Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/21/2011 5:44:59 PM EDT
I am going to buy my first suppressor and am not sure what to buy hopefully someone has used these and could give me some good advice. I am considering either the Gemtech Trek or the AAC Ranger I am not worried about a quick detach and it will only be used on my 16" 5.56 build and on my 16" dedicated 22lr. build also does it affect the accuracy much. Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 4/21/2011 6:09:49 PM EDT
[#1]
I can't compare either of the cans other than their merits on paper.

I can tell you that you shouldn't use a sealed centerfire can with .22lr.  It's simply not a good idea.  .22lr is filthy nasty and there's a reason that most .22lr cans are user serviceable.
Link Posted: 4/21/2011 8:00:41 PM EDT
[#2]
For a thread-on can, I would seriously consider the deal Gemtech is currently offering on the Trek-T.  
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 10:06:45 AM EDT
[#3]
Um, I would not waste a tax stamp on either.  That is just my opinion.  Shop around and find better quality cans at below MSRP prices.  They are for sure out there.  Stay away from .22 on a sealed can for sure.  QD may not matter to you now, but is sure might in the future.  If you want a good thread on can, I would recommend YHMs Phantom.  Otherwise, go with a QD can.  You will thank me later on down the road.
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 10:29:21 AM EDT
[#4]
Like the guy above said, get a good quality QD can and don't look back.  Most of the thread on cans tend to come unscrewed as you shoot.  It sucks to have to be worried constantly that your can is coming loose.  Which can cause baffle/end cap strikes if it gets to loose.

There are tons of good QD cans out there for 5.56.  For guns with barrels of 12.5" or longer consider an AAC SPR/M4 or other reflex designs.
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 10:57:43 AM EDT
[#5]
Can anyone recommend a good can that is QD and non sealed.
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 11:04:18 AM EDT
[#6]
Get a .22 can for .22.  They are inexpensive.  They start for under what your transfer tax will cost you.  I understand your want for a one can multiple caliber hosts predicament.  I am an FFL/SOT.  If you want a good quality 5.56 can, the baffles are going to be welded anyway and really won't allow you to clean them like you want.  The lead fouling is going to make the can heavy.  In my book, its just a no-go.  I am not saying that I have not done it, but with my personal or demo stuff, I will not do it again.  PM sent.
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 11:48:42 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

I can't think of a single one.

Link Posted: 4/27/2011 12:12:39 PM EDT
[#8]
So it looks like I will need one for 22lr. and one for 5.56.
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 12:20:14 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Thats the only way to go really.

Link Posted: 4/27/2011 12:41:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 12:44:28 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

That's what we've been gently trying to tell you since the beginning of this thread.

Link Posted: 4/27/2011 2:29:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Now that you have figured this out, it is time to decide what you want out of each suppressor.  5.56 cans are all going to either ring your ears or come darn close to it.  They are not anything like a Hollywood movie makes them sound.  I suggest (as others have) QD for a 5.56 can such as the AAC M4-2000 which is recommended alot here.  
For a 22lr can you have lots of choices.  I always suggest a .22lr can as a first suppressor.  I know I shoot more of my 22lr cans than all others combined.  22lr cans can be very quiet.  Hollywood quiet.  Get something you can take apart to clean and comes from a company that has a good reputation.  AAC Element, Gemtech Alpine, Liberty KodiakTL, SWR Spectre are all good cans as well as numerous others.  The only one I would stay away from is the YHM Mite (loud).  Different .22 cans offer different features.  Aluminum vs. stainless, light or heavier weight, Monocore vs K baffles, etc.  Some .22 cans can even be used on 22mag and 17.  

Good luck and welcome to the addiction.
Link Posted: 4/28/2011 7:08:05 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I can't think of a single one.

HTG ARIS-4. Excellent performer and user serviceable.

Link Posted: 4/28/2011 10:11:18 PM EDT
[#14]
I don't recommend a thread mount can. You will almost certainly want to move it around between hosts and your zero will wander as a result. "QD" mounts are much more solid and won't shoot loose, plus you can index to the same point every time, giving you a repeatable POI shift.

A 5.56 can is a great place to start, assuming you understand that it's not going to be super quiet. If you shoot a .22lr rifle without hearing protection, you'll probably shoot a 5.56 can without ears too.

It is not recommended that you fire large volumes of .22lr through any sealed can and most centerfire cans are sealed. Surefire reps advise me that no damage will be done if I shoot .22lr through my FA556AR and don't even provide the caveat that I keep the volume low. Nevertheless, I don't shoot more than a handful of .22lr through it at a time. You should get a .22lr can anyway.

DO NOT compromise. You are spending a lot of money regardless and you will likely own it for the rest of your life.What's a couple more bucks to get exactly what you want? Consider ALL of the features and get the can that fits your needs best.
Link Posted: 4/28/2011 10:15:10 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

I don't recommend a thread mount can. You will almost certainly want to move it around between hosts and your zero will wander as a result. "QD" mounts are much more solid and won't shoot loose, plus you can index to the same point every time, giving you a repeatable POI shift.

A thread on can will index to the same point every time.

Link Posted: 4/28/2011 10:26:45 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Quoted:

A thread on can will index to the same point every time.

Only if your Mk I hand is properly calibrated. You're right that it will engage the threads the same but the amount of torque that you apply will vary every time. I've been told this will affect POI. I don't have any personal experience because my only thread mount can is an Outback II and I haven't really shot it for groups. Not sure if the difference would even be as apparent with a .22lr can.

Edited for speeling.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 6:37:33 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 6:43:07 AM EDT
[#18]
Gemtec G5-22
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top