Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/13/2003 6:36:05 PM EDT
Just recieved her today from Mitchell's Mausers for $295 + $12 shipping.  The M48 is a 98K variant built by free Serbs on German tooling after they drove the Nazis out of Yugoslavia.  Being built by free men instead of forced laborers, these rifles are considered to be of better workmanship and material quality than many German-made Mausers.

It came with all the original accessories, as it would have been issued to a soldier, including the gorgeous bayonet.

She is truly beautiful!

You can read about the historical M48 here:
www.mitchellsales.com/reviews/PR26+OF12%20495.pdf
Link Posted: 11/13/2003 10:35:21 PM EDT
[#1]
They are nice guns, and I hate to Rain on your parade, but here goes.....

CDNN investments has these same rifles for much Less. Mitchell's had a distributor "Go Under" and CDNN Bought their stock.

CDNN is selling the Mitchell's Mausers...Come in a Mitchell's Box With all accessories and everything.

The Mitchell's Collector grade rifle sells for $295, Cdnn is selling the Rifle for $149

The Premium Grade is sold by Mitchell's for $495, CDNN Is selling the Premium Grade for $199.

I opted for the premium Grade from CDNN. Got her yesterday. Rifle looks perfect and Bayonet is also spotless. The Ammo pouch, Bayo frog and sling are Brand New Looking. Even Came with an offer in the box for Half Price "Mitchell Ammunition".

I don't know about "FREE MEN" either. Isn't the stamp on the top of the reciever one of a COMMUNIST?
Link Posted: 11/14/2003 2:53:44 AM EDT
[#2]

CDNN investments has these same rifles for much Less. Mitchell's had a distributor "Go Under" and CDNN Bought their stock.

CDNN is selling the Mitchell's Mausers...Come in a Mitchell's Box With all accessories and everything.

The Mitchell's Collector grade rifle sells for $295, Cdnn is selling the Rifle for $149

The Premium Grade is sold by Mitchell's for $495, CDNN Is selling the Premium Grade for $199.

Yep. Should've shopped around a little more. There they are on page 27. lib1.store.vip.sc5.yahoo.com/lib/cdnn/CDNN2003-4.pdf
Link Posted: 11/14/2003 2:58:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 11/14/2003 4:20:23 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

I opted for the premium Grade from CDNN. Got her yesterday. Rifle looks perfect and Bayonet is also spotless. The Ammo pouch, Bayo frog and sling are Brand New Looking. Even Came with an offer in the box for Half Price "Mitchell Ammunition".

I don't know about "FREE MEN" either. Isn't the stamp on the top of the reciever one of a COMMUNIST?

Well, fuck me running.

Mitchell's - 1
chuckhammer - 0

I believe they made these rifles while the war was still ongoing......before Tito came to power.  I could be wrong, similar to how I bought this rifle from the wrong people.  Shit.
Link Posted: 11/14/2003 10:35:41 AM EDT
[#5]
I am pretty sure they made those rifles after the war was Over. From the late 40's to the early 60's. There is a stamping on the left side of the reciever with a bunch of letters and the numerals 44.... I have been told that this was the year their communist Govt. took control again?!?!? Not sure. You could be right though.

Chuck, I have a friend who purchased on from Mitchell's a few months back. It is one of the best shooting rifles I have ever seen.....ever (He use to shoot a lot of match stuff back in the 60'S).I started handloading bullets for him and the bug bit me.  I had decided on getting one from Mitchell's  myself when I got the CDNN flyer in the mail.

If your gun shoots half as good as His, you still got your money's worth in my Opinion.

Link Posted: 11/14/2003 12:40:13 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I am pretty sure they made those rifles after the war was Over. From the late 40's to the early 60's. There is a stamping on the left side of the reciever with a bunch of letters and the numerals 44.... I have been told that this was the year their communist Govt. took control again?!?!? Not sure. You could be right though.

Chuck, I have a friend who purchased on from Mitchell's a few months back. It is one of the best shooting rifles I have ever seen.....ever (He use to shoot a lot of match stuff back in the 60'S).I started handloading bullets for him and the bug bit me.  I had decided on getting one from Mitchell's  myself when I got the CDNN flyer in the mail.

If your gun shoots half as good as His, you still got your money's worth in my Opinion.

The bore does look flawless (actually, all the steel is flawless), so I hope you're right and it shoots well.

I normally research any purchase over $50 so this sort of thing doesn't happen.  I figured with this M48 (unlike a Glock or SIG, etc.) that Mitchell's would be the only game in town.

Oops.
Link Posted: 11/14/2003 1:52:26 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Just recieved her today from Mitchell's Mausers for $295 + $12 shipping.  The M48 is a 98K variant built by free Serbs on German tooling after they drove the Nazis out of Yugoslavia.  Being built by free men instead of forced laborers, these rifles are considered to be of better workmanship and material quality than many German-made Mausers.

It came with all the original accessories, as it would have been issued to a soldier, including the gorgeous bayonet.

She is truly beautiful!

You can read about the historical M48 here:
www.mitchellsales.com/reviews/PR26+OF12%20495.pdf

nice!

i have a m48 and it rocks!
Link Posted: 11/14/2003 2:56:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks!

I can't wait to shoot her!
Link Posted: 11/15/2003 6:17:02 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well, fuck me running.

Mitchell's - 1
chuckhammer - 0

I believe they made these rifles while the war was still ongoing......before Tito came to power.  I could be wrong, similar to how I bought this rifle from the wrong people.  Shit.

Chuckhammer, don't feel too bad, they got me also a couple of years ago. I shelled out the $$ for the premium model, when it arrived it had a bbl stamp of 1983. [:\]
Link Posted: 11/15/2003 10:24:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Forget Mitchells.  Got my M48 in unissued condition a year or so ago from www.aimsurplus.com.  They should be the FIRST place you look when you want to buy a surplus rifle.
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 7:05:57 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
There is a stamping on the left side of the reciever with a bunch of letters and the numerals 44....

Preduce 44 is the plant where they were made. the letters are in Cyrillic so may seem funny.

Here's a link to the alphabet for comparision.
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 2:12:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Mitchels is nothing but a scam.  Buy an M48 in the same condition for less and you have the same rifle.
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 6:54:09 AM EDT
[#13]
It was my understanding that the Yugo's M44's are wartime. And the M44A's are deffinently post war. I have two of the M44A's. Paid about $200 ea for them a year or two ago. I do believe thats how it goes, WarDawg
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 3:58:47 AM EDT
[#14]
I bought an M-48 when they first became available, at a good price.

It was covered in cosmoline, but a hour or so  with mineral spirits and it was clean.  The bore was perfect;  actually unfired.  The rifle was born in that same year as me, 1948.

Took it to the range and it shot great.  I've put a lot of rounds through it since and it still shoots great.  Kicks like a mule, but shoots great.

Don't worry about paying a few dollars too much.  Years from now you will still be enjoying shooting it, long after you forgot what you paid for it.
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 11:55:08 PM EDT
[#15]
I bought two "unissued" M48's from WGA 3 years ago for $169 each. Mitchells was asking over $300 back then. Same rifle. Matching numbers, all the accessories, etc, but for $130 cheaper.

Now I'm looking at those Russian Capture K98s, which I hear are actually of higher quality than the M48, but not as pretty, of course.
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 5:47:25 AM EDT
[#16]
The RC Mausers are way over priced for all the work you will need to do to get it back into origional configuration.

The M-48 has higher quality steel.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top