Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 8/12/2011 10:31:56 AM EDT
I am looking to build an AR 9mm SBR.

If I purchase a Lower with intent of making it into an SBR, and I have the option of having it engraved before it ships to me, I need to have my Name, City and State engraved, correct? I can us the serial # and Cal. off the lower from the manufacturer?

The lower can come in through a reg FFL, until I actually do the paperwork and get it classified as a Tittle 3 weapon, and put an upper on it?

If this has been posted before, I am sorry. I have tried using the search mode, but that thing kicks my ass....
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 11:59:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/12/2011 12:01:49 PM EDT by TitleII]
Originally Posted By NCUrk:
I am looking to build an AR 9mm SBR.

If I purchase a Lower with intent of making it into an SBR, and I have the option of having it engraved before it ships to me, I need to have my Name, City and State engraved, correct? I can us the serial # and Cal. off the lower from the manufacturer?

The lower can come in through a reg FFL, until I actually do the paperwork and get it classified as a Tittle 3 weapon, and put an upper on it?

If this has been posted before, I am sorry. I have tried using the search mode, but that thing kicks my ass....

OK first just to be picky, it will be a Title II not Title 3 gun.  The 3 is the class of SOT (special occupational taxpayer)... a dealer that can deal in Title II guns.  It's OK, everyone calls them class 3 guns but that is not really proper terminology...Title II or NFA is proper terminology, but never Title 3.

With that said...

Yes, as an individual you will need your full name, city, and state.  Postal abbreviations are acceptation but it must be your full name as it will appear on the form 1.  You will use the serial number from the lower, but you will put the caliber of the gun you want to initially build.  This may or may not be the caliber engraved on the lower...doesn't make a difference.

Yes, it can transfer through any FFL until it has a short upper on it.  You must be 21 years old.

Make sure you familiarize you self with the upcoming changes to NC SBR law.

Make sure yo want to do this as an individual versus a trust before you engrave.

Did I miss anything?

Link Posted: 8/12/2011 12:40:30 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 12:59:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/12/2011 1:01:05 PM EDT by NCUrk]
Thank you for educating me on the proper terminology and for the info.

Another quick question. I plan on doing it under my name, not a Trust. I also plan on having 2 uppers for it. One SBR and one a standard non SBR upper. If my wife wanted to take the weapon to the range with the non SBR upper without me.... would that be legal becouse it is not in the SBR configuration? or does the law not care about how it is configured, just how it is registered? I understand it would be easier to have the weapon under a Trust and just have both our names as "authorized" users. Just trying to broaden my education here.
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 1:21:18 PM EDT
Originally Posted By NCUrk:
Thank you for educating me on the proper terminology and for the info.

Another quick question. I plan on doing it under my name, not a Trust. I also plan on having 2 uppers for it. One SBR and one a standard non SBR upper. If my wife wanted to take the weapon to the range with the non SBR upper without me.... would that be legal becouse it is not in the SBR configuration? or does the law not care about how it is configured, just how it is registered? I understand it would be easier to have the weapon under a Trust and just have both our names as "authorized" users. Just trying to broaden my education here.

Yes, this would be legal, because an SBR is a configuration, not a registration status. Unlike a machine gun, an SBR can temporarily be removed from Title II status by changing it to a Title I configuration.
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 1:56:25 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 7:47:14 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/13/2011 7:53:15 AM EDT by TitleII]
oops
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 7:51:55 AM EDT
If you want your wife to be able to take the gun to the range…

If you possess the SBR as an individual, you must take steps to ensure that no other person has access to it.  If another person has access to the Title II item, the ATF might find that an illegal transfer has taken place.

So, you need to lock up the gun.  For the sake of discussion, let’s assume that you lock the gun up in a gun safe.  Only you can have the combination to the safe.

If your wife wants to take the reconfigured 16+ inch gun to the range you and only you would be allowed to open the safe and reconfigure the gun with a +16 inch barrel.

I have two thoughts here.  (1) Do a Trust. (2) Lowers are cheap, have a dedicated non NFA +16 inch gun for the wife.
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 10:55:04 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/13/2011 10:57:46 AM EDT by NCUrk]
Rethinking to whole Trust thing... It seems it may be the best in the long run. I want to build my  SBR AR, she has a CA94 that she wants to take the fake suppressor off of, and we both want real suppressor's. I think a Trust would be best. Thanks all.

Thanks for the link Tony. Lots of good info in there.
Top Top