Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/13/2006 9:52:57 AM EDT
Does it matter on which way the ammo is loaded into the clip?
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 9:55:17 AM EDT
[#1]
If you mean does the clip have a "top" and "bottom", no. It'll work either way.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 10:00:00 AM EDT
[#2]
well actually when you look at the clip from the business end the top round is on the left and the bottom round is on the right,
If you load it with the top round on the right and the bottom round on the left. Make any difference?
like this:
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 10:03:00 AM EDT
[#3]
While CHUCK is the acknowleged Garand expert, IIRC, when inserting the en-bloc clip into the rifle, the top round should be on the right.

Mike

Link Posted: 1/13/2006 10:05:04 AM EDT
[#4]
No difference. Now, go light a candle to the Blessed Virgin of Bilateral Symmetry.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 10:08:49 AM EDT
[#5]
I told you I was a noob
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 10:41:24 AM EDT
[#6]
While it will feed either way it is loaded on the clip, it may be more comfortable to have the top round on one side or the other depending on which hand you use to load that clip into the rifle.   For a right hander who is holding the rifle with his left hand and loading the clip with his right, it would be more comfortable to have the top round in the clip on the right side.  That way the top two rounds in the clip will follow the natural curvature of the thumb as it presses the clip into the rifle, as opposed to the thumb riding on the sharper lip of the clip itself.  At least I find it more comfortable that way as opposed to having the top round in the clip on the left.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 10:43:05 AM EDT
[#7]
I'm the opposite of Sheldon.  But yeah, it works either way.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 10:44:18 AM EDT
[#8]
thanks
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 2:41:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 3:46:41 PM EDT
[#10]
just an interesting note... ALL the Danish ammo that was sold the last few years had the top round on the left..
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 3:59:55 PM EDT
[#11]
A few of my garands are more reliable with the top round on the left.  I'm right handed but load all my clips that way.  Do what ever you like man./
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 4:12:02 PM EDT
[#12]
However you do it just watch your thumb!
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 3:29:37 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 4:09:11 AM EDT
[#14]
For advanced Garand loading, you can also load 1 to 7 rounds, and close the bolt on an empty chamber if desired.

You can also "top off" a partially empty clip already in the rifle.

When deer hunting, I usually use a clip with only 6 rounds in it (standard clip, not modified).
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 10:01:26 AM EDT
[#15]
The only times I have been bitten by my M1s is when cleaning. Both times it happened it was my fault. If you do not pull the bolt far enough to lock it back it will still sometimes hang up on the back edge of the follower. Then all you have to do is barely touch the follower and BAM, instant pain.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 7:23:37 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
For advanced Garand loading, you can also load 1 to 7 rounds, and close the bolt on an empty chamber if desired.

When deer hunting, I usually use a clip with only 6 rounds in it (standard clip, not modified).

Why do you use only 6 rds?  Why not just use a full clip??
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 7:32:19 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I do the same thing when I hunt in NY. State law limiting capacity for hunting.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 8:13:39 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
The top round of a M1 clip is on the right.  Per spec and how the ammo comes in loaded clips from the army ammunition plants.  

-- Chuck  

Ever bought any Danish ammo?

Never seen one loaded so top is right.  They are all top/left.

Yes, I know that this ammo is not U.S. Army made, but it functions just fine.

Tim
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 9:59:58 AM EDT
[#19]
works either way.  speed loading for cmp match  and left handed.  don't care just gotta shoot.   and i've never had problem
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 10:12:05 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

As I leave my truck, I pop the clip in and let the bolt ride over the top round, then double check to make sure the chamber is empty.  That way I am not fumbling with the clip in the tree stand.  Plus, If I need to load quickly while enroute to the stand, all I have to do is rack the bolt and I am ready to go.

Also, if I can't do it with 6 rounds, I can't do it with 8 either.  BTW 8 is perfectly legal, just don't feel I need that many.

Link Posted: 1/15/2006 11:43:15 AM EDT
[#21]
Lefties can load as fast or even faster than righties.... One of my local ranges use to have a 'Mad Minute" as a last stage of our Garand matches.. it is shot prone.. you get one minute to shoot as many ronds as you can at your target.. ONLY the rounds in the black count.. I still hold the record   I got off 32 rounds wit 29 in the black at 200yds on a 5V target which is 1" smaller in diameter thana SR target (13")  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top