Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/16/2002 5:45:58 PM EDT
I've got my AR-15 and an SAR-1. Looking for my 3rd rifle. I like the look of the FN/FAL types, have seen the new AR-180B and the CETME, as well as clones of the G3. Looking for suggestions, pros/cons. Thanks.
Link Posted: 4/16/2002 5:53:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Actually you can't go wrong with a choice of either type , I have an AR , Wsar-10 . FNFAL and a Cetme . Personally I like my Cetme more than my FAL , its the one I use for hunting when I go . See if you can find someone who will let you try both out before you buy . NOTE : Sometimes the Cetmes produced by Century Arms need a little work , usually its too much parkerizing material on the bolt assembly , once it wears down the weapon functions with out a hitch .
Link Posted: 4/16/2002 6:00:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Judging by what you already have, I'd say you need a battle rifle. CETME or FNFAL clone. I prefer the FN. However, if you have a little more money to spend get an M-1. If you have a little more than that to spend get an M-14 clone.
Link Posted: 4/16/2002 6:22:23 PM EDT
[#3]
I've got an AR-180B. I like it a lot.

But if I were you, and already had an AR-15, I'd get a FN FAL (DSA SA-58)
Link Posted: 4/16/2002 6:23:53 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:I've got my AR-15 and an SAR-1. Looking for my 3rd rifle. I like the look of the FN/FAL types, have seen the new AR-180B and the CETME, as well as clones of the G3. Looking for suggestions, pros/cons. Thanks.

[snark] Well, you can actually *find* a CETME to buy... [/snark]

Seriously, go for the FAL.  Very underrated battle rifle.
Link Posted: 4/16/2002 6:52:09 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
[[snark] Well, you can actually *find* a CETME to buy... [/snark]

Find'em hell (CETME), the gun store down the road from my house has 3 on the floor and who knows how many in the back.
Link Posted: 4/16/2002 6:56:35 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Find'em hell (CETME), the gun store down the road from my house has 3 on the floor and who knows how many in the back.

Looking at that again, just what did you mean? Is the CETME the bottom of the bucket or is it quality? It's just under 500 bucks, makes me wonder.......
Link Posted: 4/16/2002 7:02:36 PM EDT
[#7]
some guys really swear by cetmes, some have lemons. i have heard both ways, fwiw
Link Posted: 4/16/2002 7:04:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Get the AR180B. Interchangable mags. The price is right. I have seen some CETME clones and they are a hit and miss. Couple of the clones had bad weld marks.
Link Posted: 4/16/2002 11:06:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Get em both, shit.
Link Posted: 4/17/2002 6:05:15 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Looking at that again, just what did you mean? Is the CETME the bottom of the bucket or is it quality? It's just under 500 bucks, makes me wonder.......

Just that nobody seems to have the AR-180B in stock yet.  You can't swing a dead cat without hitting CETMEs though.

I might buy a CETME if I could pick from several, but generally I am very leery about anything cobbled together by the Century Arms gun plumbers.
Link Posted: 4/17/2002 6:47:39 AM EDT
[#11]
180Bs are not plentiful right now but I love mine..  So I gotta vote for the 180B..
Link Posted: 4/17/2002 8:28:09 AM EDT
[#12]
ArmaLite AR-10A4 would fit nicely with what you now have.
Link Posted: 4/17/2002 10:22:37 AM EDT
[#13]
For the same money as the CETME, the latest Century L1A's are a much better alternative.
Link Posted: 4/17/2002 10:51:17 AM EDT
[#14]
IMO, you GOTTA take a serious look at DSA's STg 58A.

For $800, you simply cannot buy a better battle rifle.

Oh, you can pay about 1/2 that amount, and get 1/4 of the rifle in the AR180 or the CETME.

But the FAL is incredible.

Link Posted: 4/17/2002 3:04:50 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
180Bs are not plentiful right now but I love mine..  So I gotta vote for the 180B..

No kidding! I called my local gun store, they said that the area distributor still hasn't got'em in yet and try back in a week or 2. What did you pay? The Armalite site has it listed as 650 srp.
Link Posted: 4/17/2002 4:53:49 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
IMO, you GOTTA take a serious look at DSA's STg 58A.

For $800, you simply cannot buy a better battle rifle.

Oh, you can pay about 1/2 that amount, and get 1/4 of the rifle in the AR180 or the CETME.

But the FAL is incredible.

You ever held or fired an original 180 or a 180B?  I didn't think so.

PS, I also love my Garands, so in that area I agree with you, even though they weren't brought up.  Just going by your name.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top