Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/10/2001 7:23:59 PM EDT
I have a mini 14 with a butler creek folding stock and I can't figure out how to field strip it. Any help would be nice. Thanks
Link Posted: 12/10/2001 7:39:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Just like an M1 Garand.

Take a screw drive blade and put it into the hole in the trigger guard with the handle of the screw driver along the underside of the shoulder stock. Pry upwards - you're going to un-hook the aft end of the trigger guard from a notch in the receiver.

This will cause a portion of the trigger assembly to cam over and unlock from the inside. Slide the trigger assembly (whole) out the bottom of the receiver. You can now separate the metal of the rifle from the wood from the rear.

The front of the stock hooks into the barrel aft of the front sight.

To get the thing back together just carefully align the vertical edge of a small ridge in the trigger assembly with the matching notch on the inside of the receiver.

Ruger will send you a free manual if you ask.
Link Posted: 12/10/2001 7:46:17 PM EDT
[#2]

You're attempting to move the bottom of the trigger guard in the direction shown by the arrow.
Link Posted: 12/11/2001 3:33:06 PM EDT
[#3]
It has a pistol grip and I cannot get the srewdriver against the stock.
Link Posted: 12/11/2001 4:00:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/11/2001 4:11:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks everyone.
Link Posted: 12/11/2001 4:47:29 PM EDT
[#6]
You must first remove the pistol grip. With the pistol grip removed you may then pry the trigger guard from its locked position and the rifle should come apart.

at least with a Ruger folder that is the case.

edited because I don't have a buttler creek stock.
Link Posted: 12/11/2001 4:49:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Pictures are always better.

Step 1, this needs to be done with the rifle cocked, it is easier.

After inserting the screw driver, push it towards the muzzle, using one hand to hold the rifle.

Rotate the trigger guard forward till it stops, then pull it down.  It should come right out.

Grab the receiver and pull up and slightly forward.  The barrel assembly will now separate from the stock.

Pull the slide back until it reaches the little notch towards the back of the rifle.  I press the receiver heel against my leg while pulling the slide to the back and slightly to the right.  The slide will now be loose from the gun.  Slowly let the spring pressure out.

The bolt will come out fairly easy.  Do not try to disassemble the bolt.  It is difficult without the proper tool.  Below is the rifle disassembled as far as you should take it.

Edited because that was the worst example of poor spelling and wording that I have done in  a long time.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top