Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/1/2003 9:55:38 PM EDT
Can I switch out the locking safety for a regular safety on my new Express magnum? I didnt even know it had the F&*^in thing until after I got it home. Its my 3rd 870 and i couldnt resist Brand new in bow parkerized mag extension synthetic everything for 350.
Now I noticed the damn retard safety. Help Im pissed...
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 4:02:38 AM EDT
[#1]
NYC, Why? I have at least four Remington's with the new safeties' and over ten without. They all shoot the same. Last year I was staying in a hotel and had two shotguns with me. I used the locks. I thought it was great. I don't get what bothers people about this. Just disengage the lock and forget about it. MIKE.
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 4:47:43 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 3:27:18 PM EDT
[#3]
There's been quite a bit of argument about this, but the general consensus on this is, that you can simply replace the locking safety with a standard non-locking safety.  

I think Brownell's still sell giant head safeties, and a number of people have gotten them from Wilson's.
Those who have done it say it's just a matter of removing the locking safety and replacing it with the non-locking safety.

The Plastic trigger group and the aluminum group are interchangeable.  You can switch and swap them at will.
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 5:37:34 PM EDT
[#4]
What faris say's is correct and I'll second that.
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 5:53:04 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
NYC, Why? I have at least four Remington's with the new safeties' and over ten without. They all shoot the same. Last year I was staying in a hotel and had two shotguns with me. I used the locks. I thought it was great. I don't get what bothers people about this. Just disengage the lock and forget about it. MIKE.

I agree,  the only way this will keep the firearm from functioning as normal, is if you intentionaly lock it.  Just unlock it,  throw the key in the back of your safe, and forget about it.(heh set it and forget it).
You got a good deal on a fine hunk of gun, even if it does have an extra "safety feature" that can be completely ignored.
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 6:16:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks Fellas Im gonna leave it as is, I just wanted to know I could swap it if I wanted too. thanks for the input.
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 6:20:44 PM EDT
[#7]
I poppped a Scattergun Technologies extended safety into mine with no problems.  The button with the key lock is the only part thats different from other 870s.
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 7:58:04 PM EDT
[#8]
We wanted to see if the lock could accidentally become engaged.  We took several of the new guns and jiggled the safeties, tapped on them, etc. and were able to get several of them to become locked without the key.  Of course, we couldn't unlock them without the key.  
If it something that you are going to bet your life on, I would recommend changing the safety.  If it's just for shooting, keep all the factory safety devices intact.  It is unlikely that it will lock itself but it could happen.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top