Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/1/2006 10:58:56 PM EDT

Spc. Hans Rvehr, a sniper from the 172nd Stryker Brigade Combat Team, searches for insurgents in Mosul, Iraq. This photo appeared on www.army.mil. March 1, 2006 by Spc. Clydell Kinchen

HUGE HI RES

Link Posted: 3/1/2006 11:01:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Me likes

ETA ----- Can't we get those guys some decent cheek rests?   The Blackhawk ones are pretty good and are cheap.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 11:14:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for posting Lumpy.

Link Posted: 3/1/2006 11:20:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Cool pic Lumpy
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 3:35:22 AM EDT
[#4]
Got it!  Thanks, Lumpy196!
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 4:46:38 AM EDT
[#5]
Yep, and rings look a tad high, too.  Mounted on the stripper clip guide, no less! Let's see; for what his unit (or God forbid the soldier himself) paid for that overpriced RAS and, he/they could have gotten:

1. an excellent cheekpiece
2. an appropriate side mount  
3. some low 30mm rings
4. new MIL STD 1913 TriRail

...as a minimum.  

And I'm sure there's even change leftover for the snack bar.  This truly a tragic statement in terms of force modernization.  The M14 still has legs -- legs that are only now being appreciated by some enlightened folks in uniform.  It's unfortunate however, that unit leaders can't either see that demonstrated potential or that they are hamstrung by their own chain-of-command.  There is also a cabal at DCD Benning and Picatinny that will do anything to bury this weapon.  

Link Posted: 3/2/2006 9:23:29 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 9:26:08 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Looks like the RAS is a tad higher than the stripper clip area canting the scope up.  I'm sure it works just fine towards it's intended purpose.

Well, I'm sure the RAS performs as advertised -- that's not my point.  In any event, see how well it is employed above.  Uh, no?  In this case, I'm speaking to appropriate ring height, mounting and the overall package relative to dollars expended.  In fact, just what did the 25ID(L) get for their RAS-equipped M14s?  The 0.50" Med. NSN 1005-01-535-4423 rings, that's what.  They wisely did not get tall rings, as depicted above.  The rings were also mounted on issue NSN 5.0" side mounts. As I said, money can be better spent (assuming Commanders, S-4's and S-3's have a clue!). In the case above, the photo speaks volumes.  

Let me put this in perspective: You have X amount of dollars to spend.  What are your priorities?  Sadly, in the case of most units -- they are ill-stated or just plain confused, as likely evidenced above.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 9:36:19 AM EDT
[#8]
Yep, the RAS is nice and perfect for an EOTech, Aimpoint or Scout scope mounted out in front of the receiver...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top