Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/17/2002 10:42:06 AM EDT
Mrs. Wiggy has had some joint and nerve damage in her right(dominant), arm and as such cannot expect to operate the slide on a semi-auto handgun. As such, I am looking for a small frame revolver in at least a .38 spcl or even better a .357 mag with a ported bbl.
Mrs. Wiggy is a stong woman but is quite slight in build, 5'8", blonde with blue eyes....sorry, I am getting off topic here. NO, to all of the pic requests!!

Please advise of your opinions and selections.
Link Posted: 7/17/2002 10:45:05 AM EDT
[#1]
Larger frame revolver=less recoil.  Consider a large frame .357 loaded with .38 or .38+p.  Small frame .357 bite hard.  Light weight small frame .357's are brutal.  
Link Posted: 7/17/2002 11:11:52 AM EDT
[#2]
Yea.. you don't want to buy her one of those new super lightweight .357's small frames.. i shot one bullet and will never shoot another thru such a gun..
Link Posted: 7/17/2002 1:01:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Based on your requirements, I would look at the Taurus line-up. The Taurus Model 85 is a pretty decent 5 shot 38 with 2" barrel. Taurus also has a similar model (sorry, can't remember the model # on these) chambered in .357 Magnum, 6 shots and a 2" ported barrel. And of course you can always track down a good ol' Model 36 Smith and Wesson Chief's Special. But I wouldn't entirely overlook a good 4" barrel model such as the Smith and Wesson Model 10. Slap you a set of Hogue or Pachmayr's on it and the more effective +P loads won't be as hard on her as with the short barrel ones.
Link Posted: 7/17/2002 3:46:56 PM EDT
[#4]
The Taurus M85 is a nice gun, but it has a grip that leaves your pinky finger dangling in mid-air. My wife did not feel she had control of the weapon.

She likes to carry a Colt SF-VI (that's a roman numeral six). Six shot .38Special. It has rubber grips and enough weight to it that it is very comfortable to shoot.

I have a Smith Model 60 Lady Smith .357 that I prefer. Smooth wood grips, five shot, smaller than the Colt and very easy to conceal. Not as much fun to shoot, but it is very handy.

I'd skip the ported barrel. It will change the recoil of the gun so that rather than the nose flipping up, the gun will push back into her hand. This may be more controllable, but it is not more comfortable. Puts more stress on the wrist and elbow.

You are going to take her shopping and let her decide for herself, right?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top