11/2/2022 4:30:06 PM
Page / 9
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 8:57:37 AM EST
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By swampfoxoutdoors:
Came to say this. Got mine yesterday.
View Quote

Not sure how much it means, but Mike did say he wanted to take a deeper dive into the NV community and this helps acquire more accessory feedback. I have enough light heads floating around to field a platoon (IR-850 in EE) but I like their idea on prospective number calculations. I flat out asked when he thought these units may drop but no response.
brownells
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 9:05:00 AM EST
[#2]
Originally Posted By GunnyFitz:

Not sure how much it means, but Mike did say he wanted to take a deeper dive into the NV community and this helps acquire more accessory feedback. I have enough light heads floating around to field a platoon (IR-850 in EE) but I like their idea on prospective number calculations. I flat out asked when he thought these units may drop but no response.
View Quote

Think it said June but no date.

To me as a NV noob and just wanting some quality gear without breaking the bank this unit checks both of those boxes off.
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 11:04:35 AM EST
[#3]
Originally Posted By swampfoxoutdoors:

Think it said June but no date.

To me as a NV noob and just wanting some quality gear without breaking the bank this unit checks both of those boxes off.
View Quote

Being able to get a quality laser and then add on capabilities (white lite/IR heads) with gear you may already own is great. It's more budget driven and also a better "package" versus all standalone units. I'm closely watching this as a guy just now dipping his toes into the NV game.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 3:20:13 PM EST
[#4]
My interest is that with a Kiji head, you've got MAWL grade illumination at a fraction of the cost. The laser itself is going to be limited either way, after all.
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 6:28:14 PM EST
[#5]
Originally Posted By TheRat:
My interest is that with a Kiji head, you've got MAWL grade illumination at a fraction of the cost. The laser itself is going to be limited either way, after all.
View Quote

Thankfully, even at civilian power, the lasers are still super functional.
Link Posted: 6/18/2022 6:16:12 PM EST
[#6]
Any news on a CTF-2 release date?

Also, I'd probably buy one with no laser at all, but ideally they'd do one with a slaved VIS laser.
Link Posted: 6/25/2022 8:27:55 PM EST
[#7]
They confirmed to me on IG that there are no plans for a slaved IR/VIS laser version, btw.

Big sad. Hope that changes.
Link Posted: 6/25/2022 8:39:17 PM EST
[#8]
Originally Posted By Number0neGun:
They confirmed to me on IG that there are no plans for a slaved IR/VIS laser version, btw.
View Quote

They? .....damn, ain't been here in a minute!
Link Posted: 6/26/2022 3:39:32 PM EST
[#9]

They? .....damn, ain't been here in a minute!
View Quote

Is it just one dude or something? I said they as in the company.
Link Posted: 6/27/2022 6:12:51 AM EST
[#10]
Is it just one dude or something? I said they as in the company.
View Quote

DISREGARD: I figured out what you mean. To my knowledge only one guy answers everyone, and he appears both sharp and dedicated to make these work!
Link Posted: 6/30/2022 10:04:25 PM EST
[#11]

View Quote

Thats too bad .............

Just when you thought the ultimate LAM was coming to market.  I guess lack of vision = no vision.  If room is the problem there are some emitters that produce both IR and green laser light.

Most green lasers are really IR with an additional crystal filter added .The IR is at 1064nm light  (IR) . There is a second crystal used to double the frequency, and half the wavelength down to 532nm (green).  Put a crystal filter that slides into place producing green.

Lets see what Steiner replaces the CQB with.  I'll add a Blazer LEP and IR  light to it .

Link Posted: 6/30/2022 10:23:08 PM EST
[#12]
I wonder if you could screw the battery or front end partially out to turn it off
Link Posted: 7/1/2022 1:38:02 PM EST
[Last Edit: Defaultmp3] [#13]
Originally Posted By Visigothic:
Just when you thought the ultimate LAM was coming to market.  I guess lack of vision = no vision.  If room is the problem there are some emitters that produce both IR and green laser light.

Most green lasers are really IR with an additional crystal filter added .The IR is at 1064nm light  (IR) . There is a second crystal used to double the frequency, and half the wavelength down to 532nm (green).  Put a crystal filter that slides into place producing green.
View Quote
1064 nm is OoB for the vast majority of tubes, though; unless you're using an E-COSI or maybe some of the new Photonis tubes with their updated Hypersense (or the unrelease Sionyx stuff), you won't be able to see 1064 nm; Hell, there are various companies that go as far as to call their 1064 nm products to be SWIR. Infrared is a huge range, from 700 nm to 1,000,00 nm (1 mm). I mean, I guess you could frequency double an 850nm laser, but that would be indigo, and I certainly would be leery of such a mechanical switch in which a filter has to be put into place to begin with.

Beyond that, I'm not sure that I would say that "most" green lasers for weapons are frequency doubled. That may have been the common way to do it back in the day (and thus leading to the reputation of green lasers being much more power hungry and having much poorer low temperature operating floors), but most of the quality green pointers these days are natively outputting green at the 515 nm range (Wilcox RAID-X, BEM MAWLs, SureFire X400 and XLV2,  Streamlight TLR-8 G and likely the 10 G, the newer generations of the Steinier MFALs that they've done rolling updates to, even a bunch of the LaserMax options, etc.). Sure, CrimsonTrace, Viridian, Olight, and other brands may still use frequency doubling, but most of the higher tier manufacturers have gone to direct green diodes.
Link Posted: 7/2/2022 8:08:39 AM EST
[#14]
Originally Posted By Defaultmp3:
1064 nm is OoB for the vast majority of tubes, though; unless you're using an E-COSI or maybe some of the new Photonis tubes with their updated Hypersense (or the unrelease Sionyx stuff), you won't be able to see 1064 nm; Hell, there are various companies that go as far as to call their 1064 nm products to be SWIR. Infrared is a huge range, from 700 nm to 1,000,00 nm (1 mm). I mean, I guess you could frequency double an 850nm laser, but that would be indigo, and I certainly would be leery of such a mechanical switch in which a filter has to be put into place to begin with.

Beyond that, I'm not sure that I would say that "most" green lasers for weapons are frequency doubled. That may have been the common way to do it back in the day (and thus leading to the reputation of green lasers being much more power hungry and having much poorer low temperature operating floors), but most of the quality green pointers these days are natively outputting green at the 515 nm range (Wilcox RAID-X, BEM MAWLs, SureFire X400 and XLV2,  Streamlight TLR-8 G and likely the 10 G, the newer generations of the Steinier MFALs that they've done rolling updates to, even a bunch of the LaserMax options, etc.). Sure, CrimsonTrace, Viridian, Olight, and other brands may still use frequency doubling, but most of the higher tier manufacturers have gone to direct green diodes.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Defaultmp3:
Originally Posted By Visigothic:

Yeah it's a neat idea, but I wouldn't trust a mechanical device like that to hold zero without shifting between modes.
Link Posted: 7/2/2022 4:29:16 PM EST
[Last Edit: Visigothic] [#15]
True, 1064 nm  it is out on the fringe. Photonis would work and some digitals.  I'm wondering if there is a reverse polarity laser emitter that would work like come LEDs  that emit different wave lengths based on polarity.
Link Posted: 7/19/2022 12:35:55 AM EST
[Last Edit: jt526] [#16]
Prices and packages are up:

$699 base+
Combinations of
white malkoff head +&100
Ir malkoff head +$150
kiji + $600

up to
$1399 with kiji and white malkoff e1ht
Link Posted: 7/19/2022 9:11:48 AM EST
[#17]
What color is it anodized? FDE/tan hopefully?
Link Posted: 7/19/2022 9:13:52 AM EST
[#18]
Hopefully I can snag one on release, and hopefully release is soon. Since my application is going to be a PCC, I'm leaning towards the Malkoff IR head rather than a Kiji head. But the nice thing is that if I ever do decide I want a Kiji, I just have to get the head and toss it on, it's not a whole unit upgrade required.
Link Posted: 7/19/2022 12:51:09 PM EST
[#19]
Originally Posted By UndrGrndPrdcts:
View Quote

Strangely, they're not anodized, at least they weren't. Instead they were silver, as in raw aluminum. I think it's a mistake not to anodize them in black and FDE, but that's just me.
Link Posted: 7/19/2022 1:14:39 PM EST
[#20]
Originally Posted By CJofFL:

Strangely, they're not anodized, at least they weren't. Instead they were silver, as in raw aluminum. I think it's a mistake not to anodize them in black and FDE, but that's just me.
View All Quotes

It says hard anodized on their website.
Link Posted: 7/19/2022 2:35:11 PM EST
[#21]

View Quote

Probably clear coat anodized.
Link Posted: 7/19/2022 2:48:34 PM EST
[#22]
Originally Posted By Outrider:

View All Quotes

That would be gay, 99% of people probably want tan.

What's the consensus on these now that we know what the new button layout looks like? Are they going to sell out in a hot minute? Should I buy one? It seems to check a lot of boxes.
Link Posted: 7/19/2022 8:50:40 PM EST
[#23]

What's the consensus on these now that we know what the new button layout looks like? Are they going to sell out in a hot minute? Should I buy one? It seems to check a lot of boxes.
View All Quotes

I too would prefer tannodized.
Link Posted: 7/20/2022 12:04:46 AM EST
[#24]
Black anodized, and with a slaved VIS laser, and this is THE perfect IR device.
Link Posted: 7/20/2022 5:23:42 AM EST
[#25]

View Quote

Not quite, it says, “HARD-ANODIZED MACHINED ALUMINUM COMPONENTS” and “MONOLITHIC DMLS ALUMINUM BODY”.

Looking at the picture, it appears there’s a  machined aluminum part anodized black in between the DLMS body and the heads, but the DLMS body shown is still silver and not anodized just like the silver body of the CTF1.

Also regarding another post above, I’m no expert, but I don’t believe there is “clear” hardcoat anodize.

Link Posted: 7/20/2022 7:17:41 AM EST
[#26]

Not quite, it says, “HARD-ANODIZED MACHINED ALUMINUM COMPONENTS” and “MONOLITHIC DMLS ALUMINUM BODY”.

Looking at the picture, it appears there’s a  machined aluminum part anodized black in between the DLMS body and the heads, but the DLMS body shown is still silver and not anodized just like the silver body of the CTF1.

Also regarding another post above, I’m no expert, but I don’t believe there is “clear” hardcoat anodize.

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0602/4829/3634/products/CTF-2_v007_Proto_300dpi_118b67a0-218e-4052-9844-9692ccd403f1.jpg?v=1658082949
View All Quotes

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0602/4829/3634/products/CTF-2_v007_Proto_300dpi_118b67a0-218e-4052-9844-9692ccd403f1.jpg?v=1658082949

I guess we will have to wait and see exactly what that's like when people start getting them in person. What do we think of those buttons?
Link Posted: 7/20/2022 7:55:20 AM EST
[#27]

I guess we will have to wait and see exactly what that's like when people start getting them in person.
View Quote

Yes, agreed, I'm just dissecting what little I see on their site. Hopefully, if they're planning on raw aluminum, they'll reconsider based on feedback.

I used Photoshop to auto contrast the pic above in case anyone else is interested...

Link Posted: 7/20/2022 2:09:16 PM EST
[#28]

View Quote

You may be correct. I just wanted to say that there is non-dye anodizing though it is often light gold in color ala Q Honey badger.
Link Posted: 7/20/2022 2:15:45 PM EST
[#29]

You may be correct. I just wanted to say that there is non-dye anodizing though it is often light gold in color ala Q Honey badger.
View Quote

Hmmm, that's interesting as typical 6061 aluminum with a type 3 hard coat anodizing will come out with a natural grey finish if no dye is added. Also, anodizing without dye will produce a slightly harder coating than if dye is added (although it's pretty negligible).
Link Posted: 7/24/2022 3:57:06 PM EST
[#30]
The rough sintered finish of the DMLS manufacturing process has the added benefit of reducing the IR reflectivity of the unit. You can always rattle can it if you don’t like the way it looks.
Link Posted: 7/24/2022 4:40:18 PM EST
[#31]
Originally Posted By tranzformer:
The rough sintered finish of the DMLS manufacturing process has the added benefit of reducing the IR reflectivity of the unit. You can always rattle can it if you don’t like the way it looks.
View Quote

Indeed. The can is to be used, not feared.
Link Posted: 7/25/2022 8:24:58 AM EST
[#32]
Website says shipping late July, anyone know if they are dropping this week?
Link Posted: 7/25/2022 10:39:52 PM EST
[Last Edit: GunnyFitz] [#33]
Mike's been solid & up front since day one.

These are literally his words as of 10a. Today gents:

"Should be shipping last week of July / First week of August. We upgraded PCB drivers and decided to build our own optical molds to better control laser output quality. We are backing these with a 5-year warranty. I want to make sure it is an heirloom-quality device. That takes some time"

Really lookin forward to T&E on this little beast!
Link Posted: 7/26/2022 7:04:24 AM EST
[Last Edit: UndrGrndPrdcts] [#34]
Mike's been solid & up front since day one.

These are literally his words as of 10a. Today gents:

"Should be shipping last week of July / First week of August. We upgraded PCB drivers and decided to build our own optical molds to better control laser output quality. We are backing these with a 5-year warranty. I want to make sure it is an heirloom-quality device. That takes some time"

Really lookin forward to T&E on this little beast!
View Quote

Eta: so I was thinking about this, the laser probably won't be very centered in the illuminator spill will it?
Link Posted: 7/26/2022 8:12:44 AM EST
[Last Edit: Croak] [#35]

Eta: so I was thinking about this, the laser probably won't be very centered in the illuminator spill will it?
View Quote

Shouldn't be that awful, the illumination tube looks like it's actually closer to the center laser on the CTF than it is on say, an ATPIAL, NGAL, or DBAL, where they're on opposite sides of the rail from each other, and at least as close as any rail-mounted solution for stand-alone IR illum.
Link Posted: 7/27/2022 9:31:56 AM EST
[#36]

View Quote
A Vis laser only adds to the cost and offers no benefit for NV users (who this device is designed for)
Link Posted: 7/27/2022 9:35:51 AM EST
[#37]
Originally Posted By Gentleman4561:
A Vis laser only adds to the cost and offers no benefit for NV users (who this device is designed for)
View Quote

I'm not sure that's entirely correct, but see your POV.
Link Posted: 7/27/2022 1:42:47 PM EST
[#38]

View All Quotes

Two valid view points but if that were always the case most military LAMs would not have a vis laser i.e. MAWL , PEQ etc.

A vis laser can be in some situations a less lethal deterrent just by it's observed presence,  a no brainier is unless your operating covertly.  NO I doubt I'll ever be calling in a gun ship and painting a target which is the military reason for having it but it does make sighting in much easier.

I think CTF-2 is going to be the "modular LAM" benchmark for others to emulate, it's a super concept.  Again if room is the issue, somewhere there is a laser emitter that will produce both visible and IR from the same module by way of polarity or freq induction.
Link Posted: 7/27/2022 1:59:40 PM EST
[#39]

View Quote

I had asked them about Tan and Black on IG and this was the response....

"Maybe black and tan machined hardware.  Bodies most likely to stay gray.  It takes paint just fine if FDE is life"
Link Posted: 7/27/2022 3:40:46 PM EST
[#40]
View Quote

I am a mild NV user and I won't buy it because it doesn't have a vis laser.  When I get the opportunity to shoot under my pvs14  I don't want to be fussing with sighting it in. I want to do that during the daylight hours with a coaligned vis laser so I'm ready to go as soon as the sun goes down.

I understand aot of folks don't care about a vis laser. I just prefer it.  You combine no vis laser and no tape switch and it really doesn't interest me much. I don't think it does anything better than the products used separately.

But to each their own.

Link Posted: 7/27/2022 3:57:36 PM EST
[#41]
Originally Posted By carholio:

I am a mild NV user and I won't buy it because it doesn't have a vis laser.  When I get the opportunity to shoot under my pvs14  I don't want to be fussing with sighting it in. I want to do that during the daylight hours with a coaligned vis laser so I'm ready to go as soon as the sun goes down.

I understand aot of folks don't care about a vis laser. I just prefer it.  You combine no vis laser and no tape switch and it really doesn't interest me much. I don't think it does anything better than the products used separately.

But to each their own.

View Quote

It does when you can get MAWL like performance for 1/2 the price. Nothing else out there like the CTF-2 in the price range.
Link Posted: 7/27/2022 4:07:32 PM EST
[#42]
So maybe I'm just missing it somewhere...Can this be set up with a pressure switch? Or is it only activated by the buttons on the unit itself? Because I like the idea a lot, but if it can't have pressure switches, I have a hard time seeing the use of this vs a separate unit for each, at least for me. It's really not much more compact than hanging a white light off the left, an IR light off the right, and a compact IR laser in the center. Sure, it's more cost effective, which I always like, but I think the ability to set it up with something like TAPS would make it even more betterer (for me).
Link Posted: 7/27/2022 4:07:34 PM EST
[#43]

It does when you can get MAWL like performance for 1/2 the price. Nothing else out there like the CTF-2 in the price range.
View Quote

Not sure I understand.  If you mount a kiji on your rail and use a Holosun ls221 laser it won't have the same exact performance?  The ctf use a higher power laser or something?

Link Posted: 7/27/2022 4:10:21 PM EST
[#44]
Originally Posted By CJ47:
So maybe I'm just missing it somewhere...Can this be set up with a pressure switch? Or is it only activated by the buttons on the unit itself? Because I like the idea a lot, but if it can't have pressure switches, I have a hard time seeing the use of this vs a separate unit for each, at least for me. It's really not much more compact than hanging a white light off the left, an IR light off the right, and a compact IR laser in the center. Sure, it's more cost effective, which I always like, but I think the ability to set it up with something like TAPS would make it even more betterer (for me).
View Quote

From everything I've read, you can not use a pressure switch.  You must use the buttons. Basically it's a centered laser and you get to pick what white and ir heads you want to screw into it.

Link Posted: 7/27/2022 4:45:03 PM EST
[#45]

View Quote

People keep missing the point that this is designed to fill a hole in the market within a certain price bracket, and a variable price at that with the new modularity of the heads. Maybe if they're successful enough with this they can start designing the ultimate, professional-grade unit that gives Wilcox a challenge in features. I think the modularity of this latest iteration is genius and certainly plan on getting one, just trying to decide on how much I want to spend on the complete configuration.
Link Posted: 7/27/2022 8:54:48 PM EST
[Last Edit: jt526] [#46]
Originally Posted By DDS87:

People keep missing the point that this is designed to fill a hole in the market within a certain price bracket, and a variable price at that with the new modularity of the heads. Maybe if they're successful enough with this they can start designing the ultimate, professional-grade unit that gives Wilcox a challenge in features. I think the modularity of this latest iteration is genius and certainly plan on getting one, just trying to decide on how much I want to spend on the complete configuration
View Quote
Exactly, this is the perfect modular minimalist, meets a need low real estate solution that is upgradeable. Shoehorning a peq15, cqbl + illuminator, dbal, white light, whatever on something like a rattler or honey badger just doesn't work for me. This should meet a lot of peoples needs.

Link Posted: 7/27/2022 8:58:38 PM EST
[Last Edit: jt526] [#47]
Originally Posted By carholio:

Not sure I understand.  If you mount a kiji on your rail and use a Holosun ls221 laser it won't have the same exact performance?  The ctf use a higher power laser or something?

View Quote

.call it $750 for the KIJI, $550 for the laser plus ~250 for a scout light for $1550 or so and all you give up is a red laser and some switches for a smaller setup
Link Posted: 7/27/2022 9:00:42 PM EST
[#48]
Anybody know anything about the DesignateIR-V?

It's almost a feature match for a MAWL on paper, and at $1,600 it's getting real price competitive with the CTF-2 KIJI/WL combo, takes a Crane plug, claimed at 8oz, and is lower profile than the CTF-2.  Lasers are offset, but it does have a visible laser and the illuminator is VCSEL.  

https://usnightvision.com/designateir-v-dual-beam-laser-green-visible-infrared-laser-vcsel-ir-illuminator/
Link Posted: 7/27/2022 9:03:00 PM EST
[Last Edit: DDS87] [#49]
Originally Posted By jt526:

.call it $750 for the KIJI, $550 for the laser plus ~250 for a scout light for $1550 or so and all you give up is a red laser and some switches for a smaller setup
View Quote

This weighs 15oz. Don't forget the tape switch(es) and end cap(s)!
Link Posted: 7/27/2022 9:06:08 PM EST
[#50]
Originally Posted By Croak:
Anybody know anything about the DesignateIR-V?

https://imgur.com/QVPIWQj.jpg

https://imgur.com/R4mX4bq.jpg

It's almost a feature match for a MAWL on paper, and at $1,600 it's getting real price competitive with the CTF-2 KIJI/WL combo, takes a Crane plug, claimed at 8oz, and is lower profile than the CTF-2.  Lasers are offset, but it does have a visible laser and the illuminator is VCSEL.  

https://usnightvision.com/designateir-v-dual-beam-laser-green-visible-infrared-laser-vcsel-ir-illuminator/
View Quote

Interesting, but this weight and price doesn't include a white light. You'll need the whole white light, not just the head. Extra for any switch/cap if wanted.
Page / 9
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top