Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/6/2010 12:44:58 PM EDT
Dr_Speed needs a new shotgun under $800 will be a general purpose dove, waterfowl, turkey, and clay gun

looking at:
Benelli Supernova
Weatherby SA-08
Stoeger 2000

I'm open to other ideas too but wood or camo are the only stock options I'm considering and pump or semi is preferred what does ARFCOM think
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 12:47:25 PM EDT
[#1]
11-87?
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 1:12:23 PM EDT
[#2]
I don't really like them but try and sell me on them if you can
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 1:59:20 PM EDT
[#3]
I've tried to do that a few times and came up with a shotgun that does most everything "kinda okay" and isn't super at any. Of your choices I'd probably go Nova. A nice wingshooting gun isn't what I prefer to shoot heavy steel out of at ducks and geese and a shotgun built for that purpose usually isn't the smoothest swinging gun. All a compromise.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 2:21:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Nova
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 8:09:16 PM EDT
[#5]
What about a used browning a5 and it'll mainly be clay and dove but would like to be able to use it for waterfowl and turkey or even upland if and when I have the chance to hunt them.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 9:08:48 AM EDT
[#6]
A visit to the Stoeger Forums was enough to make me look elsewhere.

I ended up with a Winchester Super X2 that I am very happy with.  Its successor, the Super X3, might interest you.

The SX2 and SX3 are very similar, the biggest difference being reduced weight with the SX3.  It's a gas operated action that is also used in the Browning Gold, Browning Maxus, Browing Silver, and FN SLP.  Soft shooters and very fast cycling.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 10:57:01 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 2:08:46 PM EDT
[#8]
M2 Tacticle sorry didn't read full post.870 or a5
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 2:58:45 PM EDT
[#9]
I love my 1187 Sportsman.  I actually own 2 (one is now tacti-cool).  The new ones are great.  They have chrome lined gas systems and cycle like a dream.  They have nice raised vent ribs and slim receivers, so rapidly acquiring a sight picture is a snap.

They are rugged.  Parts, accessories, extra barrels, and chokes are all easily found and inexpensive.

Only small downside is that they will not cycle light target loads.  Anything less than 1oz, 3 dram equivalent, and you will have stoppages.  This is not a problem, however, since even Walmart value packs are 1 oz 3 dram.  You wouldn't want to hunt with that light a load anyway.

They run about $650.

- AG

ETA:  I've heard horror stories about the Stoegers, and the SA-08 is a cheap Turkish import.  If you didn't want an 1187, I'd look at a Beretta 3901.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 4:15:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Supernova w/ recoil reducing stock FTW!!!
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 7:26:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Will mainly run 2 3/4 and 3 in hunting loads but wouldn't mind being able to put in 3 1/2 in loads

and does the 11-87 run 2 3/4 reliably also has anyone had any use of baikal 153 aka remington spartan

My brother has an 870 wingmaster I like it just want to not go so along the lines of everyone else
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top