Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/16/2020 6:52:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By IAm4:

Wrong tubes, Derek has pvs-7 tubes.
View Quote

From reading the ad, I thought $1200 was for tubes that would work in a PVS-14 and $800 was for the PVS-7 tubes.

Am I wrong?

Edit:

I just noticed the EE ad title. Freedom boner deflating......

Link Posted: 5/16/2020 7:30:04 PM EDT
[#2]
I started with a PVS14 and could never really get into the one green eye thing.  Bought a used PVS7 on the EE and sold the PVS14.  Eventually bought a WP PVS7
Link Posted: 5/16/2020 8:10:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By MunnyShot:

LOL you probably haven't gotten your NOD Legs yet. I started with a PVS7 also, then moved to a 14 and I thought it was great to have one eye unaided in urban lights with the ability to read different lighting. Then reality set in when we where in a dark canyon with little to no moon/star light. That was an oh shit moment when I whish I had the 7s because it was more natural with both eyes aided.
View Quote

Yeah hard to say. I prefer a single PVS14 most of the time, if there's any moonlight or urban lighting or anything. The only time I add a second one and use my dual bridge mount is on moonless nights when I'm doing night hikes. Then I get my depth perception back. Don't remember face planting with single or double PVS14 though, which is nice.
Link Posted: 5/16/2020 8:42:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By PFran42:

From reading the ad, I thought $1200 was for tubes that would work in a PVS-14 and $800 was for the PVS-7 tubes. 

Am I wrong?

Edit: 

I just noticed the EE ad title. Freedom boner deflating......

View Quote

1,200 was for new in the box tubes and 800 for new out of the box tubes. Both where MX10130 Omni VII style tubes for the PVS7.
Link Posted: 5/16/2020 9:54:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By MunnyShot:

1,200 was for new in the box tubes and 800 for new out of the box tubes. Both where MX10130 Omni VII style tubes for the PVS7.
View Quote

Yep... back to mulling over how to spend $10k.
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 5:16:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By wjoutlaw:

This was pretty much what I was going to type out. I have used everything from PVS-5s to 7s, 14s and now RNVGs. I had a set of 5s up until a few years ago and now regret selling them. I had a single 14 and immediately built another one for duals. I got so used to using binos that a single 14 was a downgrade. I say get the 7 and get used to using them. You'll eventually get true duals anyway. At least with the cheaper 7s, you'll learn and most likely make mistakes. Would your rather make a mistake with a cheaper 7 than wreck your expensive binos?

Get the 7, train hard, save up for the binos. Later on down the road, you can either keep the 7 or resell it to offset the cost. 
View Quote

What are these "mistakes" I keep reading about?
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 5:22:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By JohnDough:

What are these "mistakes" I keep reading about?
View Quote

drops, smashes into things, sit on them etc.
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 5:25:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By IAm4:

drops, smashes into things, sit on them etc. 
View Quote

So nothing like "oh...you walked near a fridge with magnets and it fried your tube, eh? You didnt KNOW!?"

That's the sort of weird shit I'm scared of. Ruining my kit without knowing how or why. Dropping it is filed under "obvious".
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 5:55:48 PM EDT
[#9]

So nothing like "oh...you walked near a fridge with magnets and it fried your tube, eh? You didnt KNOW!?"

That's the sort of weird shit I'm scared of. Ruining my kit without knowing how or why. Dropping it is filed under "obvious".
View Quote

How have I missed this? Is this a thing?
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 6:31:47 PM EDT
[#10]

So nothing like "oh...you walked near a fridge with magnets and it fried your tube, eh? You didnt KNOW!?"

That's the sort of weird shit I'm scared of. Ruining my kit without knowing how or why. Dropping it is filed under "obvious".
View Quote

There are multiple threads of what not do do with NV. Basic are remove any type of battery when not in use, avoid staring at bright, LEDs, lights for long durations, avoid lasers, and for god sake use a friggin lanyard.
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 6:35:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 8:53:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By TNVC_Augee:

This subject has been hashed over a number of times, so I'll try to be brief: 

- Beginner users often take to 7s faster than 14s because it "feels" more natural. 

- Some users simply cannot resolve images as disparate as a monocular/unaided eye, and may never get used to a PVS-14. This is a very very small portion of the population, and often it can be solved by switching eyes on the monocular, but nevertheless, it is a thing. 

- There are real reasons that the PVS-14 is superior to the PVS-7 in terms of situational awareness and depth perception. These are not opinions, they have to do with the way your brain processes information. How important that is to you is the subjective component. 

- The Gen. 2 PVS-5 was the first widely issued individual night vision device in the U.S. military. It was a dual tube device because... duh, we have two eyes. 

- The PVS-7 was developed solely and entirely because the Army Infantry decided that it wasn't worth spending the money to buy two tubes per Soldier, and that one tube was "good enough." 

- The conventional Army, Marine Corps, and Special Operations Forces are all moving or have moved to binocular-style devices with no looking back.  

- I learned to fight and I learned to lead using PVS-7s. I did all of the things, including CQB/MOUT and maneuvering not just dismounted units but mounted units using them. You can do it. 

- I went to Afghanistan with PVS-14s. About a third of the missions I did on my first tour were night LP/OPs in both urban and rural settings. You can do it. 

- Knowing what I know now and having the experience of using a wide swath of the readily available modern night vision device out there in some way, shape, or form, I would never not choose dedicated binos if I had the option unless I was trying to be as low profile as possible (think PVS-14 and Nightcap in a cargo pocket type stuff). 

- If you can get them cheap enough, used Gen. 3 PVS-7s can sometimes be a good deal. But you have to be lucky and know where to look to find them--so the question can become "how much is your time worth?" Is it worth watching craigslist, eBay, TACSWAP, facebook, and the EE on rotation for a month to maybe get scammed/ripped off/receive stolen gear worth saving $500 to you? Maybe it is, maybe it isn't, that's your decision. 

- Buying new, PVS-7 style devices are almost always more expensive than their equally performing monocular counterparts. They require more time and effort to build and more components because they're inherently more complex. The only reason they might be cheaper is because no one would want them otherwise.

~Augee
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By dj1975232:

How have I missed this? Is this a thing?

This subject has been hashed over a number of times, so I'll try to be brief: 

- Beginner users often take to 7s faster than 14s because it "feels" more natural. 

- Some users simply cannot resolve images as disparate as a monocular/unaided eye, and may never get used to a PVS-14. This is a very very small portion of the population, and often it can be solved by switching eyes on the monocular, but nevertheless, it is a thing. 

- There are real reasons that the PVS-14 is superior to the PVS-7 in terms of situational awareness and depth perception. These are not opinions, they have to do with the way your brain processes information. How important that is to you is the subjective component. 

- The Gen. 2 PVS-5 was the first widely issued individual night vision device in the U.S. military. It was a dual tube device because... duh, we have two eyes. 

- The PVS-7 was developed solely and entirely because the Army Infantry decided that it wasn't worth spending the money to buy two tubes per Soldier, and that one tube was "good enough." 

- The conventional Army, Marine Corps, and Special Operations Forces are all moving or have moved to binocular-style devices with no looking back.  

- I learned to fight and I learned to lead using PVS-7s. I did all of the things, including CQB/MOUT and maneuvering not just dismounted units but mounted units using them. You can do it. 

- I went to Afghanistan with PVS-14s. About a third of the missions I did on my first tour were night LP/OPs in both urban and rural settings. You can do it. 

- Knowing what I know now and having the experience of using a wide swath of the readily available modern night vision device out there in some way, shape, or form, I would never not choose dedicated binos if I had the option unless I was trying to be as low profile as possible (think PVS-14 and Nightcap in a cargo pocket type stuff). 

- If you can get them cheap enough, used Gen. 3 PVS-7s can sometimes be a good deal. But you have to be lucky and know where to look to find them--so the question can become "how much is your time worth?" Is it worth watching craigslist, eBay, TACSWAP, facebook, and the EE on rotation for a month to maybe get scammed/ripped off/receive stolen gear worth saving $500 to you? Maybe it is, maybe it isn't, that's your decision. 

- Buying new, PVS-7 style devices are almost always more expensive than their equally performing monocular counterparts. They require more time and effort to build and more components because they're inherently more complex. The only reason they might be cheaper is because no one would want them otherwise.

~Augee

Sorry to rehash Augee I wasn't meaning about the PVS7 though.  I was referring to his comment about the danger of magnets to the tube.  Is that a joke or a real issue?
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 10:00:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By dj1975232:

Sorry to rehash Augee I wasn't meaning about the PVS7 though.  I was referring to his comment about the danger of magnets to the tube.  Is that a joke or a real issue?
View Quote

It should be a joke, otherwise the PVS-14 with the magnetic compass attached would probably be a poor choice (for a reason other than attaching a compass to your nvg).

Sounds like a great idea for a moral patch though, picture of fridge magnet and "Muh Tubes!"
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 10:02:53 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 10:24:35 PM EDT
[#15]

Nah, the PVS-7 stuff has been discussed many times over, but if you look at what I quoted at the beginning of that post:

I was emphasizing the “nothing like.” 

Non-issue.

That was just someone coming up with an example of a weird thing that they might not be aware of as opposed to “simple” abuse.

~Augee
View Quote

Correct. I have never heard of that. Never heard RUMOR of it. I just meant it as an example of some mythical thing that could torpedo a tube that I was clueless about because who the hell thinks of THAT...oh...people who "know". I want to "know" before I wreck something worth more than my first 3 cars combined.
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 11:25:22 PM EDT
[#16]
jeez, for the price of 1 pvs-7, you could get 3 SiOnyx Sports, or 2 sports and a FLIR TK. Options ppl, its all about options.
Mark me down for a PVS-7 Now, and a 14 or binos later. More performance per $ and it'll let you know right away if this hobby is for you or not.
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 8:58:10 AM EDT
[#17]
The other side of this, and we have all heard it.

Some people just want night vision, and it will sit in the safe for months at a time. They also dont want to spend 6 k on something that is going to sit, so 1500 for a good spec -7 is reasonable and a price they live with knowing it wont get used much. Also as something that will only get used or played with every so often a -7 makes sense because of the both eyes thing and the easier to use for a newb who will not be using it a lot.
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 12:55:47 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By TNVC_Sam:
Gross
View Quote

Lol...We’re you wearing your “stop being poor” shirt when you typed this?

Link Posted: 5/20/2020 1:53:57 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 9:01:00 AM EDT
[#20]
Welp, I got my PVS-7 put together and.... OMFG night visions, this is titty sprinkles. I have already sent funds out for a PVS-27 and now the only question left is what to get next, RNVGs or MOD 3s????
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 1:15:15 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Welp, I got my PVS-7 put together and.... OMFG night visions, this is titty sprinkles. I have already sent funds out for a PVS-27 and now the only question left is what to get next, RNVGs or MOD 3s????
View Quote

Welp, we lost another one, I put in a vote for the RNVG, I'm waiting on my housing right now.

Just whatever you do, don't mix your night vision addiction with retro rifles.
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 5:59:53 PM EDT
[#22]
Congratulations! Now get out and actually use them. Do something, anything while wearing NODs. Doing simple everyday tasks will help you familiarize with them more than any high speed expensive tier one cool guy course.

I vote for RNVGs myself
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 10:29:39 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Welp, we lost another one, I put in a vote for the RNVG, I'm waiting on my housing right now.

Just whatever you do, don't mix your night vision addiction with retro rifles.
View Quote

Lol I hear that. How about retro rifles AND clones***

+1 from me for RNVGs as well
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 2:02:53 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I am working on another PVS-7 that I may consider letting go of. I'm really trying to keep a couple on the shelf as a back up to my RNVGs. That hasn't exactly worked out lately. I've sold off 3 sets in the last couple of months.

I've used 7s and other systems
over the years and I'll always recommend them to people new to night vision since it is easier for them to use initially. Once they learn the limitations of night vision and get some good training under them, once they move up to true binos, then they are a force to be reckoned with.

I've bought quite a few of the 10130 tubes from @DerekBrownHKW and his merchandise is top of the line. You cannot go wrong purchasing from him.
View Quote

I sent you an email
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top