Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/27/2003 10:11:16 AM EDT
Here is some info from a good friend of mine that has started producing a custom cheek rest for the M1A / M14 rifles:

Features:

* Hand Crafted of Leather
   * All sewing is double stitched and knotted
   * Additional skirt on underside protects stocks from being scratched by the grommets
   * Standard height is approximately 1.75"
   * Other heights available
   * Colors: Light Saddle Tan, Mahogany, Black

About 2 years ago I attended Precision Rifle I at Thunder Ranch. Being the poor boy that I am, I took the best rifle that I had vs. buying a dedicated sniping (oh sorry, "precision") platform. This was a loaded M1A that has been bedded and unitized, has the NM barrel, trigger, flash suppressor, front sight. I did save my pennies and cry once in getting the Leupold M3 3.5x10x40 for glass. Having already wasted my money on the aluminum scope mount (the one that you are supposed to beat into place with a hammer) I got the SWAN/ARMS/Brookfield reproduction/imitation mount. Now only one problem. How does one get their eye socket to line up with the scope? The second day of the course we did a tower drill - run up the stairs, find your numbered placard on the board across the street - single load a round and shoot your placard. Out of 20 rounds I scored 4 hits. This cinched the issue. There is no such thing as a "Chin" weld. My group had been 2 MOA both days - just not what the match ammo and rifle should be doing. I may not be a Marine Corps sniper, but I have had enough training to be way beyond 2 MOA. Finally, one of the instructors takes me aside and we create a cheekrest. Another student had an old USGI sleeping pad that provided chunks of foam. White athletic tape bound it in place. Four layers finally did the trick. Viola! 3/4 MOA or less for the rest of the course! Now I have this horrid looking pile of green and white stuff on my stock. The quest begins for a reliable replacement. I find the Springfield Armory adjustable stock. JUST $450! McMillan has great stuff, but at not so affordable prices for this guy. Finally, sick of the mess on my rifle, I figured I would build my own imitation of the Springfield stock. After the second set of pin holes had wandered all over the bar, I threw in the towel on that one. I decided to try the approach suggested by a friend. After many, many cut, stitch, measure, fit, take out the stitching, re-stitch, etc. hours, I developed the cheekrest posted above. It is softer than a chunk of wood/fiberglass, and therefore more comfortable. It is stiff enough to keep your eye aligned with the scope tube. By changing the length of the hump piece, I can adjust the height to your specific mount/scope height. The lace-up system requires some focused attention to get on, but once you lace it up tight, it stays put. I find that this is better/tighter/quieter than the RRRRRIIIIIIIIPPPPPPPP!!!!! of velcro. If you don't like it, send it back for repair/adjustment/replacement. If I can't make you happy, I will give you a full refund.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2954082103&category=3204

My buddy is looking for some feed back, what do you guys think?
Link Posted: 9/27/2003 9:59:09 PM EDT
[#1]
 The leather work is VERY beautiful, the brasswork and stitching are also great....the only suggestion that I could have is purely aesthetic and concerned the profile of the cheekpiece.  Were that profile more streamlined the piece would be aestheticly perfect.....as it is it looks functional as hell...and that is really the only thing that matters.
Link Posted: 9/28/2003 12:51:14 AM EDT
[#2]
Ditto everything Desertmoon said.

You might think about using smaller dia grommets and add 2 more per side.

Looks good!
Link Posted: 9/28/2003 5:37:49 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the feed back guys, I will forward this to my buddy and post any reply that he has.

Link Posted: 9/28/2003 12:53:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/28/2003 5:34:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Gents, thanks for the feed back.  The more the merrier, my buddy "Dan" has custom built these for a couple guys.  Submariner has ordered a couple and Dan is customizing one of those for Submariner.

I forwarded this info to Dan and this was the response that he had to your feed back:

"I appreciate the comment about making it streamlined - it does just kinda stick up there - I haven't a clue about how I could work the leather to get a "ramp" effect on each end - I will have to chew on that one for a while - I was going solely for form=function, but this I think is at least a fair topic for consideration - on the other hand, other than maybe catching a bit on tree branches, I'm not sure it would cause a problem - like I said, will chew on it

Hadn't thought of additional grommets - it stays put as it is now, but more grommets should make it possible to tighten it down even more effectively - I may just use this idea on the next ones - thanks for the input! Appreciate the comments on the leather work - I work very hard to make it bomb-proof"

I really appriciate all the feedback and so does Dan...I'm not a M1A guy so I couldn't give him much help...

Feel free to give your input Dan is still open to more feed back / input.

Thanks

Link Posted: 10/4/2003 10:37:36 PM EDT
[#6]
 I also agree with noname on upping the number of grommets...though if the present number does work and is secure....we are back to aesthetics...still....tell your buddy...it's a thumbs up so far.
Link Posted: 10/5/2003 7:34:07 AM EDT
[#7]
Another response from Dan:

"Tell Desertmoon that I appreciate the input - function is the number #1, but it doesn't have to be ugly as long as it works - next batch I will add some more grommets"

Thanks again and feel free to add any info you feel would be productive.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top