Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/27/2009 2:19:26 PM EDT
I'd like to use a Harris bipod with my M1A and was wondering about doing this.  
I'm not sure I want to drill out the rivets for the sling bracket that's currently attached.
Or drill a hole in the walnut stock for the stud.
Maybe I should buy a used stock for these mods and keep my new stock nice.
Any suggestions?
Thanks,
D
Link Posted: 4/27/2009 3:30:03 PM EDT
[#1]
I have an M1A and I've considered this issue before.

Here's what I'm going to use. The adapter is a Versa pod picatinny rail piece.

I already have a versa pod that I can affix to the rail. I'm sure that Harris makes a bipod that will fit up also.
http://www.versapod.com/proddetail.asp?prod=150%2D807

Link Posted: 4/27/2009 4:03:48 PM EDT
[#2]
The Bobro Bipod and Mount

I have the Bobro bipod.  They will include an M-14 mount identical (or very similar) to the one shown above for no additional cost.  They also included a more universal mount in the package.  The Bobro is pricey but I like it much better than the Harris I have on another rifle.  A couple of nice features of this type of mount is that they don't block off the gas hole in the stock and they allow the use of the .mil sling.  This mount is pretty easy to attach as it uses existing holes after you drill out the standard rivets.

I bought the lug that Harris recommends for the M-14 and chose to not go that way as it just didn't seem like there was enough of the stock thickness left after you inlet the lug.

I also considered getting a second stock to hack up but with the Bobro mount it isn't a hack job at all so I used my good walnut stock.
Link Posted: 4/27/2009 4:29:28 PM EDT
[#3]
i just sent to the stock to springfield and they put the studs in for i think $10
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 10:43:31 PM EDT
[#4]
I drilled mine out and installed a rail from Fulton Armory and then picked up a YHM Mount and put my harris on and it is rock solid
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 1:18:16 PM EDT
[#5]
So you spent about $15.00 to ship the stock so they could put 2 studs in for $10.00?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top