Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » GSG-5
Posted: 7/3/2008 1:00:22 PM EDT
I haven't really shot rimfire since I was a kid.  I'm thinking about it again because of the prices of ammo.  My brother in law has a 10/22 that is pretty sweet and that's the only 22lr that I can compare anything to.  Is one going to be more reliable or accurate than the other?
Link Posted: 7/3/2008 1:03:14 PM EDT
[#1]
GSG for me hands down
Link Posted: 7/3/2008 1:39:23 PM EDT
[#2]
I found the GSG more reliable than the 10/22.

The 10/22 is more accurate with the stock sights. They are equal with optics.
Link Posted: 7/3/2008 2:06:04 PM EDT
[#3]
I think it depends on looks.  That 10/22 will probably never look like an MP5
Link Posted: 7/3/2008 2:06:54 PM EDT
[#4]
It's hit and miss, Ive had 10/22's that are out of the box reliable, and some that should have never left the factory. I recently went ahead and started a 10/22 SBR build, which, even after the tax stamp, gets you a nice solid, short  .22.  Now I dont own a GSG, and it looks like a solid gun, I guess Im saying you can go wrong either way.

Heres mine:

Link Posted: 7/3/2008 2:23:43 PM EDT
[#5]
        I have shot different 10/22's for years ,recently I have shot several mags through a couple of different GSG-5s that belong to other folks at my club.

There is a lot to be said for the GSG but the add on stuff is still coming along while you can get every do-dad you could ever imagine for the 10/22. If you want an as-is plinker for blasting tin cans and such the GSG is a great gun . If you want to tinker around and make a specific purpose gun the 10/22 has lots more flexibility going for it .

My real answer is "C" none of the above. If you presently own one or more AR's
you should first get on one of the waiting lists or pay the premium and get a Ceiner adapter. Not only is this thing a hoot but it really justifies any extra stuff for your AR.

Once again the answer to any of these "what should I get " threads is that you need to identify what type of shooting you intend to do . Results will vary!
Link Posted: 7/3/2008 7:24:09 PM EDT
[#6]
I had two 10/22s, sold one off and the other one had its trigger crap out and is back at the factory. The stock 10/22 sights were horrible and I got a set of Weaver sights with a longer sight radius and it improved repeatable and predictable accuracy by 100%.

My new GSG-5 looks like an MP-5, so gets extra points for sexy looks. I seem to get less misfires with the GSG-5, but the stock sights on this German import are BS too. They are both a piss to shoot, the ammo is cheap, but the GSG-5 has the looks for sure, but at twice the price.
Link Posted: 7/3/2008 7:39:13 PM EDT
[#7]
I definately like the looks of the GSG-5 much better, but I've seen all the 10/22 accessories for years and new stuff comes out every day.  

What's the deal with the "silencer" looking barrel shroud.  Does the barrel go all the way to the end of what looks like the silencer?  I bet the GSG-5 is a hoot to shoot.  I hope to see one in the stores someday so I can hold one.

FOXONE-AZ,
   Just so you know, you have the coolest 10/22 I've ever seen.

Link Posted: 7/4/2008 2:19:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Different applications for me... You need one of each.
Link Posted: 7/4/2008 2:40:35 PM EDT
[#9]
i would agree. one of each would do the trick. each rifle has it's own charm.
Link Posted: 7/5/2008 3:22:16 PM EDT
[#10]
If you own an AR, get a dedicated .22 upper. You'll be happier.
Link Posted: 7/5/2008 3:39:40 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Why?

I own MANY AR's, 10/22s and 22 conversions and still picked up a GSG-5

I am very happy with the GSG.
Link Posted: 7/6/2008 6:28:05 AM EDT
[#12]
I have 5 ARs, but still own a pre-ban 10/22 with a retractable stock and a new GSG-5, so "one of each" of these 22-cals works for me too. With the price of ammo now totally insane (even 22-cal), I am shooting the 22-cal more frequently. My only complaints with the GSG-5 are that the original sights are almost worthless and that the buttstock seems very fragile and cheesy (seems like it might break the first time you knock it into something hard), especially at the elevated asking price.
Link Posted: 7/6/2008 12:11:14 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Why?

I own MANY AR's, 10/22s and 22 conversions and still picked up a GSG-5

I am very happy with the GSG.

If you are happy, thats all that matters. I bought a GSG when they first arrived. It's reliable so far. It's a PITA to break down. Stocks are cheap. Screws are cheap. Sights suck. GSG up grade parts are Airsoft. And for all this, it sells for $500. It's a toy that was made to shoot .22 rimfire. Only reason I'm keeping mine is to see if the value goes up. I'd sell it in a heartbeat if the price was right.
Link Posted: 7/9/2008 6:32:19 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I definately like the looks of the GSG-5 much better, but I've seen all the 10/22 accessories for years and new stuff comes out every day.  

What's the deal with the "silencer" looking barrel shroud.  Does the barrel go all the way to the end of what looks like the silencer?  I bet the GSG-5 is a hoot to shoot.  I hope to see one in the stores someday so I can hold one.

FOXONE-AZ,
   Just so you know, you have the coolest 10/22 I've ever seen.

Thanks, still waiting for ATF paperwork, thats a photoshop job for the barrel. Ive added a bottomrail and stubby vert grip, it needed it.
Link Posted: 7/10/2008 9:42:50 AM EDT
[#15]
Using the same ammo, from the same box, I got at least one jam/FTE on each mag in my Ruger 10/22 Charger (with TI mags). I think we got about 3-4 FTE total on my GSG-5 and we ended up shooting it more anyways because it was more fun.
Link Posted: 7/10/2008 12:03:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Iv been trying to figure out if I wanted to spend the money and get the GSG or get something else for that price, so i just went a head and bought a GSG5 this morning and i love the thing now im just ready to go out and shoot
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 12:17:40 PM EDT
[#17]
The part that gets me about the gsg-5 is that you can get two 10-22's and a ammo for the price of one gsg-5.  Cool looking guns are nice, but there's something to be said for being halfway practical too.  I saw a used gsg-5 with only a few hundred rounds through it go for $400 on gunbroker.  About $400 is the most I can see spending on a 22.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 3:05:07 AM EDT
[#18]
I personally love the GSG, for what it is! My 10/22 was collecting dust until i decided to convert it to a 17M2. Now it feels a little better. As far as the ceiner kits for the AR, i've heard not so good things about them. I would go with a dedicated upper from Spikes or another comapny before i went with a sleaved product. JM$.02

rich
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 4:39:51 AM EDT
[#19]
Yeah and those dedicated Spikes 22-cal uppers are going for some really big bucks. Might as well just spend the $500 and get a GSG-5.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 4:46:31 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
It's hit and miss, Ive had 10/22's that are out of the box reliable, and some that should have never left the factory. I recently went ahead and started a 10/22 SBR build, which, even after the tax stamp, gets you a nice solid, short  .22.  Now I dont own a GSG, and it looks like a solid gun, I guess Im saying you can go wrong either way.

Heres mine:

members.cox.net/mikess/sbr-digi.jpg

Dude, that is one nice build right there!
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 6:09:36 AM EDT
[#21]

They are no doubt a slick looking .22
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 1:48:36 PM EDT
[#22]
Verrrry cool Shadowcop!  

Love the stock.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 12:27:02 AM EDT
[#23]
Of those two choices I'd say...Dedicated AR15 upper.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 8:08:54 AM EDT
[#24]
I have 2 ar-15s, 2 10/22's, and 2 GSG-5's.  I like them all.  
If I was only going to have 1 .22 it would be the GSG-5.  
The order I got them?  AR, then 10/22 then GSG-5, but the
GSG-5 came out after I had the others.  I bought the $70
tactical inc mags for the 10/22's, until I got those the 10/22's
would have failures more than they should.  I'd say for half
the price the mags for the GSG-5 being reliable is a good
reason alone.  And they're factory mags too!  Spend the
money on the GSG-5, you'll be happy.  I haven't taken the
10/22's out of my safe in 3 months now.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 8:37:50 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Heres mine:

members.cox.net/mikess/sbr-digi.jpg

Nice paint job.  I use my 10/22s as test guns for different patterns but you have inspired me to get my hacksaw out!

Link Posted: 7/21/2008 3:05:22 PM EDT
[#26]
the only correct answer (especially when you consider how inexpensive the 10/22 is) is you need both.  and since i have both, guess i need to look into an AR in .22lr now.  ;)
Page Armory » GSG-5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top