Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 2/20/2002 4:29:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/20/2002 6:35:00 PM EDT by hg112]
I just bought an M1 Garand. What accessories do I need to get?
Who has a good price on clips?
Link Posted: 2/21/2002 12:05:45 AM EDT
First, get a USGI cleaning kit. Then, you'll want a "combination" tool, and I always get a broken shell extractor, 'cause ya never know...also, get a bayonet! I mean the one (I forget the nomenclature...M1, IIRC) with the barrel ring, not the M5, which has that "plug" which you stick into the gas plug. Don't forget the sling, either (I like the OD nylon sling so much every rifle I own has one). As far as clips go, just search through the SGN, and you'll find a BUNCH of places that sell 'em.
Link Posted: 2/21/2002 4:09:43 AM EDT
Another one.
Link Posted: 2/21/2002 4:17:49 AM EDT
I'll make the rash & unwarrented assumption that you know of the ammo limitations of the M1 Garand. Stick to GI ball (aka M2 Ball) or equivalents only. Don't try to "hot rod" with hotter loads that would be fine in a bolt gun. Too much pressure for too long at the gas port can bend the operating rod. This comes from too slow a powder and/or too heavy a bullet. It'll shoot GI stuff all day long, though.

You've got a great old rifle. Go shoot it.
Link Posted: 2/21/2002 4:44:42 AM EDT
Ammoman just got in some more clips.....
He also has plenty 30.06 ammo. I sure you know but if you shoot some old stuff...be sure and clean that weapon same day...corrosive 30.06 ammo is out there cheap and is fun to shoot, just got to clean quickly. A rule of thumb is pre 54 is corrosive...after is not....not set in stone!!
Link Posted: 2/23/2002 8:06:28 AM EDT
Several years ago...my son & I were shooting my M1 at local range. I had worked up some 150FMJ loads with H4895...after few rounds, I looked around and two older gents were standing off to side watching.

I cleared weapon and said "howdy"...one asked me where I got the M1... I told him at local shop. He asked why did I want one?

I said because it is a piece of history. To me it represented freedom for Europe, Pacific and S. Korea. And that I thought of all those soldiers and marines who answered the call, won WWII and came home to make America great.

He then told me he carried an M1 from Normandy to Germany...and hadn't seen one since. I relayed to him...I hoped to pass it along to my son--who was chasing brass for me.

I offered to let him and his friend shoot it...they declined. He did accept offer to handle though.

Mine is a Korean war rebuild...a great shooter, and it is very special to me.

You may wish to pickup several books... I recommend:
>Hatchers Book of the Garand - Hatcher
>U S Infantry Weapons of WWII - Canfield
>I let my M1 do my Talking

Enjoy yours.....
Link Posted: 2/23/2002 9:02:45 AM EDT
My advise is to get some national match sights for it.
At a bare minimim a hooded nm rear sight.
A gi cleaning and maintance manual kit is a good idea too.

IMO the big battle sight is ok but once you switch to a national match sight you will never go back.

My garands are pair of national match springfelds done by fulton armory and a totaly orignal 1953 H&R collector grade i snagged from the cmp a wile back.

welcom to the club
Link Posted: 2/23/2002 9:53:43 AM EDT
Scott Duffs "M-1 Garand Owners Guide".
Link Posted: 2/23/2002 1:04:53 PM EDT
Bruce Canfield's book "Complete Guide to the M1 Garand and M1 Carbine" is another good book.

A lot of Garand owners hand out at battlerifles.com/

Great gun to shoot. I sometimes look at mine (June 42 and March 44 manufacture) and wonder where they were used and who used them.

Too damn many neat guns out there... M1s, M1As, FALs, AR15s.... when's it gonna stop? [:\}
Link Posted: 2/23/2002 1:23:32 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Sukebe:
Scott Duffs "M-1 Garand Owners Guide".

I second Sukebe's recommendation. It is a $15(?) 125 page owners manual that is indespensable, a gotta' have.
Link Posted: 2/23/2002 1:29:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/23/2002 1:46:51 PM EDT by hg112]
It has a Redfield rear sight on it.
The previous owner bastardized(sportsterized) it.
He also cut the firing pin. [:\] I guess I will order one from Orion 7. Has anyone had any experience with them. They have firing pins for $9.00.
It appears to be a July 1943 SA reciever.
Thanks for all the advice.

Here's a pic of it in it's natural habitat.
Link Posted: 2/23/2002 1:57:37 PM EDT
Oh man, what a shame that someone messed it up.

Tony at Orion7 is good people, he'll treat you good.
Link Posted: 2/23/2002 2:11:15 PM EDT

Originally Posted By JonnieGTyler:
Oh man, what a shame that someone messed it up.

Tony at Orion7 is good people, he'll treat you good.

Yeah, it's a shame, but it's my first one and I felt sorry for this one so I gave it a new home.
I actually prefer the Redfield sight to the standard GI. I guess now I will have to order a standard M1 from CMP.
Link Posted: 2/23/2002 9:58:44 PM EDT
You think THAT one is messed up? I saw one at my local shop that some *sshole (whom I hope fell over dead soon after) put a "sporter" stock on, leaving off the forward handguard. They then had the gas tube JEWELED, the rest of it blued and polished! Imagine... a rifle with half of the op-rod exposed....I couldn't believe anybody could be that stupid!
Link Posted: 2/23/2002 10:28:11 PM EDT

Originally Posted By hg112:

That Garand of yours sure looks like a russian M44 carbine.... Oh, you meant the one on top...
Link Posted: 2/23/2002 11:11:24 PM EDT
ya think that rifle is messed up check out these fine sporters from willams gun site dated 1959.
Link Posted: 2/23/2002 11:16:18 PM EDT

or i that dont work as usual

http://community.webshots.com/storage/1/v5/9/49/76/31894976DRZZPOibLD_ph.jpg
Link Posted: 2/23/2002 11:33:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/23/2002 11:35:43 PM EDT by Zardoz]
Yep....the 3rd one down is exactly like the one I described. And to think people would actually pay money for such a monstrosity! Or that someone would actually think up some dumb sh*t like that!
Link Posted: 2/23/2002 11:53:48 PM EDT
well for an extra $7.50 williams will polish and damascus(sp?) the gas cylinder.

they claim it "adds to the appearance of the gun to further dress it up"
Link Posted: 2/24/2002 12:12:56 AM EDT
People like that ought to be locked up......
Link Posted: 2/24/2002 5:27:52 AM EDT
There has been one that floated around the local gunshows that had the rear sight milled off and some sort of scope base installed in the traditional manner bridging the receiver halves. The work was done well but it still looks like hell.

I think the going price was something like $650. Haven't seen it in a while, maybe it did sell. Or they gave up trying .
Top Top