Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/12/2005 6:39:40 AM EDT
Very long story as short as possible.  When I was in my mid teens (lets say 25+ years ago) a friend of my mom's (okay, boyfriend) bought me  Thompson Center .50 cal flintlock rifle kit.  I built it and loved shooting it.  But, my mom's friend had all of the supplies (black powder, ammo, etc etc.).   I want to get restarted shooting it, but need some guidence on proper supplies and info.

Questions:

1) Where can i get a manual just to reread background info, etc?
2) What are the basic supplies to have?  I know i need 2 kinds of BP, probably a new flint, ammo, etc
3) A good book for how to's, techniques, etc?
4) Any other good sources of info...web forums, etc
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 4:00:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Well, I think wal mart sells the black powder loading manual by Sam Fadala, that's a pretty good book to have. I don't remember which printing it was but it was one of the first books I ever had on the subject way back when.

Basic supplies would probably be either 3f or 2f powder, depending on caliber, and 4f for ignition. Ball, of course, some patching material and patch lube, and a load of flints. Maybe you can knap flint, but I've never been any good at it so I just chuck them when they won't ignit the pan anymore or save them for the tinder kit. You'll also need some cleaning supplies, like a good jag and some BP solvent, since black powder is corrosive and unforgiving of poor cleaning.

For web references I'd go to nmlra.org, and you might look into muzzleloadingforum.com. There's some good links and info to be had at some of those.

Any ideas on wich rifle you're looking at?

Cpt. Redleg
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 6:25:30 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Well, I think wal mart sells the black powder loading manual by Sam Fadala, that's a pretty good book to have. I don't remember which printing it was but it was one of the first books I ever had on the subject way back when.

Basic supplies would probably be either 3f or 2f powder, depending on caliber, and 4f for ignition. Ball, of course, some patching material and patch lube, and a load of flints. Maybe you can knap flint, but I've never been any good at it so I just chuck them when they won't ignit the pan anymore or save them for the tinder kit. You'll also need some cleaning supplies, like a good jag and some BP solvent, since black powder is corrosive and unforgiving of poor cleaning.

For web references I'd go to nmlra.org, and you might look into muzzleloadingforum.com. There's some good links and info to be had at some of those.

Any ideas on wich rifle you're looking at?

Not 100% sure of specific model, but its a T/C Hawkin flintlock in .50

Cpt. Redleg

Link Posted: 12/14/2005 12:31:19 PM EDT
[#3]
T/C makes a good rifle. Can't go wrong with them really. I think they all use a coil mainspring which I always liked.

Cpt. Redleg
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top