Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/1/2011 12:08:33 PM EDT
well, i was doing the full breakdown of my new m39 last night.  when i removed the stock and handguards, i noticed the barrel was coated in what looked like dark axle grease?  It wasn't cosmoline, but heavy grease.  barrel is 100% blue and looks new.  Is this grease normal? Pics later today,

Thank you
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 12:17:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Normal for M39s.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 3:22:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Normal for Finnish rifles.  It is to prevent rust underneath the handguards.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 5:21:52 PM EDT
[#3]
so should i remove it and replace with lubriplate or something? or just remove and wipe down with break free?
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 5:28:35 PM EDT
[#4]
I would just remove it and keep it clean/dry. It should be fine. If you're worried about it, or keep it in a very humid environment, you could keep a light coat on it.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 7:58:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I would just remove it and keep it clean/dry. It should be fine. If you're worried about it, or keep it in a very humid environment, you could keep a light coat on it.

This, unless, ofcourse you are about to take it to the woods daily in any weather. Remember that those rifles were made for war and then later used by conscripts. The users were not take of the wood from the rifle, hence the arsenal greace.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 10:50:14 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 12:57:50 PM EDT
[#7]
too late!  
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 3:41:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Did you find any pine needles in there?  Several of us have found them in Finnish rifles.  Love my M39's.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 4:31:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Just leave it. It's worked for 70 years as is.

It worked for 70 years.... in storage...

Once you put 400 rounds downrange in one sitting on a hot afternoon that grease will liquify and make a horrendous mess.

Strip it and oil it liberally with CLP or something similiar. Done...

Link Posted: 5/2/2011 5:38:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Just leave it. It's worked for 70 years as is.

It worked for 70 years.... in storage...

Once you put 400 rounds downrange in one sitting on a hot afternoon that grease will liquify and make a horrendous mess.

Strip it and oil it liberally with CLP or something similiar. Done...

No it won't.  It does not melt like the waxy cosmoine, but if it is not what I am taking about and cosmoline or a storage grease it probably will however.  On some Finnish M91's the handguards are not meant to be easily removed (and therefore the action as well), they used a black grease to preserve the metal stuck underneath the wood.  They used this stuff on other rifle types too.  Either way, removing it won't remove hardly any of its collector's value and you can then oil it like you would any other blued surface and be GTG.  I have kept it on a few of my rifles and removed it from the ones I shoot and disassemble often because it can be messy and annoying when you take the rifle apart if it is left on.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 5:53:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Yep. it was the thick black stuff.  It came right off with some clp powder blast.  I rubbed tons of CLP break free on it and put her back together.  my barrel has very faint "ribbed" concentric circles the length of the barrel.  Really pretty barrel and receiver.  looks new.  will try to get pics when i get some time

thanks for the input
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top