Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 9/2/2004 12:18:34 PM EST
Howdy all,

I have been bitten by the CMP/Garand bug. I meet all the eligibility requirements except for that of club membership. There aren't any close to me and I was wondering if any of you could point me to a club I could join online to fulfill this requirement so I can get a Garand! Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 12:39:28 PM EST
Hi, I am a member of the Georgia Sport Shooting Association, Inc. and if you join this you will be qualified to purchase from the CMP. You can go to their website and print out the form and mail it in. This will cost you $15.00 per year. Hope this will help you get a M1 Garand.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 2:18:04 PM EST
Garand Collectors Association is a CMP affiliated club. $25.00 a year membership.
GCA
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 3:58:17 PM EST
wow, thanks so much for the quick replies! What is the website URL for the Georgia Sport Shooting Association? thanks also for the Garand collectors info. My mom is from GA so I gotta give them a little preference!
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 11:44:20 PM EST
The website for the Georgia Sport Shooting Association is www.gssa .com
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 12:26:01 PM EST
go with the GCA. They forward your info right to the CMP and also provide you with 4 issues of their newsletter, basically a small magizine with nothing but info about garands.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 9:45:27 AM EST
I have also been bitten by the bug. I've always been interested in a Garand, but actually got to fire one at the range this past Monday. There was a very nice gentleman there who had a beautiful Winchester. He saw me "drooling" over it and the next thing I know he's handed it over and says, "you look like you really want to shoot her, so have at it." Man, now I see what all the fuss is about. I've been thinking about that rifle for 2 solid days!

After reading this post, and seeing how easy it is to fulfill the CMP requirements, I'm going to start the process.

Which of the CMP rifles would be a good starter for a Garand newbie?

Thanks guys.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 6:59:02 PM EST
This guy wants an 03A3 Springfield.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 8:10:37 AM EST
Anykey, go with the Service Grade Springfield Armory M1 Garand. They are usually in good shape.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 8:33:24 AM EST
Do it and get both, you won't regret it!!!

I joined the GCA (the magazine that is included is filled with Garabd research).

Bought a service grade Dane with a var barrel and it looks good and shoots great.

Also got a 03A3 Springfield and it too looks good and shoots great.

Nothing quite like the bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, PING!!!
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 1:19:15 PM EST
I bought a Greek Rack Grade from DCM at the North Store (Camp Perry , Ohio). Was able to look over a bunch of them and selected a 1955 H&R Arms M1. Price was $295, so I jumped on it. After looking it over thoroughly with my gunsmith we found the barrel is pretty worn at the muzzle, the stock was butt ugly European Beech, but most everything else is very good shape. I decided to get a new stock, replace the barrel, and get it re-parkerized.

In retrospect I may have been better off getting a service grade rifle, but I'm happy with what I have. This is my second M1. Damned things are like potato chips..... can't have just one!
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 4:16:36 AM EST
Thanks guys. I guess you cannot go to the Alabama location and pick out your rifle, correct? You can only go to the Ohio location?
Top Top