Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/18/2002 8:52:04 PM EDT
Just Bought a new Bushy XM-15 ES2 A3 Shorty 16" HBAR.  Any suggestions on how I should break it in so as not to cause damage to it?

Dog
Link Posted: 6/18/2002 9:07:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Just follow the breakin instructions on the Bushmaster website.
Link Posted: 6/18/2002 9:53:27 PM EDT
[#2]
What is written below is whats on the Bushmaster Web site and it isn't explicit enough to me...can anyone elaborate on whats written below???  What is excessive cleaning....after every few rounds....20 rds...40rds....???  Anyone had experience with this??

"After firing a couple hundred rounds, the chrome lining will "polish out" from its light, flat gray, factory-new look to a brightly reflective, polished appearance. During this break-in period, excessive cleaning with solvent or brush should be avoided as that will only prolong the time (and number of rounds) it takes to achieve the final "bullet polishing" of the barrel."

Dog
Link Posted: 6/19/2002 12:19:46 AM EDT
[#3]
Dont worry too much about it, just go shoot it, I clean mine after i go shoot every time, wether Ive put 20 rounds through it or 500.
Link Posted: 6/19/2002 6:12:11 AM EDT
[#4]
Shooting your new rifle won't damage it.  It's a gun!  It's made of very, very hard steel and you would have to go out of your way to damage it.  Shoot it, enjoy it and then clean it when you're done.
Link Posted: 6/19/2002 9:30:57 AM EDT
[#5]

After firing a couple hundred rounds... During this break-in period...

I would just wet and dry patch the bore before you shoot it the first time. I do that will all new gun barrels. Then don't clean the bore until after you shoot at least 200 rounds through it. Lube the bolt/bolt carrier group and upper receiver if needed and go shoot it. You can't damage it by shooting it.
Link Posted: 6/19/2002 9:37:14 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Shooting your new rifle won't damage it.  It's a gun!  It's made of very, very hard steel and you would have to go out of your way to damage it.  Shoot it, enjoy it and then clean it when you're done.

Excuse me but, IT'S A RIFLE.

"this is my Rifle, this is my Gun
this is for Fighting, this is for ..."

Mike
Link Posted: 6/19/2002 9:41:51 AM EDT
[#7]
Reddogg,
    Make sure you clean the gun before you shoot it as well.  Break it down and clean it and make sure its lubed well.  This just might prevent headaches with your new weapon.  Then go have fun.  
Bill3508
Link Posted: 6/19/2002 9:50:20 AM EDT
[#8]
Chrome lined barrel = Bullet hose!!

Just shoot it 200-300 rounds before a real cleaning. All the advise to run a wet then dry patch is good advice. Keep in mind though a chrome lined barrel is for spraying lead!! Have fun with it and let us know how you like it!!

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top