Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/31/2002 7:54:54 AM EDT
I got my brand new bushy M4 home yesterday and noticed something felt loose. I inspected it and found that their is a little playbetween the upper and lower around the front take-down pin. Is there any way to fix tthis. I know the diff. in accuracy will be minimal at shorter ranges but I want my gun to have a more "solid" feel.
Link Posted: 7/31/2002 8:24:45 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/31/2002 8:26:45 AM EDT
[#2]
What are those? Where do i get them? How much are they?
Link Posted: 7/31/2002 8:40:17 AM EDT
[#3]
It's called an accu-wedge, something like that. It tightens the fit between the upper and lower receiver. I too bought a New Bushmaster recently, it was the DCM Comp. It was loose as well. I sent it back to them, a few weeks later it was acceptably tight. If it's new and I'd send it back, have them fix it. Don't use the wedge to fix something that should not be loose as a goose from the factory.  :)
Link Posted: 7/31/2002 10:13:30 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/31/2002 10:21:43 AM EDT
[#5]
How loose is acceptably loose? I have a month old bushy and it has a small amount of play between the upper and lower but there seemed to be no problem at the range. Could it worsen( is that a word) over time?
Link Posted: 7/31/2002 12:31:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Some fit tight, some fit loose.  Use one of them Accu Wedges if you would like.  I myself do not mind a little slop between my uppers and lowers.
Link Posted: 7/31/2002 12:38:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Acuwedge works great...it can work too good and you will have a hard time pushing out your take-down pin.  Good luck...its the only thing out there that works.
Link Posted: 7/31/2002 3:38:37 PM EDT
[#8]
IMHO, i think this is a scam... my m16 in basic was shakin, rattlin and rollin and I still shot expert. My colt has some play, my BM has some play...

again, IMHO, i think that hitting a man shaped target at 300m is more importaint than 1/4in hole at 100yds....

but to each his/her own...
Link Posted: 7/31/2002 3:43:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 7/31/2002 5:58:13 PM EDT
[#10]
shoulda bought an ArmaLite
Link Posted: 7/31/2002 6:32:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Even with the Accuwedge you will probably still have looseness at the front. One of my DPMS rifles is that way. I got some of those sticky mylar things that go around punched holes in paper that goes into ring binders to keep them from tearing out. the hole is .25" and I just trimmed it so it would fit on the inside of one of the "ears" for the front pin. One piece shimmed it nicely and now it's nice and tight. Avery Label calls them "gummed reinforcements".
Link Posted: 7/31/2002 6:54:11 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
IMHO, i think this is a scam... my m16 in basic was shakin, rattlin and rollin and I still shot expert. My colt has some play, my BM has some play...

again, IMHO, i think that hitting a man shaped target at 300m is more importaint than 1/4in hole at 100yds....

NO, its not a scam. It's true (in theory) that the rifle should be accurate either way.

HOWEVER, The accuwedge WILL prolong the life of the weapon. Here is why. If you start-out with a rattly rifle, the shock from firing it WILL BE MAGNIFIED between the upper and lower. A loose fit between the upper and lower will be worsened due to tolerances becoming way out of spec.

If you have a rock-solid fit (or accuwedged) the shock is dispersed evenly because there is no slop to make the shock worse.

Accuwedge...nothing to with accuracy, a lot to do with longevity.
Link Posted: 7/31/2002 9:10:25 PM EDT
[#13]
click here and scroll down.
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 10:06:38 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

NO, its not a scam. It's true (in theory) that the rifle should be accurate either way.

HOWEVER, The accuwedge WILL prolong the life of the weapon. Here is why. If you start-out with a rattly rifle, the shock from firing it WILL BE MAGNIFIED between the upper and lower. A loose fit between the upper and lower will be worsened due to tolerances becoming way out of spec.

If you have a rock-solid fit (or accuwedged) the shock is dispersed evenly because there is no slop to make the shock worse.

Accuwedge...nothing to with accuracy, a lot to do with longevity.

makes sense, i stand corrected of the longevity.

Link Posted: 8/5/2002 4:07:24 PM EDT
[#15]
What about the Expandable Tensioning Pin that I see Bushmaster has in their catalog? This thing costs $35 so i'm not even considering this just curious.
Link Posted: 8/5/2002 5:07:53 PM EDT
[#16]
The Tension pin thing is a great idea, but then I think you lose the ability to take your rifle apart without a hex-key.  And one guy mentioned that after several takedowns he had inadvertently scratched and messed up the pin hole, etc, etc.

If it really feels -not right- send it back and have the manufacturer fix it, as mentioned above, and after that get an Accu-Wedge.  It's cheap, tightens up your rear pin (you can use a bullet to push it out in the field) and won't hurt anything.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top