Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/2/2006 3:12:30 PM EDT
I cant begin to say how stupid I feel for asking these questions. I tried seaching for a while but since I havnt ponied up for the special membership I havnt found much yet.

I am looking for .223 FALs or FAL clones and such (told you Im totally ignorant haha). Every one I see has a huge .308 mag sticking out so I guess I dont know what to look for. Im basically a plinker and this would be a plinker, HD, and possible a SHTF gun. Pretty multipurpose. Im on a budget too. Im leaning more towards .223 because I like to do rapid shooting alot and I know .308 rounds cost more and the added recoil might not be as fun for rapid firing and other stuff (I havnt even fired a .308 though haha but they just look like they have a good amount of kick). I know thats really pansy but I like to be able to just shoot for hours without a charlie horse or bruises.

So I guess, whats the cheapest .223 FAL out there? And whats just the plain cheapest/best deal FAL .308 or .223
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 3:18:31 PM EDT
[#1]
The only FAL "type" rifle I have seen was an FN CAL in 5.56mm.
We had one in our armory; it was the only one I've ever seen.
I do not know if there were any SA versions made, though.
Sorry I couldn't have been any more help.

B_S
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 3:28:29 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
The only FAL "type" rifle I have seen was an FN CAL in 5.56mm.
We had one in our armory; it was the only one I've ever seen.
I do not know if there were any SA versions made, though.
Sorry I couldn't have been any more help.

B_S

Thanks. I wish I could go FA. I also wich I could afford the price tag. Those are called FNCs too right?

This is the only semi-auto I have seen so far. The price is around 5x more than Id want to spend though
link
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 4:25:22 PM EDT
[#3]
cheapest FAL is a Century. but ive heard those are a hit and miss when it comes to quality. never heard of a .223 FAL on the market. if you buy bulk surplus, .308 is around the same price as .223.  some say FALs are the least kicking of all .308 battle rifles...
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 4:48:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Least kicking eh? How is it compared to an AR? It would be nice to have to ability to reach out during a SHTF situation. Plus FALs arent as common as ARs so it could be a better investment come a possible. How much to centuries run for? Should I avoid them? Any other lower priced brands out there?
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 5:04:10 PM EDT
[#5]
The CAL and FNC are different. If you want a FAL in 5.56, you'll need to look for a Springfield Armory SAR-4800. A few were imported in that caliber. There are also some conversions that have been done, notably the Meeper quick-change caliber conversions. Search at Falfiles.com for more info.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 5:20:37 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
The CAL and FNC are different. If you want a FAL in 5.56, you'll need to look for a Springfield Armory SAR-4800. A few were imported in that caliber. There are also some conversions that have been done, notably the Meeper quick-change caliber conversions. Search at Falfiles.com for more info.

The SAR-4800 seems to be out of my price range at 1-2 grand. I did a search at falfiles for meeper but didnt find anything. I guess Ill make a thread. But in the interim, how much do those conversions run?
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 5:36:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Here's a thread with his contact info... www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=163119

I don't how much the conversion runs, though. DSA was supposed to be coming out with there version of a 223 FAL last year, but I haven't heard any rumors lately.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 7:05:15 PM EDT
[#8]
thanks!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top