Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/14/2004 8:28:51 PM EDT
I'm thinking on buying a Turkish Mauser Model 38, large ring rifle, in 8mm caliber, with straight bolt handle. It has a 29 inch barrel. In good condition for $64.50. Is that a good price for this rifle?
What do thet mean by large ring rifle? I have 2 Mosin Nagants and I want to add another C+R rifle to my collection. Thanks for any info.
Later,
Gavino
Link Posted: 8/14/2004 9:32:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Large ring refers to the outside diameter of the receiver ring.

The Turks used to be cheap.  If it headspaces and has rifling that is a good deal.

There is a Turkish mauser forum.

Dennis Jenkins

Quoted:
I'm thinking on buying a Turkish Mauser Model 38, large ring rifle, in 8mm caliber, with straight bolt handle. It has a 29 inch barrel. In good condition for $64.50. Is that a good price for this rifle?
What do thet mean by large ring rifle? I have 2 Mosin Nagants and I want to add another C+R rifle to my collection. Thanks for any info.
Later,
Gavino

Link Posted: 8/23/2004 9:39:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Mausers are large ring or small ring.

Except for Turks.  Originally the Turkish army had small ring Mausers.  When they adopted the 1898 Mauser (large ring) for thier own use, they modified the design in several ways to make it the Turkish 1938.  One of the mods was, while it has the large ring outer dimensions, it has the barrel shank and threads of a small ring Mauser.  That way, all the older barrels they had could still be used on the new recievers.  

So......the Turk is kinda a bastard.  Externally its big and heavy like a large ring, and fits stocks for large ring guns.  But if you want to rebarrel it, you'll need a small ring barrel.  Also, there is hesitation about building custom big bore sporters out of these because of the reduced barrel shank size.  The workmanship on them doesn't compare to Czech Mausers either.  The workmanship and small shank barrel are reasons the VZ24 and 22/98 are more highly desirable and cost more.  You can usually find a good looking Turk for $100 at a gun show, while a Czech gun will be covered in cosmo and the finish worn off at that price.  
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 10:18:33 PM EDT
[#3]
The 1954 dated AFT Turk 38's have large ring receivers that accept large shank barrels.

Dennis Jenkins

Quoted:
Mausers are large ring or small ring.

Except for Turks.  Originally the Turkish army had small ring Mausers.  When they adopted the 1898 Mauser (large ring) for thier own use, they modified the design in several ways to make it the Turkish 1938.  One of the mods was, while it has the large ring outer dimensions, it has the barrel shank and threads of a small ring Mauser.  That way, all the older barrels they had could still be used on the new recievers.  

So......the Turk is kinda a bastard.  Externally its big and heavy like a large ring, and fits stocks for large ring guns.  But if you want to rebarrel it, you'll need a small ring barrel.  Also, there is hesitation about building custom big bore sporters out of these because of the reduced barrel shank size.  The workmanship on them doesn't compare to Czech Mausers either.  The workmanship and small shank barrel are reasons the VZ24 and 22/98 are more highly desirable and cost more.  You can usually find a good looking Turk for $100 at a gun show, while a Czech gun will be covered in cosmo and the finish worn off at that price.  

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top