed it down to two choices:

1. Liberty Essences

Pros: Light weight, very quiet, user cleanable, great customer service with Liberty.

Cons:  Not terribly easy to clean?  Most expensive on the market.

2. Silencerco Sparrow II

Pros: User cleanable / easiest to clean on the market, not terribly expensive, rated for 5.7mm just in case I ever go that route.

Cons:  Not as quiet as the liberty,  little heavier.  

Basically, I'm 50/50 between either of them. I'm leaning towards the Sparrow II simply due to cost and availability vs. the essence. But at the same time, no one really has said how hard it is to clean the Liberty essence and I'm looking for feed back on the essence as well.

Thoughts? Help? Advice?

Thanks!

Of those choices the Sparrow.  if you want bang for the buck look up Huntertown Arms.  My first one will be the SWR Spectre II
Link Posted: 6/18/2013 7:50:09 PM EDT
[#16]
I'd suggest looking at the SWR Spectre II - it meters very well on both pistols and rifles and handles more than just 22 LR.  MSRP is 399, so it's a little less expensive than several other (also popular) options.  It's what I have waiting at my (semi)LGS - only a few months left.  

If choosing between the two you listed, I'd go with the Sparrow, even though Liberty gets good reviews, especially with center-fire cans.
Link Posted: 6/18/2013 8:10:49 PM EDT
[#17]
Spectre was my first can.....still my favorite!
Link Posted: 6/18/2013 9:55:51 PM EDT
[#18]
Can you guess my favorite?

Liberty essence,one for me one for each of my kids.
Sorry for the poor pic
Link Posted: 6/19/2013 4:03:32 AM EDT
[#19]
www.hartsguns.com

Rich at Hart's guns in Uniontown, OH has suppressors. That's where I got mine from. He's by appointment only. Also, http://rjs-defense.com/ in Hartville stocks suppressors.

Link Posted: 6/20/2013 8:28:19 AM EDT
[#20]
Spectre II. I own the Sparrow II and love it, but the Spectre has it beat. The Spectre is about $100 cheaper, damn near as easy to clean, and as quiet as the essence! It's a no brainier, and I love SilencerCo and Liberty both.
Link Posted: 6/20/2013 8:41:25 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Can you guess my favorite?
http://i647.photobucket.com/albums/uu192/ajcmpeterson/41FE3050-1AB9-4F23-99A4-8E9EB704F2D2-7419-00000BD93722A047.jpg
Liberty essence,one for me one for each of my kids.
Sorry for the poor pic

Which one of those can you take apart with no tools or dip after a couple thousand rounds?

My vote is Sparrow.  Most mono-core rimfire cans require the core to be threaded or slipped into the sleeve, and they will lock up with carbon and lead in no time if you're not careful.
The Sparrow has the clamshell inner sleeves that make it a snap to tear down, and clean, even after thousands of rounds.
Link Posted: 6/20/2013 10:24:03 AM EDT
[#22]
I got a 5.56 can my first go around.

Dont regret it what so ever.

.22lr and pistol caliber stuff to me isnt too loud with protection unsuppressed. Now a SBR AR in 5.56mm with a brake is just uncomfortable no matter what your wearing for protection atleast to me.

So thats what justified it to me. It was pretty much one of the first suppressed guns Ive ever heard outdoors, while not hollywood quiet, I was pleased with the results.

ETA and I somehow put this in the wrong thread. Please ignore
Link Posted: 6/21/2013 6:46:48 PM EDT
[#23]
eos
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top