Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/13/2003 1:35:10 PM EDT
I posted this in the general forum and thought it might be better suited here...

I plan to purchase a short a short barreled Thompson M1 soon to start building my own working Aliens pulse rifle. One of the hurdles however is that a normal short 10.5" Thompson barrel is too short and the 16" carbine barrel is too long. I need a custom one that is slightly longer than the 10.5" barrel. The one I need is seen in the pictures here. Anybody know where I would have some custom barrel work done?:

Link Posted: 12/13/2003 5:36:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Forgive me for not knowing what a "pulse rifle" is but I assume you know with that short a barrel, you're gonna need a Class 3 license?

There's the usual custom barrel makers: Douglas, Kreighoff (sp?) & several others.

Get a copy of Shotgun News somewhere, there's a slew of listings in there.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 1:46:39 AM EDT
[#2]
Add another $200 tax stamp for the shotgun (chopped 870) under the barrel.

As for barrels, just turn a standard Semi carbine barrel down after you get your 2-Form 4's (submitted as form 1's) back from BAFT.
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 3:11:30 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Forgive me for not knowing what a "pulse rifle" is but I assume you know with that short a barrel, you're gonna need a Class 3 license?

SciFi movie "Aliens" www.imdb.com/title/tt0090605/  The Colonial Marines in the movie carried hi-tech assault rifles with an underbarrel pump action minigrenade launcer.  The actual working prop guns were made up from Thompson subguns & Remington 870 12g pumps in fiberglass drag.  www.goldenarmor.com/weapons/weapon1i.htm
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 6:38:50 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Add another $200 tax stamp for the shotgun (chopped 870) under the barrel.

As for barrels, just turn a standard Semi carbine barrel down after you get your 2-Form 4's (submitted as form 1's) back from BAFT.

I'm still not sure if I will have the shotgun deactivated and skip the hassle. It'd probably be hell on the rest of the gun to fire it anyway. I guess I could use low recoil rounds though. I will unfortunately definately have to register the Thompson as a short barreled rifle however.

And forgive me, but I forgot to mention that the 16" carbine barrel swells/widens too far out away from the reciever and would interfere with the slotted barrel vent that disguises the barrel. That's why I'll have to most likely go with a straight barrel (kinda like the AR-15 noodle type) that will most likely have to be custom made unless there's a way to extend the 10.5" WW2 era type barrel. I assume that's what they extended the barrels in the movie in the movie because as you can see, the barrel still has the swollen/thicker area near the reciever in the pictures. It may have been a blank firing adapter that acted as the extention however. Here's a picture of the 16" version:

Link Posted: 12/17/2003 4:18:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Nobody knows anybody that could do some custom barrel work?
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 9:44:35 PM EDT
[#6]
There are a ton of expert weapons builders in Phoenix. From Robar down to local guys on every other street corner it seems. I see you are from Az. so get to Phoenix and grab a hold of a phone book. Take your pick. You can spend days calling & talking to guys. Have fun & bring your checkbook!
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 7:15:54 AM EDT
[#7]
KKF, maybe?
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 7:34:24 AM EDT
[#8]
Cheapest way out is to cut down a 16 inch barrel. It will still require the forms and taxes for a short barreled rifle. Do a search for class 3 dealers in your area. They can tell you who is licensed to do SBR work.
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 12:46:54 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
There are a ton of expert weapons builders in Phoenix. From Robar down to local guys on every other street corner it seems. I see you are from Az. so get to Phoenix and grab a hold of a phone book. Take your pick. You can spend days calling & talking to guys. Have fun & bring your checkbook!

sniper is right on the money, there are a lot of very cool younger guys in the business who are familiar with what you'll want.  When you get a finalized plan talk to Derek a AZEX arms about what you want to do and he can turn you on top all the right folks about your ATF stuff and barrel work and such. Even if he doesn't know...he'll know someone who does.
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 1:50:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for the info guys. Should come in handy when I get my little project off the ground.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top