Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 8/30/2015 7:28:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/30/2015 7:46:09 PM EDT by BAYOU1535]
I will be ordering a plate carrier and stand alone plates soon and I don't know which direction to go.  Been wearing soft armor for quite a few years but positions have changed and I want more protection.  I have $700 to spend for the carrier and plates, ceramic not steel.  I will be using this multiple times a week for work and need good equipment.  I was looking at the tactec from 5.11 but I worry the cumberbund or side straps will stretch out quickly.  The other carrier I was looking at is the mayflower but really have no idea between the two.  I will not be hanging much gear as the swat guys will be on scene with all there toys.  Primarily a radio holder, spare pistol and a couple rifle mags and zip cuffs.  Not set on what I will actually put on the carrier as I plan on getting a war belt or something similar for my duty pistol and misc. items.  I need to be mobile and not carry a lot of gear, quick entry no knocks.  It would be nice to be able to get the plates from galls but that is not the only option.  I have looked at others like the banshee and I'm not set on a carrier but rather seeing what the best option is.  Suggestions will be helpful, thanks.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 7:52:01 PM EDT
Go to SKD and check out the first spear first on PC and the SKD Brig PC.  SKD also has had some decent deals on NIJ ceramic plates.

I use the FS First On for my active shooter/rifle threat throw on over soft armor work rig. It's a slick plate carrier with Velcro for ID patches, a radio pouch (that actually works with a Motorola XTS 5000 with shoulder mic), and 2 AR mag pouches sewn on.  For under $100.

The Brig will let you run as little or as much as you need but you will have to buy the pouches.

Good luck and stay safe,
Rob
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 11:46:56 PM EDT
Mayflower is top notch; I'd wager you'd be happy with a Mayflower, I am and know several guys who are:  they are heavy duty when it comes to the abuse department.

For a lighter, "slicker" (since you won't be running a lot of additional gear) package, take a look at the Crye Jumpable (if you can run coyote brown or ranger green; no black):  they hold up a lot better than their looks (especially shoulder strap attachment area) would lead you to believe.  We have a number of guys running Cryes w/o problem and I am in fact going to get a Jumpable for my "short range" (i.e. not carrying as much gear) runs.
Top Top