Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/9/2006 5:06:48 PM EDT
I'm thinking of throughing togather some loads for an SA M1A, 1 in 11 twist.  Iwill probably be using Lapua brass, sierra Matchking 175gr, VihtaVuori N540 powder and Federal Goldmedal Large rifle match primers.  I need ya'lls input as to whether or not you feel this sort of combination will generate the proper impulse for the gas system.  I know reloading for a semi auto is a lot different than the bolt guns i'm used to.  I saw no particular forum that this would be applicable to and that is why i posted it here.  I use a Dillon RL550b loader and am accustomed to match quality requirements.( i've got an old rockchucker from RCBS i use to deprime prior to cleaning a once fored case)  Thanks in advance for your time/inputs.   hinking.gif
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 8:07:13 PM EDT
[#1]
168MKs
IMR4895
LC Match Brass
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 8:51:31 PM EDT
[#2]
The 175 gr SMK is an excellent bullet and is suitable for a 1:11 twist barrel. I haven't used Vit powder so I cannot comment on it. The gas system on the M1A is a little more forgiving than the Garand.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 1:27:27 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
168MKs
IMR4895
LC Match Brass

+1,A proven M1A formula.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 6:40:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Need some advice on reloading for M1A?

Well, after expending all ammunition, the bolt should lock back, grasp magazine in right hand while holding foregrip with your left hand. Now use your right thumb to depress the magazine release and rotate the magazine foward, down, and out. Then locate a loaded magazine, grasp it with your right hand, and rock it into the magazine well of your M14, front to back, and down to up. It should "click" indicating that the magazine catch caught the magazine. Then use your pinky finger to pull the operating rod handle back, then release.

Link Posted: 4/10/2006 7:43:43 AM EDT
[#5]
I also debated using N540 as I have a can ready for use. But, I decided that it was a little too slow for the gas system and went with Varget instead. I think I am using Nosler 168 match, CCI 200, IMI Match, and 42.5gr of Varget for 2550fps. 10 shots under 1.5".
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top