Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/18/2006 9:20:01 PM EDT
Well my Mosin is on a truck between here and there, when it get here what do I need to know? I am new to bolt rifles in general but have been a shooter as long as I remember.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 10:10:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Get the head-space checked, and don't let the diarrhea out of the bag.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 3:11:40 AM EDT
[#2]
Load the bullets from the top, holding the bullet tips and pivoting the rear of the case into the stripper clip slot. By keeping the bullet tip high, you load the bullets rims properly to make the action work better. By holding 5 bullets ready in my left hand and resting the rifle on the left arm (I am right handed), I can load 5 bullets in very short order with my right hand.

Complete disassembley and cleaning before firing. "Orange wipes' clean cosmoline quite well.

Check the firing pin protrusion height with the provided tool/gauge.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 6:52:12 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 12:01:26 PM EDT
[#4]
it a 91/30 1943 from Izhevsk with matching bayonet and the full parts kit.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 8:01:04 AM EDT
[#5]
Oh yes  ! !  The tried and true 91/30 -- good choice  ! !   Little easier on the shoulder than the shorter M-44 or M-38's . . .

Let's see now . . . . .

First -- clean the cosmoline off the rifle and out of the bore.  

Then get some ammo.  You'll need about a thousand rounds to start -- don't laugh  ! !  Shoot it a few times and you'll see  ! !    Any military surplus WILL BE CORROSIVE ! ! !   But . . . not really a problem. Good old off-the-shelf Windex -- you know , the stuff to clean off your windows -- works just fine.  Just spray it down the bore and run a few patches right after your done shooting and you'll be fine (spray the bolt face too).  The clean as you would any other rifle when you get home.  

As for ammo . . . . Albanian is good (brass cased) and the Polish surplus I just picked up has copper-washed cases.  Cheap and reliable too  ! !  I've got some Russian copper-washed cased amo that's REALLY good  ! -- might be a little harder to find.  Seems that some rifles like one type of ammo better than others.  Get a selection of ammo and give it a try.  

You've made a good choice on the 91/30 --- now start saving-up for the M-44  ! ! !

Link Posted: 2/20/2006 9:20:41 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Oh yes  ! !  The tried and true 91/30 -- good choice  ! !   Little easier on the shoulder than the shorter M-44 or M-38's . . .

Let's see now . . . . .

First -- clean the cosmoline off the rifle and out of the bore.  

Then get some ammo.  You'll need about a thousand rounds to start -- don't laugh  ! !  Shoot it a few times and you'll see  ! !    Any military surplus WILL BE CORROSIVE ! ! !   But . . . not really a problem. Good old off-the-shelf Windex -- you know , the stuff to clean off your windows -- works just fine.  Just spray it down the bore and run a few patches right after your done shooting and you'll be fine (spray the bolt face too).  The clean as you would any other rifle when you get home.  

As for ammo . . . . Albanian is good (brass cased) and the Polish surplus I just picked up has copper-washed cases.  Cheap and reliable too  ! !  I've got some Russian copper-washed cased amo that's REALLY good  ! -- might be a little harder to find.  Seems that some rifles like one type of ammo better than others.  Get a selection of ammo and give it a try.  

You've made a good choice on the 91/30 --- now start saving-up for the M-44  ! ! !

Already saving for the M44 and I already have over 1200 rds of ammo in the closet, just waiting for the call from my FFL
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 10:06:22 AM EDT
[#7]
My favorite Ruskys are the M44 and M38.  But my best advice (other than to echo the cleaning tips above) is to get your hands on a "mirror bore" Finn M39 as fast as you can.  It will change the way you think about milsurps.  Before I got my last Finn, I thought my nicer K31 was the holy grail of sub $400 accurate milsurps...well, then I changed my opinion (still like my K31s though).

FYI, I really like the Polish surplus for my Russian rifles and while it shoots very well in my M39, I like to "treat" her with handloads or Win. JSP or FMJ factory ammo ($14-15 / 20 though).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top