Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 6/19/2012 1:20:41 PM EDT
Just wanted to let you guys know that there is a new core option for your YHM Mite.  Its made by X-Caliber Firearms.  Here is a link:

http://www.thesilencerstore.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=9&products_id=42

Link Posted: 6/19/2012 1:32:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/19/2012 1:33:09 PM EDT by jt526]
Just pulled the trigger on the upgrade and sent can off. If you were a supporting member of the silenerceresearch site currently or in the past you can get $50 off. My mite SUCKS and I've almost sheared the core in the last disassembly, so off it went today. I'll post a mini review when I get it back.
Link Posted: 6/20/2012 5:43:07 AM EDT
Originally Posted By jt526:
Just pulled the trigger on the upgrade and sent can off. If you were a supporting member of the silenerceresearch site currently or in the past you can get $50 off. My mite SUCKS and I've almost sheared the core in the last disassembly, so off it went today. I'll post a mini review when I get it back.

Anxiously awaiting your review.  I'm much too lazy for the insane amount of maintenance the mite needs.
Link Posted: 6/20/2012 6:40:19 AM EDT
Would love to see some pics of the new setup.
Link Posted: 6/20/2012 6:58:22 AM EDT
Originally Posted By capbyrd:
Originally Posted By jt526:

Anxiously awaiting your review.  I'm much too lazy for the insane amount of maintenance the mite needs.

Nailed it right there, I treat that can like crap because I hate taking it apart so much. Freezing, heat, kroil, you name it. I have no luck with the "Just unscrew it while it is hot after shooting" school of thought. None. I need three clydesdales and a small boy on the strap wrench anytime I go for dissassembly. $250 to not have this problem and use a nice K baffle core with take down tool and I am in. Either way I needed a new core, this way costs me some money, but also makes it actually quiet! Or so it seems from the DB metering.
Link Posted: 6/20/2012 5:45:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/20/2012 5:46:29 PM EDT by hotrodtba]
I just paid and checked out and will be sending mine in tomorrow.  Kinda pricey, but my Mite just sits because I barely got it open the last time and it scares me that it won't come open the next time. Plus its the loudest .22 can I have and is kinda embarrassing shooting it along with all my other ones. So off it goes.
Link Posted: 6/20/2012 8:14:05 PM EDT
That's a huge improvement, but you're spending the price of a new can on it so it's bittersweet I suppose.
Link Posted: 6/20/2012 8:42:23 PM EDT
Very nice and it's quite.116db from a P22 is awesome considering the Mite weak point was pistols. My SS Mite is awesome on a rifle. It's in the range of more of the top tier cans like the Sparrow or Spectre but $299 seems like a lot to me. I think I'll just buy another .22 can for the price. I take apart my SS Mite every range session and put anti-seize every 500rds or when it gets thought to breakdown.

But if you guys have one that doesn't come apart anymore or has been abused to death it will bring new life into a Suppressor that's not getting any use. I'm waiting for a review.
Link Posted: 6/21/2012 8:15:34 AM EDT
I'm gonna send in my Mite for that upgrade!   While it would be nice to just go out and buy a new .22 can that is better off the bat, this is a better decision for me financially and it comes with near-instant gratification since the turnaround time is 1 week (and not 6-7 months on a Form 4)

Link Posted: 6/21/2012 9:11:17 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Andrapos:
I'm gonna send in my Mite for that upgrade!   While it would be nice to just go out and buy a new .22 can that is better off the bat, this is a better decision for me financially and it comes with near-instant gratification since the turnaround time is 1 week (and not 6-7 months on a Form 4)

You nailed it, no turnaround time, and costs less by half I'd say, and I won't be ticked off every time I use my mite on a pistol. It is honestly louder than my Trident 9mm with handloads I swear. Looks like mine will be delivered to X Caliber today. Mite was fine on the rifle, but getting that damn core out has taken years off my life and I think I have anti-seize poisoning.
Link Posted: 6/23/2012 3:03:26 PM EDT
Mine goes in on monday,  can't wait to get it back!
Link Posted: 6/23/2012 5:49:08 PM EDT
Mine was delivered today. Can't wait to get it back and hear (or not hear) what it sounds like.
Link Posted: 6/23/2012 6:22:30 PM EDT
Originally Posted By hotrodtba:
Mine was delivered today. Can't wait to get it back and hear (or not hear) what it sounds like.

Range report please! :)
Link Posted: 6/24/2012 6:17:39 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/24/2012 6:18:04 AM EDT by JohnStoner]
Anyone know if the replacement baffles retain the same performance as the SS Mite.  I like using it on 17HMR.
Link Posted: 6/24/2012 11:09:30 AM EDT
Originally Posted By JohnStoner:
Anyone know if the replacement baffles retain the same performance as the SS Mite.  I like using it on 17HMR.

Should be, as the baffles are stainless and used in their 22lr suprressor which is 17hmr rated. I asked john titsworth about full auto and he said it would be fine. He answers question n silencer talk very quickly, so you can hit him up over there as well.
Link Posted: 6/24/2012 12:35:24 PM EDT
What do they do with your old baffles? Or do you get to keep both of them?
Link Posted: 6/24/2012 12:53:37 PM EDT
Originally Posted By 3s1k:
What do they do with your old baffles? Or do you get to keep both of them?

You cannot keep the old baffles.  My guess is he crushes them.
Link Posted: 6/25/2012 5:51:47 PM EDT
Sent mine off today. I'm interested to see how it will perform next to my AAC element.
Link Posted: 6/26/2012 6:37:55 AM EDT
Please post reviews. I'm seriously considering this. For those who sent their Mites in, did you opt for all stainless and added weight, or just a stainless last baffle and aluminum baffles? I'm leaning towards just a stainless blast baffle.
Link Posted: 6/26/2012 7:24:29 AM EDT
Originally Posted By eric496:
Please post reviews. I'm seriously considering this. For those who sent their Mites in, did you opt for all stainless and added weight, or just a stainless last baffle and aluminum baffles? I'm leaning towards just a stainless blast baffle.

I went all stainless so I can just dip the baffles and not futz around with cleaning each one individually. I'm fully aware of the hazards, wear gloves etc. and take the solution to the hazmat center so the dip doesn't scare me much. The difference is 3oz, and while I liked the mite for the lightweight, I've never had a problem with the weight of my spectre, so might as well go easiest to clean route.
Link Posted: 6/27/2012 3:44:20 PM EDT
Got an email today that my Mite is on the way back already.  Can't wait to get it and see how it sounds.
Link Posted: 6/28/2012 4:53:22 PM EDT
Originally Posted By hotrodtba:
Got an email today that my Mite is on the way back already.  Can't wait to get it and see how it sounds.

Let us know how easily it disassembles after shooting. That's MY biggest complaint.
Link Posted: 6/28/2012 5:28:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/28/2012 5:31:25 PM EDT by hotrodtba]
Here's a video John made showing the dis-assembly process and how to use the the tool they send you.

Link Posted: 6/28/2012 8:19:51 PM EDT
I'm just gonna buy another can.
Link Posted: 6/29/2012 9:42:11 PM EDT
Will update tomorrow, initial reaction is sounds virtually identical to my spectre on a ruger 22/45 factory threaded and a ruger 22/45 with tacsol with aguila subsonics..  10 shots side by side indoors, switched hosts, 10 more. I am certainly pleased with the sound reduction. Good tone, and weight is between spectre and stock mite in feel.
Link Posted: 6/30/2012 1:51:59 PM EDT
I received my rebuilt Mite back from John yesterday.  Very nice machine work on the baffles –– nice tools for take-down.  The suppression levels are much much better than the original Mite with the monocore.  The baffle design appears to be very similar to the XCaliber Genesis suppressor offered by John. XCaliber Genesis suppressor

I have a small collection of 16 .22lr cans and this rebuild has moved the Mite from near the bottom in terms of suppression levels of the cans I own to near the top.  The SWR Spectre is still a little quieter according to my ears (this on a Buckmark with CCI Minimags and CCI Blazers).  Believe it or not, I have one full size can that is louder than the Mite was!!
Link Posted: 6/30/2012 2:09:36 PM EDT
Can you take a few pic of the new baffle and end cap
Link Posted: 6/30/2012 2:53:33 PM EDT
Here are some photographs of the baffles, spacer, tools, and endcap from my XCaliber rebuilt Mite.
The blast baffle is on the right side of the photographs –– it has the small hole near the edge of the baffle.

Link Posted: 7/3/2012 8:19:42 AM EDT
Just FYI, without the monocore in the mite, the thin outer tube is almost entirely unsupported. I put a small dent in mine using a strap wrench to unscrew the end cap. With the old core, the thin AL tube was pretty much fully supported. Not so much now, so be careful. My old mite habits reared their ugly head, and my default setting is strap wrench the hell out of it.
Top Top