Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/12/2010 12:17:23 PM EDT
I just got my new Hornady LNL setup and I am not sure if I have an issue with the powder measure or not.  When I drop powder I have the rotor activating the entire way to the top of the rotation, but when the rotor comes back down it doesn't rotate to the bottom of the powder measure.  I am able to push the rotor down just a little further.  I don't know if that small amount of movement will affect the amount of powder dropped or not.  I wasn't able to measure a difference with Bullseye, but I just want to be sure.

Does anyone have a tip on tuning the powder drop to adjust the downward movement?  I would prefer a full range of motion just to be 100% sure I have this setup correctly.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 12:33:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Loosen the clamp on the powder measure(the top one) and move the powder measure up about as much as you think it needs to go for it to come all the way back down by it's self, once you get that part set and back tight then loosen the bottom die lock ring and readjust the powder measure in the LnL bushing to where the rotor moves all the way up(but doesn't bind at all) with a case in the shell plate. Now when you go to charge a case there should be enough room for the PM rotor to freely move all the way back down.

This has to be done for rifle and pistol each time if you want it perfect and is why most of us have a complete separate powder case activated drop linkage kit for each, one setup for pistol and the other setup for rifle, this way all you have to do is swap the powder measure from to the other real quick and your ready to go.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 12:45:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks, I'll give that a shot.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 3:08:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Check your linkage for any binding.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 4:20:19 PM EDT
[#4]
I had to have them send me a new powder measure due to a bad casting.  The rotor didn't quite rotate easily enough. I called them and they promptly sent me a new one with a new rotor.  The cool thing is that I took the old one and reamed it out enough to make it work properly.  I now have 2 powder measures, 3 rotors and 2 rifle and 2 pistol stems.

At any rate, check to see if the rotor is binding or showing wear in any one spot.  Probably just a tight fit.  I used a drimell tool and the sanding drum to ream it out a bit.  Mine was really really tight to.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 5:31:17 PM EDT
[#5]
That took care of it and now my powder dispenser has a full range of motion.  I double checked the manual and it didn't seem to spell out the adjustments, but it's fixed all the same.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 5:33:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Make sure you clean and degrease it very well, or it'll drive you nuts. Are you loading rifle or pistol with it?
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 8:16:43 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Make sure you clean and degrease it very well, or it'll drive you nuts. Are you loading rifle or pistol with it?

I'm loading pistol at the moment while I get the hang of moving from the Lee Classic Turret to a full progressive.  I broke it down and cleaned it per the Hornady 12 part YouTube series.  The one issue I do need to resolve is the Bullseye powder sticking to some of the cast parts, but I think a couple of dryer sheets may fix that.  

Overall I am impressed at how smooth the movement is on this press.  My wallet is already starting to burn to get the case feeder.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 5:09:16 AM EDT
[#8]
Try the powder thru expander from www.powderfunnels.com. It's a great accessory.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top