Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/2/2005 8:07:54 AM EDT
I recently purchased an old sporterized mauser with scope and sling. I have no clue when it comes to mausers and need some help. I am told it's a large ring and is chambered in 7x57. The finish is marginal and the stock has been redone. The bore is good. I bought it for a project gun. I want to replace the stock and maybe the barrel and probably the trigger but I don't know series or model number it is.
What information do I need off of the gun to determine what will fit? Did FN only make one type of mauser?

The numbers match on the reciever and barrel. The bolt seems like it's chromed or has a high polish to it and it has a nice turndown to it. The reciever has been polished down to the white but it's not rusted. Is it stainless? It has scope mounts drilled and tapped to it and under the front one there is some elaborate crest.  There are a ton of markings on it and I was told it's from the 30's.  Please tell me what info is needed on the markings and I will post it.

Thank you for your help

Update:  The place I bought it from said it was a 1935 model and the same thing as a 98
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 8:00:21 PM EDT
[#1]
It's hard to say exactly what you have. A lot of sporters were made on FN commercial actions, and they were very good actions indeed. I think they even sold some at Sears in the 1950s. I'm sure it's not Stainless.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 6:27:56 PM EDT
[#2]
You probably have a military Mauser made by FN sometime between WWI and WWII.

After WWI, the German Mauser company's business was pretty well taken by the Belgians.

The FN company made Model 98 Mauser rifles for the world, including just about every country in South America.

Most of these rifles were large ring M98 Mauser's, with slight alterations for each buyer.
Most of these were variations on the FN Model 1924/30 and the 1935 models.

Sounds like your rifle has had the bolt and action bright polished.  Take care to keep a coat of lube on it or it'll rust quickly, since it's just bare steel.

TO positively ID the exact model and what country it was made for, look for a stamp on the left side of the receiver, between the barrel and the rear of the bolt.

If you can remove the scope mount, you can describe the crest which was specific to each country.

These rifles were fine quality, and make excellent shooters and custom rifles as long as the action is in good shape.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 4:26:08 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the help.  I took it to the range this weekend.  The first 4 shot group was smaller than 1/2" with the first 3 shots going into the same hole.  This was with standard Remmington core-lock ammo.  All groups shot were under an inch.  I don't think I can bring myself to change much about it.  Maybe a trigger.  My father looked at it and thought that they had cut the origional down and removed the top peice and front sight.  It has the step down barrel.  On the left side it has FNH spelled out and Made in Belgium in another langauge.  It also has a small oval with what looks like a crown on it and maybe RLH in it.  I don't quite remember the exact letters.  

Thanks for you help
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top