Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/1/2009 5:26:11 PM EDT
Ok, I'm in need for some tok ammo, the surplus variety.  I have only so far shot the Romy stuff, which was the stuff made in the 80's, I bought from Aim, I have shot 3 boxes of that up, and find it to be pretty accurate, but I need to order more, in the can size.  I got Century's specials for this month and they have 1200rd can of the 50's polish stuff on sale from $109 to $86.87 a can!  Thought about picking up a can since it was so cheap, just wondering how it performs as far as the other stuff out there.

I also seen they had the 1000rd cans of the 80's yugo stuff for $109 I think.  How good is this stuff??  I have found Yugo ammo to be top notch in all other calibers I've tried, so is the 7.62x25 just as good??  

As far as the Bulgy stuff, if it's anything like the 54R bulgy ammo, I don't want anything to do with it
Link Posted: 9/1/2009 6:42:33 PM EDT
[#1]
The 80's Yugo is some really good ammo.

I bought 2 tins of the Polish from Century and nearly every round has a cracked neck. Century sorted out the cracked neck lots but between the Polish and Yugo ammo the Yugo is better buy....
Link Posted: 9/1/2009 7:15:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Century has a disclaimer on their site about the cracked necks, they say it doesn't affect anything, and it probably doesn't, but I kinda would have to agree with the yugo.  It's also 30yrs newer too can't hurt
Link Posted: 9/2/2009 8:33:28 AM EDT
[#3]
Cracked necks and split cases are almost Commie standards.
I've fired CASES of this stuff, had no problems, and only one mis-fire which looked more like a light-primer strike.
Link Posted: 9/2/2009 11:56:05 AM EDT
[#4]
Hows the polish stuff for accuracy?  Is it all pretty much on the same level with the yugo, romy?
Link Posted: 9/3/2009 4:07:56 PM EDT
[#5]
I found the Yugo 7.62x25 that I used to feed my CZ-52 had hard primers and would need a second strike sometimes. I'd go with the Romanian tins from AIM.
Link Posted: 9/3/2009 7:09:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
As far as the Bulgy stuff, if it's anything like the 54R bulgy ammo, I don't want anything to do with it

Just a heads-up on the Bulgarian ammo:
http://web.archive.org/web/20060527051751/www.geocities.com/Yosemite/Gorge/4653/bad.htm
Link Posted: 9/4/2009 12:02:28 PM EDT
[#7]
I've noticed many of the 50s ammo from various countries have cracks, I try to stay away
Link Posted: 9/7/2009 8:16:11 AM EDT
[#8]
I've shot a hlf a tin of that cracked neck polish stuff (which I got from Century for $92 on sale early this year––so that new price is pretty good).  75% of the cases crack half way down the body during the shooting process (looking at recovered brass).  They all fire, don't rust my gun, and are accurate enough for plinking.  I usually take 4 days to a week to clean the gun after firing, but have AC in my car and home, if that matters.

I bought a 50 round box of older interarms ammo from a buddy, and it seems much hotter––produces a nice, star shaped fireball.  I should buy more of it from him. (.10 per round).  Brass seemed fine.

I have yet to shoot my Sportsman's Guide stuff or my Romanian.

All firing done form a Romanian TT33 with a pit in the bore.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 2:29:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Update:  I got two duds from the Interarms (out of 50), brass was good after.

I have yet to get a dud from my century surp with the "cosmetic" crack in the case necks.  See typical fired casing picture below.  I have fired about 1000 rounds of this Polish stuff so far.

Sometimes the crack is wider and longer, but this is how the majority look after firing.  Seems worth it for $90 for 1200 or so rounds.

Accuracy is minute of center -of-mass man at 15 yards rapid fire.  I can get eight inch groups with ease.  Head shots when slowing down some at 15 yards. I have never rested the gun.

Link Posted: 9/20/2009 2:49:55 PM EDT
[#10]
I dunno, a cracked neck increases the chances of bullet setback>>>KB, even with the dimples on Tok ammo I'm not willing to take that chance.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top