Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » 50 Cal
Posted: 1/3/2012 3:01:03 PM EDT
I think I got a good deal on a used M99 here in Jacksonville. Non fluted barrel, 2 gill brake...I'm guessing this is the older style. I've read some posts about changing the brake and to be cautious of light strikes and general FTF. Before I get on the phone to Barrett and talk to Vicki as everyone suggests is there anything else anyone can educate me on?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 7:41:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Congrats!  You'll like your M99. I have an earlier one with the old style brake. I'm satisfied with it but haven't shot one with the new brake. In many rounds I've never had a failure to fire but I hand load and  I'm really careful seating and inspecting the seated primer. But as with any rifle if you have a failure to fire keep the rifle pointed down range for at least 30 seconds to a minute in case of a hang fire. Plus when opening the bolt with a dud mis-fire keep ALL fingers and thumbs forward of the bolt handle and not your thumb under and around the bolt handle. If it were to go off when opening the bolt with your fingers and thumb in front of the bolt handle it won't do major damage to your hand. Not trying to scare but just a safety tip with any bolt action and especially with the 50 bmg. I haven't heard of any M99's with an issue of misfires with any good ammo. Don't know if your rifle qualifies but early editions of the M99 had firing pin, bolt, and trigger upgrades available. Mine has these upgrades and the trigger is much much better. I didn't have any issues with the firing pin or bolt but my rifle has it and no problems with the new firing pin upgrade either. If you're interested I'd ask Barrett about your rifle and if it qualifies for any free upgrades. I highly recommend Montana Extreme products for cleaning the barrel. I use their Bore Cleaner, Copper Killer, and bore conditioner. Works very good cleaning the big bore and long barrels.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 4:17:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I think I got a good deal on a used M99 here in Jacksonville. Non fluted barrel, 2 gill brake...I'm guessing this is the older style. I've read some posts about changing the brake and to be cautious of light strikes and general FTF. Before I get on the phone to Barrett and talk to Vicki as everyone suggests is there anything else anyone can educate me on?

Thanks!

You'll need to do the firing pin/spring swap at some point.  I had to switch mine out when I started to shoot military ammo as I was getting light primer strikes.  I didn't have any issues with my handloads, but the military ammo and hard primers were a no-go.  I also swapped out the brake with the newer style.  It wasn't needed, but did make a considerable difference in the recoil reduction.
Page Armory » 50 Cal
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top