Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 6/22/2016 3:54:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/23/2016 12:25:39 PM EDT by 1srelluc]
I found this New Model 1863 Sharps Carbine .50-70 Conversion today for $400.00

It's a early Sharps conversion using the original 6-groove .52 barrel (later Springfield conversions used a 3-groove .50 liner) so I don't expect much in the accuracy department though the bore is quite good.

It was a CW era Carbine (serial 78703) and has the period inspector's marks on the side of the barrel.

Link Posted: 6/22/2016 5:01:38 PM EDT
$400 ? That's real nice for that price. Try casting really soft bullets and use black powder to give it a good bump up into the rifling. You might get lucky and be surprised.
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 10:05:54 PM EDT
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Green_Canoe:
$400 ? That's real nice for that price. Try casting really soft bullets and use black powder to give it a good bump up into the rifling. You might get lucky and be surprised.
View Quote

I bet you could get a mold made that would give you basically a hollow base Minnie Ball type bullet..........
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 7:03:28 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Casper507:

I bet you could get a mold made that would give you basically a hollow base Minnie Ball type bullet..........
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Casper507:

Originally Posted By Green_Canoe:

I read of a mold that casts basically a heel type bullet that is supposed to work OK in the early conversions.
Link Posted: 6/24/2016 9:04:10 PM EDT
That is excellent for the price! Heck...twice the price or more!

Rob
Top Top