Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/13/2006 6:44:48 PM EDT
Now Iknow we should take all internet rumors with a laaaaarrrgeee grain of salt.

I read over at jouster, that the Korean gov is taking bids on 80,000 garands and 700,000 carbines. They are claiming roughly 6000 of each as unissued rifles.

If the rumors are indeed true. We could have interesting times coming. Of course conditions of the guns will run the gambit of very good to boat anchor.

Oh pleeezzzzzeeeee let it be true and may the bank account be full if it is true.

I hope CMP gets some just because they are great to deal with.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 7:05:39 PM EDT
[#1]
I believe that the only rifles the CMP get are the ones that the US "loaned" to other countries. Anyone that bought or made Garands or carbines and is selling them will probably be selling to importers. I would think that the most likely source of rifles for the CMP would be South American countries.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 7:16:38 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Now Iknow we should take all internet rumors with a laaaaarrrgeee grain of salt.

I read over at jouster, that the Korean gov is taking bids on 80,000 garands and 700,000 carbines. They are claiming roughly 6000 of each as unissued rifles.

If the rumors are indeed true. We could have interesting times coming. Of course conditions of the guns will run the gambit of very good to boat anchor.

Oh pleeezzzzzeeeee let it be true and may the bank account be full if it is true.

They should keep them for thier civilians, they are gonna need them.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 8:01:34 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 8:11:44 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

They should keep them for thier civilians, they are gonna need them.

I think your right, they should  keep them, and stock up on ammo.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 8:55:55 AM EDT
[#5]
Hmmm, I wonder what an influx of $400-$500 CMP M-1 carbines would do to the value of USGI carbines that sold in recent months for $800 or more? . . . .

Man, I  hope this rumor is true. It would be great to see CMP offer carbines.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 9:10:31 AM EDT
[#6]
If the CMP gets them only the "powers at be" in the GCA will get them
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 12:07:57 PM EDT
[#7]
CMP has heard nothing about the rumor & said they wouldn't get any of them anyway.  They can only sell what the army gives them.  Since these won't come from the military, CMP won't get them.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 3:12:39 PM EDT
[#8]
So, pardon my ignorance but I think I just put two and two together and realized something . . .

I was out of guns for a while and just recently became interested in the C&R world. I'm aware that there are "import" M1 carbines like the Blue Sky guns. Were those routinely sold through distributers like M48 Mausers and K31 Swiss rifles are now? How many years ago was that? What did they sell for?

Am I to assume that if this Korean stash story pans out we'll see Garands and M1 Carbines sold through Century Arms, Samco Global and places like that?
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 4:05:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Gad, I just had a really nasty thought. The Century billboard import marks on a Garand. Ugghhh!
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 4:07:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 5:08:19 PM EDT
[#11]
I hope. It'd be nice to continue seeing $500 Garands to counter the price gouging elsewhere. Harry's Army and Navy was selling a CMP Greek-return M1 (had light beech wood and black park) for a whopping $900 and an M1 wearing USGI wood and park for $1200.

I want more M1s in the future and I hope I can afford them on a student's shoestring income.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 5:19:56 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
So, pardon my ignorance but I think I just put two and two together and realized something . . .

I was out of guns for a while and just recently became interested in the C&R world. I'm aware that there are "import" M1 carbines like the Blue Sky guns. Were those routinely sold through distributers like M48 Mausers and K31 Swiss rifles are now? YesHow many years ago was that? Been about ten years or soWhat did they sell for?Don't recall exactly, I want to say $200 plus range
Am I to assume that if this Korean stash story pans out we'll see Garands and M1 Carbines sold through Century Arms, Samco Global and places like that?

Yes, tho that's an awful lot of stuff.  Even at $100 a piece that's $70,000,000 worth of carbines.  Don't know of anybody in the gun business with that kind of scratch.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 6:12:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Well even though I started this thread, I plan to buy 500 rounds of assorted virgin ammo and sacrifice them to the gun gods just to try to make the rumor come true.

I suggest we all do this.

eta: They have started to post photos on jouster taken I beleive in 1998-99 of inventory being done. I did not know they stored m1's in barrels with racks and vaccum sealed them. Lord give me a can openner and 30 minutes I can steal the fast get away car.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 6:20:44 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

I was out of guns for a while and just recently became interested in the C&R world. I'm aware that there are "import" M1 carbines like the Blue Sky guns. Were those routinely sold through distributers like M48 Mausers and K31 Swiss rifles are now? How many years ago was that? What did they sell for?

i can't remember what the blue sky garands and carbines sold for but i think it was cheap, even back in the 80's/early 90's

however IIRC the blue sky guns were from Korea,,,,

so

they found more
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 7:56:18 PM EDT
[#15]
Those pics on jouster were photos from an event at the Springfield Armory Museum NOT from a secret stash of Korean rifles.......the poster of the pics was just trying to really get the rumors going.  
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 10:59:46 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Those pics on jouster were photos from an event at the Springfield Armory Museum NOT from a secret stash of Korean rifles.......the poster of the pics was just trying to really get the rumors going.  

Well, most of the canned pics were from the SANHS, but there was one of a couple actual cans that are being talked about overseas. I don't see what all the hoohaw is about, even if the guns actually get here there is about no chance they are gonna be selling unopened cans like so many over there are dreaming about. Somewhere along the way they're gonna get opened for a variety of reasons.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 6:48:21 AM EDT
[#17]

Somewhere along the way they're gonna get opened for a variety of reasons.

Yup... can anyone say import stamp on the receiver???  
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 7:29:01 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

This was in the late '80s (after the 1986 law). I recall Carbines wholesaling for about $175 and Garands wholesaling around $250-300.

When something like this happens, remember, they generally sell the best stuff first. The real junk gets held for last, and as it dries up, they can get the same prices for the junk that they got for the good stuff in the beginning.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 12:18:22 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I hope. It'd be nice to continue seeing $500 Garands to counter the price gouging elsewhere. Harry's Army and Navy was selling a CMP Greek-return M1 (had light beech wood and black park) for a whopping $900 and an M1 wearing USGI wood and park for $1200.

I want more M1s in the future and I hope I can afford them on a student's shoestring income.

I saw those last week. I walked out scratching my head as to how they came up with those prices.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top