Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/21/2002 6:02:16 AM EDT
What is the deal with the new SA Garand. I saw one in my local shop today.  New In the Springfield box.

I looked on the website.. no info there. To the displeasure of the clerk, I popped the trigger group out, new WRA and TRW parts??  

Anyone know what the deal is??

Thanks
Link Posted: 1/21/2002 6:13:03 AM EDT
[#1]
TRW parts in an M-1? TRW made M-14's not M-1's. As far as the trigger group goes, some parts are interchangeable, the hammer being one. Springfield has been using Italian military surplus M-1 receivers(Breda or Berreta) until they get their cast receivers in production. The parts will be a mix of U.S.G.I., Italian G.I., Danish G.I. and commercial Springfield Inc. contract parts. I'd go with the CMP since they are all U.S.G.I. and a hell of a lot cheaper than the Springfield Inc.
Link Posted: 1/21/2002 6:32:15 AM EDT
[#2]
I wish I had paid better attention to what parts of the trigger group had the TRW on it.  Most of the parts looked GI. But I am no expert.  It was a really nice looking weapon.  The thing that attracted me to it was new barrel, parts, stock, etc. vs CMP... I have heard some stories of spending $500 then having mismatched wood, re-barrels, barrels being close on the gauges... but it is a REAL M1!

But even more, I have had no idea, other than the CAI crap, that anyone was even building them.
Link Posted: 1/21/2002 6:33:30 AM EDT
[#3]
Yea, what Sukebe said.

A local dealer has one built on a Breda receiver with a Springfield Inc. barrel. The wood looks new but the rest of the metal is in slightly used condition (meaning; good enough to use as is, not bad enough to refinish).

It is overall a good looking rifle. But not worth $799 to me. The CMP rifles start at $400 for the Danish rifles and $500 for the USGI rifles. A better deal in my opinion.
Link Posted: 1/21/2002 6:38:17 AM EDT
[#4]
Recheck the website.....m1 info right on opening page....states "new reciever...barrell and stock....rest of parts usgi spec"......
Link Posted: 1/21/2002 6:42:53 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks BlackandGreen, that is the weapon...

The one I saw was all new, in the box and perfect. And a little expensive....$900

Link Posted: 1/21/2002 6:43:12 AM EDT
[#6]
This info has been on the website for a little while now:www.springfield-armory.com/whatsnew.shtml  (about half-way down the page)

How much was it?
Link Posted: 1/21/2002 6:45:01 AM EDT
[#7]
A Springfield Inc. M-1 will always be just another copy of the real thing. Which would you rather hand down to your children?
Link Posted: 1/21/2002 6:52:55 AM EDT
[#8]
Considering that they have experience building them....with the guaranteee....new parts...etc....I bet they sell them....thier opening limit may be to see how they go over.....All things considered.....800-900 for new...is probably worth it.......I don`t know if EVERYBODY gets a good deal from cmp....one guy told me he got garbage?????.....
Link Posted: 1/21/2002 7:12:20 AM EDT
[#9]
I anyone wants to pay $900.00 for an M-1 then I'll tell you what and this is no B.S. I have a restored to like new U.S.G.I. Springfield Armory M-1 ser #3225XXX (CMP receiver, have certificate)) with a 2-67 U.S.G.I. Springfield Armory barrel(TE is 2) on a BOYDS stock (same as SA inc. is using). I'll sell it. Email me if interested.
Link Posted: 1/21/2002 8:13:40 AM EDT
[#10]
I think the question is, what are you going to DO with the Garand.  If you want a collectors item, or one that's authentic, go with the CMP.  If you want an inexpensive shooter, do the CMP Danish.  If you want a nice shooter in good condition, get the new Springfeild if you can.  

I'm gonna go through the CMP and get either the USGI service grade or a Danish, because the first one I get will be a shooter.  When I want to get a nice, historic, collectors item, I'll do the CMP again.  If I can ever afford a new one, with the intention of shooting it, I will get a Springfield.  

Link Posted: 1/21/2002 9:06:23 AM EDT
[#11]
If you cant or wont go through the DCM to purchase a real Garand, Orion 7 has some beautiful examples priced fair.Their website is m1garand.com  
Link Posted: 1/22/2002 5:33:23 AM EDT
[#12]
Well, I couldn't resist the urge for a new M1! After reading and looking.... to get an M1 this nice I would have to either get something rebuilt by someone I don't know, Fulton (over !K), Orion (1K +), Miltech (same story), or a collector piece that would be a shame to shoot.

I'm happy, that is what counts!
Link Posted: 1/22/2002 11:18:03 AM EDT
[#13]
I originally wanted a .308 but SA has announced these will not be produced until April at the earliest so I am taking a .30-06. Should be here by the end of this month. I do not want another CMP Garand and I want to retire my NM M-1 which has been in continuous service since 1941. These rifles are being advertised as being constructed of unused parts. If I see anything that indicates otherwise when I go to pick it up I will simply refuse to accept it and be given a refund.  
Link Posted: 1/22/2002 1:19:08 PM EDT
[#14]
After I got mine home, I looked it over very careful for the same reason. Other than 1 test fire, everything was brand new, the gas plug looked as if a wrench had never touched it.  

It is a brand new M1!  

Hope you are as happy!
Link Posted: 1/22/2002 1:24:31 PM EDT
[#15]
A friend of mine just got one. It is a Brand new garand-built with the same specs on the same machines as the original. It is the same exact thing as the original, except 60 years newer.
Link Posted: 1/22/2002 1:39:34 PM EDT
[#16]
Just got back from www.ammoman.com
Good price on the Talon M2 ball.
FreeAmerican-
Give us a shooting report soon if you can! Even if mine arrives as promised it might take me anorher month to get to my gun club with it.
Link Posted: 1/22/2002 1:39:54 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
It is a Brand new garand-built with the same specs on the same machines as the original. It is the same exact thing as the original, except 60 years newer.

The new Garands are not "the exact same thing as the original."

The new garand receivers are cast, not forged, like the originals.  The only forged Garand receivers on the market are USGI from the CMP or Beretta receivers.
Link Posted: 1/22/2002 1:43:21 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
A Springfield Inc. M-1 will always be just another copy of the real thing. Which would you rather hand down to your children?

No question it'd be an original from the CMP.  

Aside from the history, the lower price, and the forged receiver, you'll also be saving a fine rifle from captain crunch.
Link Posted: 1/22/2002 1:45:40 PM EDT
[#19]
You know, you could get just a receiver from the CMP and have someplace like Orion 7 or Fulton Armory assemble and parkerize a rifle to YOUR specifications for about the same money (or less) than what Springfield wants for their Heinz 57 pseudo-Garands. However, everyone will spend their money as they desire.
Link Posted: 1/22/2002 3:29:15 PM EDT
[#20]
Springfield Inc. is NOT the same as the original Springfield Armory!

The recievers are NOT forged, and are NOT built on Springfield Armory machinery.

Chris
Link Posted: 1/22/2002 3:43:31 PM EDT
[#21]
Okay! Okay!
FreeAmerican promises to take his back and I promise to call my dealer tomorrow and ask for a refund on my deposit.
Everybody can relax now!
And if it turns out I can't get a refund I promise not to really like the rifle a whole lot and let it become one of my favorites.
Link Posted: 1/22/2002 3:47:13 PM EDT
[#22]

I have absolutely no problems with Springfield producing M1s, I just don't want people to think they are forged receivers.

They look like a nice rifle if the receiver is to spec.

Cheers,
Chris
Link Posted: 1/22/2002 3:55:19 PM EDT
[#23]
No4MK1-
You are absolutely right. And you are also obviously a fan of my absolute favorite service rifle!
Why, or how, people are getting the idea that these M-1's are being made with forged receivers is beyond me. As far as I know, SA has never claimed any such thing. At least not in writing that I can find.
Link Posted: 1/22/2002 3:57:45 PM EDT
[#24]
Get a CMP gun and have it restored.  Only way to go.  Check out www.dgrguns.com/index.html for instance.  Dean will do a tech inspection, reparkerize, and refinish the wood for $220.  

You can get them rebarreled in .308, too, if that's your thing.  Just keep in mind that doing so is sacrilegious, and will keep you out of heaven.
Link Posted: 1/22/2002 4:04:48 PM EDT
[#25]

Here is my Battle Grade from Orion 7...

It is a May 1945 Springfield.

Cheers,
Chris

Link Posted: 1/22/2002 5:57:02 PM EDT
[#26]
Holy crap! I did not mean for everyone to start whipping theirs out!

The receiver on this M1 is cast. But just like the receiver on my NM M1a, you really can't tell. I've run thousands of rounds through my M1a with no problems, so I bet I will not have any problems with this one. And if I have a problem with this weapon at all, I do have a lifetime warrantee.

Other than the receiver, everything (except the stock) is New USGI.

I put this M1 to the test today, I put it right next to a friend's 43 SA from CMP. Other than the finish, this M1 is a true rendition. And that is what started all of this, I did not want to buy a piece of junk.

By some of your guy's standards, we should not buy SA 1911's, colt 1991's, kimbers, M1a, or Colt sporters.... ease up guys!

As soon as I get some time I will do a field report.

Ron
Link Posted: 1/22/2002 6:15:39 PM EDT
[#27]
Oh man, are they whipping theirs out again?  I'm outta here.
Link Posted: 1/22/2002 6:16:43 PM EDT
[#28]

rendension

Did you just make up this word?
Link Posted: 1/22/2002 6:40:14 PM EDT
[#29]

Jim_Dandy... no kidding... not sure what that is supposed to mean. I is a guud spellr.

What does this spell check button do?
Link Posted: 1/22/2002 7:31:53 PM EDT
[#30]
FreeAmerican,

Do you have any photos of the receiver? I am very interested in how it looks.

As you probably know, the receivers recently made by Century and Lithgow have been kind of crappy. I would be really happy if the Springfield is of higher quality.

I would definitely buy one if the quality is there.

Cheers,
Chris
Link Posted: 1/22/2002 8:28:26 PM EDT
[#31]
I just gor one myself. Went cruising the gun shops in Phoenix, and came upon a BRAND NEW GARAND for $800. In my opinion a bargain, compared to at least $500 for a CMP Garand that you never know what condition you may get.
Link Posted: 1/22/2002 9:00:26 PM EDT
[#32]
I know some of you guys are going to jump all over me for these questions, but I'm going to ask them anyway:

1.) Is there someway to make these legal for hunting in a state with a 5 round limit?

2.) (Another hunting question) Can a scope be mounted on these like the springfield M1A?

Be gentile with me...
Link Posted: 1/22/2002 9:48:40 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
1.) Is there someway to make these legal for hunting in a state with a 5 round limit?

There are 2 and 5 round clips you could buy.  Don't know if that would satisfy the requirements of your particular state.

Quoted:
2.) (Another hunting question) Can a scope be mounted on these like the springfield M1A?

Yes, but unlike the M1A, the Garand scope mount will replace your rear sight and be relatively higher than that of the M1A-type mount.
Link Posted: 1/23/2002 4:38:46 AM EDT
[#34]

Be gentile with me...

Why? Are you circumcised, or something?
Link Posted: 1/23/2002 5:30:06 AM EDT
[#35]
I don't have any photos. I can say the receiver looks nothing like the Century or Lithgow's. They have the same look, finish and feel of the M1a's. I'll see what I can do about getting some pics...

Put it to you this way, I saw it, and I started to buy it that day, but I did not know if I was being fed a story by the shop.... It is nice enough I went right back and bought it....

Ron
Link Posted: 1/23/2002 5:44:44 AM EDT
[#36]
Your money, your choice. You made an informed decision. Enjoy your new rifle.
Link Posted: 1/23/2002 6:43:52 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
Your money, your choice. You made an informed decision. Enjoy your new rifle.

Seconded by B&G.............
Link Posted: 1/23/2002 8:53:25 AM EDT
[#38]
I lied.
I never intended to ask for my deposit back.
Link Posted: 1/23/2002 4:50:22 PM EDT
[#39]
To MARVL and anyone else that thinks Garands were not made in .308 by Uncle Sam. A friend of mine has one he bought in the early 60's. It's a rack grade in .308. He bought with it a can of LC62 ammo in the Garand clips and bandoleers.It's ball ammo, not match.

Link Posted: 1/23/2002 5:27:54 PM EDT
[#40]
Somewhat common knowledge among owners of M-1 rifles. None were from the factory in 7.62 NATO on U.S. Govt. contracts. Many were converted by U.S. Govt. arsenals for use by the U.S. Navy.
Link Posted: 1/23/2002 8:02:14 PM EDT
[#41]
The fact that it can and was converted to use .308 is immaterial.  If someone asks "what caliber is the M1 Garand?" how do you answer?  I answer .30-06 and let it go at that.  I could also point out that it could be converted to fire maybe a dozen different calibers, but I don't bother.

I know, I know, I'm being anal.  
Link Posted: 1/23/2002 8:07:28 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
The fact that it can and was converted to use .308 is immaterial.  If someone asks "what caliber is the M1 Garand?" how do you answer?  I answer .30-06 and let it go at that.  I could also point out that it could be converted to fire maybe a dozen different calibers, but I don't bother.

I know, I know, I'm being anal.  

How about caliber .30 M2. Now thats anal!
Link Posted: 1/24/2002 7:28:12 AM EDT
[#43]
Well it is nice temp wise here but it is raining... So I will have to wait one more day to shoot.

I think Springfield, or someone should build a copy of the Johnson rifle??  now that would be cool.
Link Posted: 1/24/2002 9:13:19 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
Well it is nice temp wise here but it is raining... So I will have to wait one more day to shoot.

I think Springfield, or someone should build a copy of the Johnson rifle??  now that would be cool.

fulton armory......30-06...308.....270.......................mil tech.....rehashed johnson rifles....
Link Posted: 1/24/2002 11:25:49 AM EDT
[#45]
Yep. I can here it now. "Hey honey, have we got any beer? Some of the guys are coming over tonight to look at my Johnson!"
Yessiree.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top